p4p in Lightroom - AEB files all show same exposure

That I would agree with, however I'm afraid the extended time it would take to manually set 5 exposures would result in way too much movement both in drone as well as the scene to be able to produce good results constantly.

Roll the thumbwheel? I don't see the big issue. Won't take more than 3 seconds.

Why is full manual NOT the right way? Now I'm even more confused
Because full manual in AEB mode right now on P4P does not work as you would expect it to. It does not seem to be adjusting the shutter but rather ISO, so just cost it pretends to be manual (in name only), it doesnt actually make it manual in practice :) Makes sense?

Why is full manual NOT the right way? Now I'm even more confused
Why go to all that effort when the Phantom will do it for you properly and in less than a second?

I shoot AEB a lot of the time with fast moving subjects.
I couldn't do that by manually changing exposure settings.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Roll the thumbwheel? I don't see the big issue. Won't take more than 3 seconds.
3 sec per image perhaps? That's 15 seconds for a set of 5. Keep in mind it has to write those DNG files one by one and you can't take the next shot until it's done (while it buffers them when shooting AEB and then writes them all together after all 5 are taken).

AEB takes 5 shots in under a second (probably even much faster), assuming daylight and fast shutter.

Because full manual in AEB mode right now on P4P does not work as you would expect it to. It does not seem to be adjusting the shutter but rather ISO, so just cost it pretends to be manual (in name only), it doesnt actually make it manual in practice :) Makes sense?
No ... AEB works properly.
Where did this idea that it doesn't come from?

This whole debate seems to be based on the false notion that there's a problem with the way AEB works.
I know a couple of people have suggested this but I can't see any evidence at all to support the idea.
Before you waste any more mental effort on it, I'd suggest looking for some evidence to show there is a problem.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Well, I actually went through and did a complete, controlled test, and boy was I surprised..

I have latest firmware, apps etc. All shots baselined at f5.6 with ev0 iso 100 and iso 400 (to leave wiggleroom for all thinkable aeb adjustments and get comparable noise.). Controlled lighting.

My findings are (and I have repeated these, but please someone else do this as well).

Exposure metadata are recorded the same during aeb both for raw and jpeg. Same exposure-settings (aperture/shutter/iso) but with a added Exposure Bias for each shot. These are consistent and correct.

A-mode ISO 100: aeb almost works, that is 4 out of the 5 shots have the correct exposure with consistent noise. The exception is + 2/3 and + 1 1/3 which are the same. We end up with four out of 5 different exposures. (this is not a problem for aeb with 3 shots)

A-mode ISO 400: aeb works, that is 5 out of the 5 shots have the correct exposure with consistent noise.

M-mode ISO 100: exposure values are different on all shots, but the noise varies horribly. Not sure what is going on here. Further, both +2/3 and +1 1/3 exposure are darker than reference?

M-mode ISO 400: exposure values are different on all shots, but again the noise varies horribly. The same exposure for ISO 100 might actually be worse than 400 (??)

I have added a comparison for same exposure values (subjectively) for manual and aperture at iso 100

For shutter priority, all shots come out the same (so not working at all).

Conclusion: AE 3 shots seems to work for A mode. 5 shots works in some cases. M mode wildly inconsistent and unusable. S mode unusable

AETEST.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I actually went through and did a complete, controlled test, and boy was I surprised..

My findings are (and I have repeated these, but please someone else do this as well).

I have latest firmware, apps etc.

Exposure metadata are recorded the same during aeb both for raw and jpeg. Same exposure-settings (aperture/shutter/iso) but with a added Exposure Bias for each shot. These are consistent and correct.

A-mode ISO 100: aeb almost works, that is 4 out of the 5 shots have the correct exposure with consistent noise. The exception is + 2/3 and + 1 1/3 which are the same. We end up with four out of 5 different exposures. (this is not a problem for aeb with 3 shots)

A-mode ISO 400: aeb works, that is 5 out of the 5 shots have the correct exposure with consistent noise.

M-mode ISO 100: exposure values are different on all shots, but the noise varies horribly. Not sure what is going on here. Further, both +2/3 and +1 1/3 exposure are darker than reference?

M-mode ISO 400: exposure values are different on all shots, but again the noise varies horribly. The same exposure for ISO 100 might actually be worse than 400 (??)

I have added a comparison for same exposure values (subjectively) for manual and aperture at iso 100

Conclusion: AE 3 shots seems to work for A mode. 5 shots works in some cases. M mode wildly inconsistent and unusable. S mode unusable

View attachment 72177
This is fantastic information Tomas. thanks for sharing

Reactions: Tomas Wangen

I have latest firmware, apps etc.

View attachment 72177

Ok - so this is interesting, Your findings are what I've been basing my commentary on. I shot my test shots in M mode but using AEB and got horrible noise as you found. I stupidly assumed that shooting in Manual would be the best option. I think (still) in manual it's using electronic gain to change the EV.

As for your finding with the shots in ISO 100 with the +2/3 and + 1 1/3 being the same - it's possible thats because at the settings the camera was on there was no more headroom for exposure, so it just took 2 the same after trying to get the +1 1/3

Thank you for these tests though!

I don't believe AEB is working properly - others here agree. Regardless of EXIF.

It should NOT be used in aperture priority mode. OR shutter priority mode.

That hasn't been my experience, depending on the definition of "working properly". Shot yesterday in AE mode and, while LR did not have the RAW meta data for the different exposure settings, the light curves were definitely different. So I did get three different exposures in AEB. Just saying....

I have latest firmware, apps etc. All shots baselined at f5.6 with ev0 iso 100 and iso 400 (to leave wiggleroom for all thinkable aeb adjustments and get comparable noise.). Controlled lighting.

Thanks very much for posting your results. I will have to try to repeat and then hope that DJI can get this corrected.

Has there been any update on this with more recent firmware?
Seen a report this (correct exif data) was fixed with latest firmware update. I will check some captures i took today tomorrow. I use aeb a mode 3 stop so the other issues I will not have any results.

Last edited:
I just did some 5 bracket tests in both dng and jpg (not dng +jpg) and things looked pretty normal to me. It appears the bracketing shot order is different between jpg and dng for some reason, but the shutter speed is changing and the resulting exposure looks as I would expect based on the respective shutter speed.

I tried in all modes (auto, a, s, m) at iso 100.

Shutter priority does not seem to be respected in that it always brackets based on shutter speed. I've had other cameras that would use aperture or maybe iso to bracket when in S mode, but that should not be a problem. In most cases I'm not too concerned with my shutter speed as long as it's fast enough.

I did not fully follow this thread so I'm not sure if there were any other issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing