P4 - to update or not?

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just picked up a P4 (not P4P).
It's running:
AC FW: 01.02.0602
Remote FW: 1.8.0

I have DJI Go 4.1.5 running on IOS

Is it still advised to leave it on this firmware? I've read many horror stories about the latest build.

:oops::oops:
Hi all

I've just picked up a P4 (not P4P).
It's running:
AC FW: 01.02.0602
Remote FW: 1.8.0

I have DJI Go 4.1.5 running on IOS

Is it still advised to leave it on this firmware? I've read many horror stories about the latest build.
Hi im useing same firmware but on andriod,been good dont want to update but getting firmware updates onsrceen all the time now and might have to bite the bullet,i do want to but dont want any extras,i almost bet something will go wrong in update update process and wont be happy if it does,i be asking dji for a new drone (4 .1.3)andriod,,goodluck i think we all need it..slowly being forced to change:oops:gona wait long as possible

Reactions: DocDiggler
I updated and everything Works good. I update on saturday. So far i fly everyday and no problema. I also use the litchi app Works great
Good to hear,been sitting here thinking about it,bit anoyed everytime i turn on now i get firmware update required,almost beeping at me,along with playstore app update,seems soom have no trouble and some it nightmare,even 2 litchi updates lately ,just needs to be one version ,my time is coming :eek:

It's interesting, over on the DJI forum there are hundreds of tales of woe about the new FW, very few saying it went well.
A slightly different story over here.
I'll do my test flights on the old firmware, and do a bit more research before updating. Would be good to hear from more P4 users who updated and have a happy ending to the story.

It's interesting, over on the DJI forum there are hundreds of tales of woe about the new FW, very few saying it went well.
I'll do my test flights on the old firmware, and do a bit more research before updating. Would be good to hear from more P4 users who updated and have a happy ending to the story.
Most of the time on the forum, u get negative reports. Most don't report good results. It is wise to wait. I wait about 2 weeks before updating.

Yes, still waiting.

Thing is, although still on the old FW I'm getting RTH between 600m and 1600m in a location where my P3A would easily get to 3500m with no signal loss. On the return leg, with drone facing me, I get signal and video drops all the way back to 400m.
Not very impressive

My P4P is fully updated, Go4 4.1.5 Android 7, updated 2 days ago, firmware too, but did not look at the version, it happened with the update on DJI Go4 4.1.5. Seemed to be automatically flashed, when the AC and RC we're plugged into the tablet.

But, flew great, no issues, but was required to recalibrate everything, before it would let me fly.

Well, being rather impatient I bit the bullet. Poor range and tilted horizon on old FW - worth a punt.
With DJI Go on IOS I updated the radio.
Then did the Phantom with DJI Assistant 2 on Win 10 Pro latest. Needed a couple of refreshes to cover all 3 batteries.
Calibrated the obstacle avoidance cameras and VPS in Assistant.
Calibrated radio sticks.
Calibrated IMU
Calibrated gimbal.

No freezes, crashes or any other weird behaviour during the updates.

DJI Go and Assistant both report all OK.

Now, need to test - but weather says I have to wait till Sunday. Will report back.

Well, being rather impatient I bit the bullet. Poor range and tilted horizon on old FW - worth a punt.
With DJI Go on IOS I updated the radio.
Then did the Phantom with DJI Assistant 2. Needed a couple of refreshes to cover all 3 batteries.
Calibrated the obstacle avoidance cameras and VPS in Assistant.
Calibrated radio sticks.
Calibrated IMU
Calibrated gimbal.

No freezes, crashes or any other weird behaviour during the updates.

DJI Go and Assistant both report all OK.

Now, need to test - but weather says I have to wait till Sunday. Will report back.
Hope your test flight goes as well as mine.:)

Reactions: PaulSouthport
As usual impatience got the better of me, I got out for a test flight tonight. Tomorrows weather will be perfect, tonight's was very bad, but I'm out and about tomorrow so may not get to fly.

Weather was windy, 20 mph gusting to 24 mph (according to my anemometer and weather reports).
Hovered at a few different heights for several minutes. Phantom held position and altitude very well, despite the strong gusts. GPS and VPS altitudes tallied pretty close.
Flew straight out into the wind, to 400m. Didn't fancy going far or high because of the gusts.
Phantom flew straight and steady, no bucking or weird movements.
Flew back with a tail wind, again, held altitude well.
Flew cross wind at full speed - held direction well.
Gimbal stayed horizontal the entire time.

No video loss, no lag, no signal loss.

Pretty happy with the result. Will test range next time I can get out.

Remember, folks wont log into the forum to praise the new firmware but everyone will log in to give their horror stories.

If you update there is no fix if it goes wrong and truly no benefit from upgrading. Your call, but trust me you'll be sick if you have issues.
Plenty of benefits for a successful upgrade, mine flies 3x steadier than it has since new. Others will benefit from the new "modes"

After botching the initial upgrade, I found help on this forum to get it up and running with no problems at all. Took it out in a howling gale yesterday (cabin fever after incessant rain for a couple of weeks) and it was just fine, much more stable than the previous FW. You can roll back the FW, as many have done for whatever reason.
How to rollback Mavic firmware
Apparently it works across a number of platforms.

Sometimes i wonder if the horror stories are pilot errors, its the internet, no way to know for sure when people dont upload flight logs.

I'm real drone greenhorn that received a DJI refurbished P34K and had no choice but to install 1. 3. 14 on 8/12/17. Taking things very slow and easy but, so far, everything works as advertised.

Reactions: loonie01
Remember, folks wont log into the forum to praise the new firmware but everyone will log in to give their horror stories.

Ain't that the truth? How about some input from those that had successful experiences?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
finestheatingn