p4p in Lightroom - AEB files all show same exposure

Reaction score
in LR i noticed my raw files shot using AEB all show 1/120 of a second but clearly the exposure varies on the 5 shots. Is this a issue of LR not having the camera profile for the P4P camera? when to expect the camera profile in LR? thanks.

in LR i noticed my raw files shot using AEB all show 1/120 of a second but clearly the exposure varies on the 5 shots. Is this a issue of LR not having the camera profile for the P4P camera? when to expect the camera profile in LR? thanks.
This is clearly a bug / oversight (from dji). Seems only the base exposure is recorded for all shots even if they are in deed different.

(same happened on aeb shots I did today)

I don't have a P4P but was wondering with the new mechanical shutter if they are using the aperture to achieve the different exposure values rather than the shutter speed?
All parameters including Aperture are recorded the same across all captures

if so, how is the exposure different? according to LR all parameters are the same. thank you

Shoot an AEB bracket in jpg and the exif data shows the correct info.
Are you shooting raw?

Shoot an AEB bracket in jpg and the exif data shows the correct info.
Are you shooting raw?

Why does the phantom see the AEB shots as any different to a single shot? Assuming the exif is correct on a single shot isn't AEB just 3 or 5 shots - So what's different that isn't writing the meta properly?

Why does the phantom see the AEB shots as any different to a single shot? Assuming the exif is correct on a single shot isn't AEB just 3 or 5 shots - So what's different that isn't writing the meta properly?
Second that...and does anyone know why Lightroom or Camera Raw doesnt have the camera profile? thank you.

Shoot jpg and the exif data is correct for AEB shots.
There's some glitch that's affecting the exif data for raw files.
Second that...and does anyone know why Lightroom or Camera Raw doesnt have the camera profile? thank you.
Because the camera is brand new.
See what Adobe does in the next update to Adobe Camera Raw.

Shoot jpg and the exif data is correct for AEB shots.
There's some glitch that's affecting the exif data for raw files.

Because the camera is brand new.
See what Adobe does in the next update to Adobe Camera Raw.

I didn't think the exif was related to the ACR part. Thought the profile was only for lens corrections and base raw settings. However it's a DNG file which is semi standardised anyway and the EXIF should show.

If it's correct in the jpeg then it's correct when shot. The Phantom will render the jpeg from the DNG file in the body of the quad so what is going on that the raw file - that's used anyway- isn't right.

My exif in raw appears to be different across shots but not in AEB mode. Why? Don't know. Surely it's just 3 shots that should show a change and the bracketing is controlled from the Go app

I suspicious that AEB is adjusting an electronic EV scale and NOT shutter speed leaving aperture and ISO alone.

Of course if you are using auto modes it may not work because the auto mode will try to set the perfect exposure each time so the AEB might be fighting it.

My exif in raw appears to be different across shots but not in AEB mode. Why? Don't know. Surely it's just 3 shots that should show a change and the bracketing is controlled from the Go app
I suspicious that AEB is adjusting an electronic EV scale and NOT shutter speed leaving aperture and ISO alone.
It's a glitch that is mis-writing Exif dat for raw AEB files.
The files themselves are fine - just a problem in what is written to the Exif data.
Experiment in jpg to see how your camera handles AEB
Here's a bracket of 3 I shot a week ago with the exif data
I was using aperture priority autojpg.
There's no problem there.
i-t3Pcxgz.jpg

Of course if you are using auto modes it may not work because the auto mode will try to set the perfect exposure each time so the AEB might be fighting it.
It has nothing to do with using auto at all.

The files themselves are fine - just a problem in what is written to the Exif data.
i-t3Pcxgz.jpg

Bit using aperture priority the camera will shoot each shot shot with a different aperture to chance the exposure. No? What else does it do?

Full manual is the only way to do bracketing because there needs to have constants- especially if you're thinking of HDR or merging layers.

As for the exif- why does the exif get treated differently to a bracketed shot than a regular one. It's still taking the photo.

I still think the exposure value is what the drone is changing NOT shutter speed.

i-t3Pcxgz.jpg

How can the time be the same on each one? The camera is surely not that fast. 3 shots in less than a second?

But using aperture priority the camera will shoot each shot shot with a different aperture to chance the exposure. No? What else does it do?
Full manual is the only way to do bracketing because there needs to have constants- especially if you're thinking of HDR or merging layers.
No ... aperture priority means priority is given to aperture.
The photographer sets the aperture and the camera adjusts other parameters - as you can see in the exif data.
QUOTE="inkytog, post: 1036746, member: 80653"]
As for the exif- why does the exif get treated differently to a bracketed shot than a regular one. It's still taking the photo.
I still think the exposure value is what the drone is changing NOT shutter speed.[/QUOTE]
As you can see in my exif data the shutter speed is what changed.
Your AEB raw photos look right, probably because they are right.
The issue with the exif data is just due to a glitch in writing the exif data - nothing else.
DJI will probably fix this in a future firmware update.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
How can the time be the same on each one? The camera is surely not that fast. 3 shots in less than a second?
If the photos weren't taken in the same second (the camera can shoot a burst of 14 frames in a second), it could be that they just record the clock time for the first shot of the bracket.

No ... aperture priority means priority is given to aperture.
The photographer sets the aperture and the camera adjusts other parameters - as you can see in the exif data.

Thank you - no offence but I've been a professional photographer for about 15 years so I totally know what the shooting modes mean. However you are sort of correct about the AEB but also a little wrong. I'm looking at this as if I would merge each bracketed shot after for an HDR or some masking in Photoshop.

With AV or A mode as it is on the Phantom, the camera will indeed adjust the settings according to the aperture you select - BUT if you're looking at this with AEB mode then it doesn't quite work like that. The camera will attempt to get a 'proper' (0) Exposure when you set it to AV mode. Then the camera will put in a -EV and and +EV. but each time it does this the camera will be actually exposing 'correctly' so won't be actually adding in the + or - properly. The only way to do this would be Manual.

In manual you would set the camera to the sweet spot f-stop. Not sure what this is yet because I've not worked it out. But say it's f8. So I set f8 and an ISO of 100. I then set the shutter speed accordingly . the - and + exposures are taken with the shutter speed at equal increments up and down. I don't know why on your EXIF data the exposure is set at 0.7 it's an odd integer. However if you are in full manual mode, the ONLY parameter you'd change would be shutter speed.

The issue is there is am issue with long exposures and those are prone to movements etc. Even more so in a drone, so if the exposures are coming in with a shutter speed of like 8 seconds you'll need to adjust the ISO to compensate, so if you're on 8 seconds at ISO 100 then ISO 200 will give you a 4 second exposure, and ISO 400 a 2 second exposure which is more realistic on the quad.

Shooting at ISO100 won't always mean a 'clean' shot, especially during a long exposure. More sensor noise WILL appear with long exposures as the sensor heats up, so even though there is more base noise at ISO400 long term it might be better.

I digress...

On my 'proper' camera - in this case the 1DXii I set 5 or 7 brackets for a bracketed shot. I then let the camera add or subtract from the base settings with the exposure set as the meter suggests on the camera as a 'base' exposure. THEN you let the camera over and under expose the series of shots.

You can't shoot proper bracketed shots in AV mode for this reason. The camera will ALWYAS be trying to give you a correct exposure and even though it's over and under exposing it will confuse the concept. It is like this on every camera - you can't automate this process and get satisfactory results.

So, to conclude, if you're wanting the 3 or 5 shots on AEB as a 'failsafe' to get the right exposure in certain situations then sure, use auto AEB but I don't think the process on the p4pis reliable, repeatable and I am still convinced it's not doing it properly. Other users here have agreed with me that there is something not quite right about it (apart from RAW EXIF being wrong).

The only way to have the control and do it properly is to use full manual. then you knock the exposure using the shutter speed down as many stops as you like, and up as many stops as you like. This is the only way to guarantee the metering is proportional across each frame.

Reactions: steven.j
If the photos weren't taken in the same second (the camera can shoot a burst of 14 frames in a second), it could be that they just record the clock time for the first shot of the bracket.
On the shutter speeds of the EXIF - would have taken at least a second if those shutter speeds are correct.

This is really simple. Currently, there is bug when writing the Exif data to raw files during AEB. Exif from base exposure is recorded to all shots. In reality, there is a 0.7 stop difference (adjusted correctly with shutter speed only) between the shots. For jpeg this is recorded correctly (in exif).

Let's leave it at that. (dji, if you are reading this, please fix the exif error).

This is really simple. Currently, there is bug when writing the Exif data to raw files during AEB. Exif from base exposure is recorded to all shots. In reality, there is a 0.7 stop difference (adjusted correctly with shutter speed only) between the shots. For jpeg this is recorded correctly (in exif).

Let's leave it at that. (dji, if you are reading this, please fix the exif error).
I don't believe AEB is working properly - others here agree. Regardless of EXIF.

It should NOT be used in aperture priority mode. OR shutter priority mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav