P4P hover look normal?

Thank you for showing me that. Does that rod and cone assembly come with the device?

Bud

Yes - it does. And it works fine with the bayonet-style P4 hubs, but not with the threaded hubs of earlier versions. For those I ended up getting some appropriately sized rods cut with CW and CCW threads.

Reactions: Matchlock
Thank you, and do you find it necessary to balance Phantom 4 props or are they generally alright straight out of the box?

Bud

Yes - it does. And it works fine with the bayonet-style P4 hubs, but not with the threaded hubs of earlier versions. For those I ended up getting some appropriately sized rods cut with CW and CCW threads.

Okay, my balancer arrived, and after assembling it and trying my twelve brand-new DJI props, here is my conclusion: About 25% seemed nearly perfectly balanced, about 25% were detectably out of balance, and about 50% were slightly out of balance. None of them were so far out that I would have any concern whatsoever flying with them, but being a bit of a perfectionist, I corrected them all.

I used some stuff called Bondic to add a little weight to the top-side end of the lighter blade. My thinking is that since it is actually the underside of the blade that "strikes" the air, and there is a relative "vacuum" on the topside, any disturbance of airflow would have slightly less effect. I may be mistaken about this, so I welcome input from anyone more knowledgeable who can guide me in this thinking.

Bottom line... the new, stock props should be fine, and I don't know that all this fussing will make any material difference.

~ Russ

Okay, my balancer arrived, and after assembling it and trying my twelve brand-new DJI props, here is my conclusion: About 25% seemed nearly perfectly balanced, about 25% were detectably out of balance, and about 50% were slightly out of balance. None of them were so far out that I would have any concern whatsoever flying with them, but being a bit of a perfectionist, I corrected them all.

I used some stuff called Bondic to add a little weight to the top-side end of the lighter blade. My thinking is that since it is actually the underside of the blade that "strikes" the air, and there is a relative "vacuum" on the topside, any disturbance of airflow would have slightly less effect. I may be mistaken about this, so I welcome input from anyone more knowledgeable who can guide me in this thinking.

Bottom line... the new, stock props should be fine, and I don't know that all this fussing will make any material difference.

~ Russ

You need to be a little careful disturbing the airflow over the blades. The lift is generated by reduced pressure over the blades resulting from higher flow velocity. That does rely on a smooth surface that does not interfere with laminar flow.

Thanks for the input. So, I put a little Bondic on the top of the lighter blade, near the tip, and try to smooth it so it is more of a smooth lump rather than a noticeable bump. Do you see any problem with that?

Thanks for the input. So, I put a little Bondic on the top of the lighter blade, near the tip, and try to smooth it so it is more of a smooth lump rather than a noticeable bump. Do you see any problem with that?

If it's near the tip it should be fine.

~ Russ

The usual manner of balancing is to sand away mass from the heavier blade.

The top of an airfoil is more critical than the bottom. Laminar flow being as smooth as possible over the top of the airfoil is critical.

It's not a vacuum: it's an area of accelerated airflow and thus a lower static pressure against the top of the blade v. an increased static pressure under the blade (where the airflow is slightly reduced in speed). (ref: Bernoulli).

upload_2017-7-9_11-58-40.png

So adding mass on top is not a "good thing". If you must add mass, my opinion would be more mass near the hub rather than any change near the tip where the centripetal load is the highest.

Finally, if your P4P is not hovering rock still it is likely due to air currents, breeze, poor GPS conditions, etc. Slightly out of balance props increase vibration and make the attitude control system work a little harder but shouldn't result in much movement.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart