Panties in a bunch..

Reaction score
People, I've been watching for the last couple of weeks and the complaining about locked threads or deleted posts is approaching the absurd. Complaining about 1st amendment rights and the like.

As a website owner/forum operator of MANY years and quite a few forums, let's summarize.

First Amendment rights/censorship claims only apply to the government quashing your freedom to express yourself (USA). When you are dealing with an entity such as a website, there are scenarios in play where website owners are trying to absolve themselves of litigation (libel and/or slander and the like) should such statements be made. So if a website owner thinks a post broaches into that area, they may remove it and they do not have to state why (however most will).

When a site becomes as large as this one has in such a short time, the website owner will need to recruit members to police (mods). In a community such as this, it's not really possible to do a physical 'interview', so the site admin must judge whether or not a poster can be trusted to do this. People make mistakes. Admins sometimes recruit people who like to use the big red button because they can. They are usually rooted out very quickly however and replaced with someone a little better at the job.

Along the lines of people making mistakes, mods and admins make them as well. They may very well delete a thread or edit one that may not have needed it. Not out of spite or retribution, but just because they didn't know the specifics. You will find that rather than calling out a mod publicly, a PM to any of the mods will garner a better response as they all typically have access to find out who made a specific edit or delete. They can then address amongst themselves and report back to the forum as a whole, or, depending on the case, in a PM.

So rather than claiming you are being censored, find out privately what is going on first. Calling out mods publicly is like inciting a riot and has a domino effect.

EDIT: also, keep in mind most do not traverse the forum 24 hours a day, so they cannot keep up with all that is going on. And considering the volume of posting going on, even if they were on 24/7, it would still be difficult.

JWarren said:
Ah HA! I haven't worn underwear in over 15 years so you are wrong!

Well played sir..and TMI!

I guess my point is that being a mod is pretty much a thankless job. I for one am posting this to thank Adam and the mods for all they do for the community. I know what it's like to be the target of this kind of criticism.

concur. Before all these new mods were added let's be honest this place was chaos... threads never in the right place, duplicates upon duplicates, bad attitudes...

now that we have a bunch of guys moderating things I feel like mine and especially newer members' experience is much better. If your thread was a dupe or had devolved into useless arguing then your "rights" aren't exactly being violated when a mod takes control and closes things down.
Nobody is perfect, mistakes happen but mostly if they're closing or moving a thread there's a good reason. Also remember these guys are 100% volunteers and I for one am thankful.

I think it was mods editing users posts so that it said something different than was their original intention that got some in twist and deleting some so they only showed up when quoted. I'm not one of them nor have I seen it first hand. BTW. I been happy so far apart from the odd rude one. But that's forums. Generally well done Adam and the mods.

Explanations are always better than silence though.

When I see a post like the ones describe I try and be a voice of reason and remind members that the mods have an open door policy and welcome questions. I too have added that it's a hard, and thankless job, mistakes happen...pretty much everything you've said. They (the members) were resistant to logic and reason, and didn't want to contact the mod. I found it odd, but other members worked somehow with the mods and it was brought to a resolution.

I guess the moral of the story is if we see something like that going on, we need to keep reminding the members that there is a proper course of action with disputes, and what steps they need to take. Because it's really not something the mod themselves can really address, they being the accused.

IrishSights said:
I'm not one of them nor have I seen it first hand.

I understand your concerns, but I also have not seen any evidence that this is true. I find the idea of repeating it so disturbing that I wouldn't quote the text. I think we need to be fair to the mods, and I don't think this type of unsubstantiated claim is fair.

I'm not trying to get on your bad side, I really enjoy your posts and videos, but I really don't think that's fair.

CarlJ said:
IrishSights said:
I'm not one of them nor have I seen it first hand.

I understand your concerns, but I also have not seen any evidence that this is true. I find the idea of repeating it so disturbing that I wouldn't quote the text. I think we need to be fair to the mods, and I don't think this type of unsubstantiated claim is fair.

I'm not trying to get on your bad side, I really enjoy your posts and videos, but I really don't think that's fair.
If you want to bury your head in the sand then thats your perogative. Way back then they were substanciated. All I can say is you are easily distrurbed if its my post that disturbed you. Lighten up. My post was positive and supporting the OP.

IrishSights said:
If you want to bury your head in the sand then thats your perogative. Way back then they were substanciated. All I can say is you are easily distrurbed if its my post that disturbed you. Lighten up. My post was positive and supporting the OP.

I was under the impression that we had some growing pains as a result of the server transfer, and that a few mistakes had been made, but that there was absolutely nothing malicious about it. You seem to be saying that it was malicious, and yes, I find that very disturbing.

It was basically one mod going around changing and deleting post , I saw it and so did others, why do you think they were bitching about ?
I don't think they need you being an apologist for them. The guy was flat out wrong. It's over and done now so why start it back up ?
And no it wasn't any of my post.

Mori55 said:
It's over and done now so why start it back up ?

I don't know, you'll have to ask Irish. I guess he doesn't feel it's over and done, and judging from your misplaced aggression, neither do you! :lol:

It not aggression , but you said yourself you didn't see the threads this happened, so how can you comment?. Plus you seem to be stiring the pot.
Even the OP of the booster app thread , commented that why was post and comments, being deleted and changed in his thread.
Plus it wasn't just that thread either.

Mori55 said:
It not aggression , but you said yourself you didn't see the threads this happened, so how can you comment?.

No, I said I did see a thread where a similar claim was made, I said I posted in that thread... :?

I agree that mods editing posts is bad form but it isn't illegal or a freaking 1st amendment violation, you're on private property here anyway if that's seen/proven then go PM another mod, simple.

*I* was referring to a batch of posts I've seen lately of people whining about censorship from mods but specifically about their threads being moved or locked, mostly for being dupes... which is a stfu situation as far as I'm concerned so far all the thread move/lock activity I've seen has been 100% accurate

anyway if there's a real problem with a mod the proper solution is handling it via other mods in private. posting bitchy threads about it publicly doesn't accomplish anything.

Listen I'm probably the one that started this in the first place, everything was resolved in PMs which I even stated in a few threads when it was still being dragged out. Now I'll post it in this post as this is just dragging it out further because its been maybe a week or 2 since any of these posts appeared. My advice is to contact a mod if you have a problem because they will do their best to sort it out. ITS ALL BEEN RESOLVED WITH PMs WITH MODS, SO END OF STORY.

I am sorry for not following protocol and waiting. I guess I was a little hurt that my thread, that I had nursed as a baby, spent hours in the middle of the night feeding and uploading that 500mb file.. (gotta find a better way) so that is why I moved forward and did a bad thing. I am sorry and I blame it on the meds the VA gives me. I was a sysop of an excaliber bbs back in the day, mid '90's so I have a first hand view of how tough being a board mod might be. And having spent years at the Burning Man eplaya, where people can be very "snarky" the job of the mod is tough.. Hey, put some music to that... the job of the mod is tough. the job of the mod is tough. the job of the mod is tough. the job of the mod is tough... sooo I will try and not make the mods work, that has always been my motto. And to those hard working mods out there, when you see I have posted "wedeliver" ahh whatever.... :) (actually I am way to opinionated to be a mod, I would interject myself in way too much since sometimes I think I know everything, even those things I don't know, I can fake it.

Mori55 said:
+1 no sense beating a dead horse.

I never beat them... I bet on them... :shock:

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl