Votes: 13 54.2%
  • That's why i'm waiting for the P5...

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • DJI could've put a little more time into it

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

TDP

Reaction score
I just received my P4P+ from DJI yesterday morning after patiently waiting for a long time. Right from the setup and first start up, I noticed a loud noise coming from the drone and than when I picked it up the gimbal made a loud grinding noise that I've never heard on a phantom. I knew definitely something was off so I still did a test flight during the day and another at night just to make sure everything worked. the p4p+ was super warm when it came down just off one battery.

I wanted to start a problems list for everyone looking for help. Hopefully, we can help each other out if we got the answers. Number your issues/problems with your P4P / P4P+ in a reply...

1. Engine overheating (really warm) after flight
2. Gimbal makes loud noise when on and tilted left or right (non-flight)
3. Engine/Motors make loud noise when idle (running hard/hot)
4. Gimbal/Camera jumping up and down in the sky while flying sideways
5. Only half of the smart fly modes worked while testing (OS-App Flaw)

**BTW my P4 out of the box had literally 0 problems and I never had really any issues with anything on it since launch...

Last edited:
Reactions: Boonman
Why would you sell a working unit for your business only to buy a newer untested model? .

I needed the money to buy the P4P+... also it said 1-2 weeks shipping when i bought it than that turned into over a month. Now i have to wait another unexpected 3-4 weeks or more... This is my last "new" product i'll ever buy from DJI again. You don't expect to be a beta tester with a $2000 product. I thought they would've had a lot more figured out before they released it because it wasn't a major upgrade in design from the P4. Because my P4 out of the box had literally 0 problems and I never had really any issues with anything on it since launch...

Last edited:
The P4P wasn't 'rushed' any more than the Mavic or P4 was rushed, or the P5 will be rushed. DJI's marketing strategy is to bring products to market as quickly as possible, glitches and all, and I wouldn't expect that to change. The good news is that you get the product sooner and the bad news is that you'll probably need a firmware update or two before it's sorted out. Kinda just the way it is with them. And I never cease to be amazed how people think the next model iteration will solve all problems while creating no new ones of their own.

The P4P wasn't 'rushed' any more than the Mavic or P4 was rushed, or the P5 will be rushed. DJI's marketing strategy is to bring products to market as quickly as possible, glitches and all, and I wouldn't expect that to change.

I agree with that completely. I get it that the OP needed the money from selling the P4 to fund the P4P purchase, but that being the case, it might have been more prudent to wait a while longer for DJI to get on top of their pretty well-known new-model process of bug fixes and multiple firmware updates. It's the way that they do business...the consumer is a major component of their quality-assurance program. This is well known...as is their cumbersome, confusing, and arbitrary customer service.

The sad truth is that if you want a really sorted DJI product you have to wait until about six months after introduction... right before the new model comes out ;) .And if you buy the new model, instead of getting fixes the debug process just starts all over.

The P4P wasn't 'rushed' any more than the Mavic or P4 was rushed, or the P5 will be rushed. DJI's marketing strategy is to bring products to market as quickly as possible, glitches and all, and I wouldn't expect that to change. The good news is that you get the product sooner and the bad news is that you'll probably need a firmware update or two before it's sorted out. Kinda just the way it is with them. And I never cease to be amazed how people think the next model iteration will solve all problems while creating no new ones of their own.

When it comes to major hardware problems, yes that means a company rushed it... Software and OS are a completely different story and that's not the case with mine. We DON'T need a new drone from DJI every 4-6 months, just a solid working and malfunctioning one every year would be fine with some minor bugs.

**BTW my P4 out of the box had literally 0 problems and I never had really any issues with anything on it since launch...

I agree with that completely. I get it that the OP needed the money from selling the P4 to fund the P4P purchase, but that being the case, it might have been more prudent to wait a while longer for DJI to get on top of their pretty well-known new-model process of bug fixes and multiple firmware updates. It's the way that they do business...the consumer is a major component of their quality-assurance program. This is well known...as is their cumbersome, confusing, and arbitrary customer service.

that wasn't gonna work. I sell all my electronics before the price goes down and the P4 price was about to go down soon (which it did, 6 days after I sold it) . Things devalue to much in money if you dont get rid of them quick. That's the only reason I got this new one because I got top dollar for my P4

The sad truth is that if you want a really sorted DJI product you have to wait until about six months after introduction... right before the new model comes out ;) .And if you buy the new model, instead of getting fixes the debug process just starts all over.

my thoughts exactly... :(

DJI has a long standing reputation of shipping product and then fixing up minor issues that arise with it after release. Some of those issues may never get fully resolved. You would know this simply by reading this forum. Such is the nature of the beast. Buying a P4P this quickly would imply either you didn't know this or were willing to take the gamble.

DJI still out innovates all the others so the alternatives are usually lesser products. For now.

I feel your pain burden I run a business and it seams very strange to leave your self open like this . In fact with the complaints you have against DJI if I was a customer of yours I'd be listing at lot more complaints . And one would hope you won't leave your self like this again . Have you a back up drone in future in case this one crashes or gets stolen or damaged in a car crash etc etc .
This seams like a let's bash DJI post .
Anyway I wish you all the best and hope it resolves it's self in the near future .
I'm sure DJI didn't intend to send you a duff one

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

When it comes to major hardware problems, yes that means a company rushed it...
I'm not sure the issue is necessarily hardware problems since many, I would dare say most, P4P users are not having any significant problems. But there does appear to be an issue with QC in that the out-of-the-box defect rate appears to be high (maybe just a few percent, but that still is high these days.) I guess that could be indicative of being rushed, but again, I wouldn't expect the next model introduction to be all that much different. In the end think you should pretty much buy what you want when you want it rather than speculating on what future models might bring, there's really no end to that and it's kinda like stock timing ;)

So you got top dollar for your p4 but lose months of work . I mean come on what difference was there between price you got and price after drop could be no more than 400 . And in business it's depreciation and is written of against tax . I mean to leave your self without your business tool .
I would totally agree with you if it was your hobby

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I run an on the side business, and have been thinking of getting a couple of p4p to add to the fleet. Even with this being a side business I would never sell a tool without have a replacement. With the track record of DJI software developement policy of letting users find the bugs, I would not pay to become a Beta tester. I will wait until they get the cameras 1 a second burst problem on the video squared away, maybe on the P5 they will fix it. I doubt that they can on the p4 or p4p.

My p4p out of the box with none of the issues you have. So you got a bad one and think that means all p4ps were bad?

Same here as someone who has (currently) no problems with their new P4P. Flew in 20 deg weather yesterday and today. Camera and RC signal were perfect 3000+ feet out. Steady in stiff winds, CA worked flawlessly. Haven't tried the other modes yet but it's just been too cold to stay out for any length of time. I have almost 500 total Phantom flghts and am also Law Enforcement drone pilot. We use an Inspire1 for search and rescue. So, I'm extremely happy so far.

Overall I think they make a great product, but I completely get it. When I bought my P3P, one of the buttons pressed all the way into the RC before I even got to fly it. DJI said, send it in for repair and will get it back to you in a few weeks. Unacceptable IMO. Buy new and expect it to need to repaired out of the box. No no no! I sent it back for a refund and purchased a replacement same day. Yep, it tie up some funds until the refund, but I wasn't about to pay for an item that needed immediate repair.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Jason Porembski

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl