Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Painting your Phantom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wildernessmedic, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Wildernessmedic

One of the first things I want to do is paint my Phantom 2. What kind of paint is ok, and what should be avoided? I don't want to have some kind of terrible interaction with the plastic. I'm thinking all black or maybe countershading...

2. HeliRy

There are a few vids on YouTube regarding painting them. Flat black looks pretty mean :D

3. Pacman

Two coats of acrylic spray paint works well...

Attached Files:

4. Wildernessmedic

Nice. Love it. I watched a couple videos on Youtube. A little confused on the taping off. Most of them showed taping off a lot of areas. But the final pics looked like every little crack was painted. Did they tape, paint, remove the tape then paint the detail by hand?

5. Pacman

I just removed the top shell of the Phantom and taped over the ventilation holes from the inside before spraying the whole of the outside. I wasn't brave enough to attempt the bottom half of the shell, which would have involved a lot of fiddly taping and/or removing the motors and wiring, etc. I'm happy enough with the result.

6. EMCSQUAR

It's not difficult, just take you time and protect/mask off to prevent overspray on internals & motors.

Attached Files:

7. Wildernessmedic

Just say it was intentional counter shading haha

8. Wildernessmedic

Would painting the blades cause big problems with flight.

9. reALIGNed

You could, but use a paint that is flexible once it dries, and then manually balance the props so you don't get vibrations.

10. Wildernessmedic

Ok il probably just buy black carbon fiber props.

Here's a stupid question. On my landing skids I spray painted them. They look good except for one spot on each at the bottom where I guess the excess paint ran. It looks like a little line of darker glossy black. Can I sand this, repaint, paint over, or just live with it not being perfect?

11. reALIGNed

Depends on which paint you used. And if it already dried completely, repainting it may create a wrinkle finish as the new wet paint tries to dissolve the dried paint, before the final coat cures. I know Krylon makes a good paint that is flexable and is "repaintable", its called Fusion (by Krylon).

12. Wildernessmedic

I'm just going to live with it. The paint job is pretty crappy anyway. My taping skills aren't so good, and I couldn't get some areas to not show any white. Oh well, at least it's MOSTLY black and hopefully will fly soon...haha..

13. reALIGNed

keep in mind, if you loose it in the woods, trees, shaded areas, it will be harder to see. Its white for a reason.

14. ericdes

Also black is the color that attracts the sun the most (gets hotter), and white attracts the sun the least (stays cooler).

Black is awesome, however I saw some guys paint the shell on their AR Drone all black, only to see the plastic melt at 90 degree weather after leaving it outside for 10 minutes.

I may go with a yellow to easily see it. A white phantom on a cloudy day should be no fun.

15. bpatty

Just finished a paint job on my Phantom 2 after seeing a couple of F-16 photos based at a Texas Air Guard Base down near Houston. Liked the scheme so thought I would give it a try. Here is how it finished up. I take the gray props off for flight just in case there might be a balance problem with the light coat of paint on them.

Attached Files:

Roger S and Ti22 like this.
  16. bpatty

Here is the second F-16 and the copter doing an engine "run-up".

Attached Files:

17. thedjiguy

Attached Files:

18. ProfessorStein

"The best"? I don't think we can all agree with that at all. I haven't seen a hydrodip that I like yet. They're all pretty dang ugly, IMHO.

You get much more flexibility (and a better result) if you paint it.

19. thedjiguy

I beg to differ :) I'm sure we can find a design you like. Here are a few more options:

Attached Files:

20. ProfessorStein

Ummmm... nope. They look like someone splattered cheap paint on a Phantom.

Like I said... I doubt we can all agree. You like hydrodip, that's your opinion. I don't, that's my opinion.