P4P stills vs Mavic?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need to decide now between the Mavic and P4P. It's my first drone and I plan on using it recreationally and doing some property portfolio shoots for customers and friends.
Now I know the P4P camera will render better quality photos compare to the Mavic. But will it make such a big difference that anyone will notice and prefer images taken with the P4P.
Portability is a benefit no matter who you are. But you might take the Mavic along to places where you might not have planned to use it.
As with the Phantom, it is such a big box that you would nearly want to be certain that you will use it when packing it?
Would love to hear your thoughts, and perhaps any of you that have both?

I have both the Phantom 4 and the Mavic Pro. For a first 'quad', I would have to recommend the Mavic - you are going to get a lot more use out of it than a P4P. Mainly due to the portability, you also state that you plan to mainly use this 'recreationally' so the better camera is not really an issue. The Mavic is extremely easy to fly and control - I would say it is slightly easier than the P4 but then it doesn't give you ATTI mode - which, for a beginner, is probably a good thing.

The P4P has the extra sensors but I fail to see how these are of benefit - the side sensors only work in 'beginner' mode or Tripod mode - where you would be unlikely to bump into anything anyway. You do gain the 'reverse' sensors which, for a beginner, would be useful but this is not a major issue with most people - if you're going to hit something, it's probably whilst you are going forward.

I would therefore recommend the Mavic for you, I think you will get more enjoyment whilst you learn how to control these drones and will certainly be able to take it with you more - I went for a 12 mile hike last weekend and took the Mavic; I would not have been able to take the P4 with me over that distance without being totally knackered by the end of the hike!

these are two different products. the p4p beats the mavic in image quality out of the water. so it all comes down to whether you want a high quality camera or portability

As with the Phantom, it is such a big box that you would nearly want to be certain that you will use it when packing it?
It depends on the type of case you buy. Here's a comparison between my P4P and Mavic cases:

P4-Case-Vs-Mavic-Case.jpg

My Mavic case is a little bit over half the size of my P4P case. So, it's not really that much of a savings size-wise if you think the P4P is a better tool for the job.

The smaller size of the Mavic does come with some negatives. For example, the remote controller battery lasts about 1/4 the time of the P4P's remote controller battery and it's super short landing gear make it impossible/impractical to launch from or land on some surfaces.

Reactions: ricphoto

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl