P4 vs P3 still photo comaparison

Keep in mind that the average person looking at your images isn't a pixel counter. They're not going to notice all the little things that a photographer may see. People just look at an image and decide if the like it or not. They don't look for noise or barrel distortion or care what settings and equipment you used.
When I submit an image to a stock website for review I think of those things. I can't even count the number of images rejected for nonsense reasons. Oddly, images taken with my P3P camera get rejected far less than ones taken with "better " cameras.
That would be mostly accurate. Anyone trying to compare images from a 36x24mm full frame camera - even an AFS-C camera - that is created by a pro - or amateur photographer with even modest skills - to a DJI Inspire, P3P or P4P is not comparing apples to apples as it were.

My Nikon D800 shoots RAW images that are as much as 48 Meg, as opposed to 17 Meg DNG/4.75 JPG out of my P3P. There's simply no comparison.

I'd love that to improve in the future but for now - I think only comparing UAV mounted cameras against UAV mounted cameras is reasonable.

Pixel peeping criticisms are unreasonable in this case.

That would be mostly accurate. Anyone trying to compare images from a 36x24mm full frame camera - even an AFS-C camera - that is created by a pro - or amateur photographer with even modest skills - to a DJI Inspire, P3P or P4P is not comparing apples to apples as it were.

My Nikon D800 shoots RAW images that are as much as 48 Meg, as opposed to 17 Meg DNG/4.75 JPG out of my P3P. There's simply no comparison.

I'd love that to improve in the future but for now - I think only comparing UAV mounted cameras against UAV mounted cameras is reasonable.

Pixel peeping criticisms are unreasonable in this case.

You are correct that you can't compare a full frame or APS-C sensor camera to the one on the phantom. That wasn't the point of what I was thinking though.
In terms of comparison between the P3 & P4 I think that any difference in quality between the two is only relevant to pixel peepers. Most people aren't going to notice any difference.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458769940.215631.jpg

Here is a picture from P3P i took last month on my first flight.

No post processing or anything else.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious what colour setting did you film at? Log , none etc? Nice video by the way. Actually whilst I am asking what was the background music? Thanks :)

Thanks!

Defaults and vivid since I did not feel like grading that day :eek:

Reactions: Frankc
FlyHighUSA(Ralph) gets them tomorrow, so it will be after the weekend when I get mine. This has been the longest wait ever lol.

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 11.32.05 PM.png

I don't use ND's for still images,

Camera was manual exposure, ISO-100 / shutter - 1250 / D-Log / This was a 3 shot merge processed in LR 6.
Thanks, I've done this recently

26b847bc0c09964978331b862ae73957.jpg

Full quality is a lot better (the jpg is 11MB+) here is too compressed

Last edited:
Reactions: maseman88
I've bought a good price set of filters arrived today, that I've not yet tested. This include CPL, UV, ND16 and variable nd2-nd400 filter...
Which of these would be usefull for stills? The UV only?

c9b04d2dc378b9671c0c67bda7c6a263.jpg

Beautiful maseman, P3 or P4?

P4. All manual exposure. Touched up in light room app via iphone 6s plus. My buddy has been doing some amazing shots lately... check this one out.

He has a P3P
yeA19sN.jpg

Reactions: StevenQX
Nice shots, guys! Keep them coming.

For still photography, the UV and or CP filters are appropriate. ND's are used to restrict the amount of light reaching the sensor. They are used for video in order to be able to bring the shutter speed down to somewhere around 2x the frame rate.

With still images, especially shot from a multirotor, a fast shutter speed helps to capture a crisp image. So, generally, you want as much light as possible. On tripods, ND filters are used with still photography in order to shoot a properly exposed picture with a slow shutter speed in order to create motion blur, like waterfalls for example. Gradient ND's can be used as well to help equalize high contrast areas like super bright sky with darker foreground. Using them in the air would be tricky. Easier to use bracketed images and HDR merging, or exposure masks in post processing.

Reactions: StevenQX
Nice shots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl