Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Perceived Danger of WiFi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hughie, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Hughie

I may need to do a flight or two in close proximity to some occupied residential properties. I tend to avoid them as a rule. However I wondered whether anyone can suggest whether there is a credible threat to 2.4/5.8Ghz interference (or any other problem) caused by domestic routers and internet devices active inside a home.

I know from setting up WiFi CCTV in my garden that actually the router signal does not penetrate a great distance outside a house, but if I am flying very close to a building, I am in theory liable to any interference that spread spectrum techniques cannot protect against.

Any scientific or anecdotal views invited.
    Thanks.

2. TeamYankee

Generally Wi-fi is on a fixed channel, the 2.4Ghz control is spread spectrum, frequency agile, so interference should be minimal.
    I've flown my Phantom 2 on the front lawn, within 15 feet (LOS out of a window) of a router running 100mw (that also has 9db onmi antennas) with no issues at all.

3. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Most of my flying is in the presence of dozens of Wi-Fi signals. I was really nervous about it when I first got my P2. Not any more. The P2 (non-vision) has a great radio setup. It uses FASST which spreads control packets all over the frequency spectrum, i.e. spread spectrum. I've put it between multiple tall, fully-occuppied buildings with no issues.

Just avoid hovering within 10ft of antennas and you should be fine.

4. Hughie

Thanks chaps. Will give it a go.