P4 Top Speed Has Decreased

JMG

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a new quad owner, so I still have a lot to learn. I bought a P4 a couple weeks ago. For the first 1 1/2 weeks it consistently topped out around 22 or 23 mph in the standard mode. However, my last few flights averaged around 16 mph top speed. The strange thing is that when I use the RTH button, it gets up to 22 or 23 again.

Does anyone have any idea as to what would cause this? Are there any settings that I could have changed that would have done this?

Thanks!

Was it windy? Were you flying into the wind while flying away from the home point and with the wind on the way back?

Was it windy? Were you flying into the wind while flying away from the home point and with the wind on the way back?
It was windy the first day I noticed it, but even with a tail wind coming back it was flying slowly.
Might need to calibrate the controller, might not be getting 100% from the forward stick.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I'll try this out. Thanks for the suggestion.

It was windy the first day I noticed it, but even with a tail wind coming back it was flying slowly.

I'll try this out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Okay, I calibrated the remote controller, but nothing changed. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
This happens for me based on wind conditions. The more wind the lower the top speed. Even cross winds will slow you down since the drone has to use some power to fight against side sliding.

I restored the factory settings and the speed is up to 19-20 mph. It's still not the 22-23 that I was getting, but better than 16. This still has me baffled.

I restored the factory settings and the speed is up to 19-20 mph. It's still not the 22-23 that I was getting, but better than 16. This still has me baffled.

Is the switch set to sport mode? Is the multiple flight modes turned on? The bird needs to be connected and turned on when making these adjustments.

Reactions: AF1JA
No, it's not in sports mode. It flies anywhere between 44 and 52 in sports mode depending on the winds. The multiple flights mode setting is turned on as well.

Last edited:
The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head would be the exp throttle setting was raised up to compensate for it running slow from the factory. This can be set from .1 to .9 and default is .5 now that I think about it, that is an app setting so it wouldn't be a correct answer.

Last edited:
Last night I reset my P4 to the factory settings and also calibrated it using the DJI Assistant software from my computer monitor. I took it out today and I'm back to 23 mph!

I'm not sure what caused the initial change, but it's back up to speed. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last night I reset my P4 to the factory settings and also calibrated it using the DJI Assistant software from my computer monitor. I took it out today and I'm back to 23 mph!

I'm not sure what caused the initial change, but it's back up to speed. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am pretty sure since the moon is going into an astrological new moon phase soon that is was more than likely due to the additional gravitational pull from the earth to the moon causing an effect on the esc board resulting in a slower speed.

I am pretty sure since the moon is going into an astrological new moon phase soon that is was more than likely due to the additional gravitational pull from the earth to the moon causing an effect on the esc board resulting in a slower speed.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but it sounds like a good enough reason to me.

Didn't mean to insult you. I'm a newbe and find it easy to push the wrong button in the app.

Keep er flyin!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl