P4P camera quality compared to E90?

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and am hoping for some advice or direction.

I'm looking to buy a drone to use commercially for mainly stills photography, but also some video.

Originally I was going to dip my toe in the water with a Mavic but I think I'd be happier with the image quality of the P4P.

However, there is also the option of going with the Typhoon H520 and the E90 camera.

The specs for both look about the same but I can't find any side by side comparisons for the drones/cameras.

Has anyone here compared both, or seen any reviews for both?

Thanks

However, there is also the option of going with the Typhoon H520 and the E90 camera.
The specs for both look about the same but I can't find any side by side comparisons for the drones/cameras.
If you haven't flown drones much, it can be confusing to compare them on paper.
The Yuneec uses old tech wifi for control awhile the P4 pro uses Lightbridge.
When Lightbridge came out on the P3 pro in April 2015, it made wifi drones obsolete.
it would be a valuable exercise if you could have demo flights on both birds.

The P4 pro has now been out for a year and has been outstanding from the start.
I use mine every week and they never let me down. They do things that aren't possible with the Yuneec.
Looking at our Yuneec sister forum, you can get an idea of what they are dealing with:
H520 my views so Far. Even though I still love it.

The Yuneec uses old tech wifi for control awhile the P4 pro uses Lightbridge.
When Lightbridge came out on the P3 pro in April 2015, it made wifi drones obsolete.
it would be a valuable exercise if you could have demo flights on both birds.

The P4 pro has now been out for a year and has been outstanding from the start.
I use mine every week and they never let me down. They do things that aren't possible with the Yuneec.
Looking at our Yuneec sister forum, you can get an idea of what they are dealing with:

Thanks for your views

The E90 will likely be a far superior camera because it won't have DJI's misleading image manipulation profile stunting it because of an inadequate lens. However, the E90 itself costs just about as much as the entire P4P before even attaching it to the $2000 H520. So that's going to be your biggest consideration. Is the image quality gain really worth over double the price. It's probably not, so you'll want to consider the million other differences and factors that should play into that purchase decision.

Good call on skipping the Mavic. It flies amazing, but the camera is trash.

Reactions: John Locke
The E90 will likely be a far superior camera because it won't have DJI's misleading image manipulation profile stunting it because of an inadequate lens.
I search all over for reviews on the E90 compared to P4P and couldn't find any anywhere - so can I ask where you got this from?

The E90 will likely be a far superior camera because it won't have DJI's misleading image manipulation profile stunting it because of an inadequate lens.
Far superior?
The E90 has a fixed aperture at f:2.8 and it has rolling shutter.
The P4 pro has a controllable aperture and mechanical shutter.
For all the noise (from a few people) about "DJI's misleading image manipulation profile", it doesn't seem to prevent the P4 pro from creating great images.

as a side issue -does anyone know if I can save images as raw and JPG at the same time while mapping with P4P?
If you are flying with Dronedeploy for a mapping mission, DD will shoot jpg only.
There are problems with recording the larger raw files fast enough to get all the images while flying the mission.
Jpg files are quite adequate for creating high detail orthophotos.

I search all over for reviews on the E90 compared to P4P and couldn't find any anywhere - so can I ask where you got this from?

Simple technical specs. The P4P lens doesn't even provide full coverage of the sensor. Your "20MP" image is really an upscaled 13MP image and all the associated IQ loss. Yuneec has specifically stated the E90 lens will provide a full, real 20MP. Other than that they use basically the same sensor, so no differences in IQ there. As any photographer knows, a better lens beats a better camera.

Reactions: Brojon
I was hoping for Map Pilot (as don't like drone deploy) - wanted the ability to mass change and colour rectify images before processing them
I don't know Map Pilot so can't say but it would probably have the same issues with raw files.
And if you are going to take a couple of hundred images with big overlaps and put them into the blender to create an orthophoto, you are probably fooling yourself trying to use raw files.
The file size would be huge.
Can you mass change and colour rectify jpg images to suit?

Wow, I had no idea the H520 was so antiquated. I bought my Yuneec Q500 over two years ago. It was a good trainer, but only did 17mph. It certainly didn't land at 27% battery. I can't believe Yuneec would hinder safe piloting that much, taking control away from the pilot. Ever since P3P's release in April 2015 I haven't been one bit interested in a Yuneec product. DJI has issues too, but nothing as serious as those listed for the H520 by RGilmore. P4P's are the best by far, no contest IMO.

P4P = 4+ mile range
H520 = Less than a mile range.

Last edited:
Reactions: keyguitar99
Simple technical specs. The P4P lens doesn't even provide full coverage of the sensor. Your "20MP" image is really an upscaled 13MP image and all the associated IQ loss. Yuneec has specifically stated the E90 lens will provide a full, real 20MP. Other than that they use basically the same sensor, so no differences in IQ there. As any photographer knows, a better lens beats a better camera.
I thought the Phantom 4 Pro was a 20mp CMOS 1" sensor based on the Sony RX100 - which from my experience of the Sony would make it an excellent camera - and I still stand by my previous comments that nowhere can I find any comparison between the E90 and P4P - which would lend to its own thoughts!

I thought the Phantom 4 Pro was a 20mp CMOS 1" sensor based on the Sony RX100 - which from my experience of the Sony would make it an excellent camera - and I still stand by my previous comments that nowhere can I find any comparison between the E90 and P4P - which would lend to its own thoughts!
Here's an overview of the E90. Looks like the same sensor.

upload_2017-11-29_17-5-16.png

It is. And it's mated to a lens whose image circle doesn't even fully cover the sensor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka