Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

payload drop mechanism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kitari, Nov 4, 2014.

1. kitari

Has anyone here tried to make one for the phantom? I found this video on youtube and thought it would be a nice project to try out. Also what would you need to control the servo wirelessly like that?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLDBvAhzRM0[/youtube]

2. BWJ

BWJ

3. kitari

Nice! Thanks for the link, looks fairly simple to install so I might give it a try.

4. pilsburypie

If you have a zenmuse gimbal that allows camera tilt you could probably easily rig something up on this allowing it to release on demand.....

5. kitari

I wish I had a gimbal, but sadly my little fc40's all stock. The link BWJ posted looks like a fairly easy to install setup though so I might look into it around the end of this week.

6. witold

You don't need a gimbal. You just need an extra channel on the controller to trigger the servo via radio. Some people use that spare channel for gimbal tilt, some people use it to trigger still camera, some people use it for retracting landing gear, some people use it to turn on and off lights on the quad.... The important thing is that the flight controller has that extra channel and your radio has a switch.

7. kitari

I forgot all about that, I'd probably have to get the actual switch part since mine doesn't have it, but there should be an open port or something right? I also have a devo 7 controller coming fairly soon as well, but I don't know if that would work on the phantom or not. If it does that'll make things much easier.

8. PsychopathRC

Why do you wan't this capability? Wait a minute.. You haven't recently been flying over French power stations have you? ;)

9. kitari

lol, nope wasn't me, I just want to be able to drop water balloons on people actually. :p

10. robinb

1L of water is 1kg
    Will have to be small balloons

11. justin00

Hmmm

If I have P2V+ does that mean the 7th channel is in use by the gimbal?? Or is the 7th channel only in use if I have the lever thing in the r/c? I'm guessing its in use..but figured I'd double check..