P4 Gimbal and video lost after minor crash

Reaction score
Any P4 help appreciated. I had a minor crash yesterday, one propeller damaged. Now I can't get any response from the gimbal or video feed. Message on screen says 'no image transmission signal' in red. Gimbal hangs limp and never attempts to work. Everything not video related still works and it will fly. I'v visually checked the gimbal black ribbon cable. Everything looks ok. I've removed the eight screws holding the gimbal to the bottom of the aircraft and everything appears to be plugged in in there. It's acting like the entire gimbal is without power. In 'aircraft status, gimbal status, it says 'gimbal disconnected'. Image transmission settings are set to auto and look normal. All four battery levels are the same level and normal. IMU,s are normal. Any ideas?

hm... that seems more of a problem than you can fix yourself
my guess is that inside the quadcopter itself is disconnected, and you will have to send it to DJI to get it repaired
good luck, i hope you fix it

There are videos how to take them apart, if inclined try that? I know the P3 and 4 differ in that the new ones all the stuff is on the top halve, vs the older models everything mostly is connected to the bottom half

Good luck bro, that stinks. I'm kinda lucky I crashed my P3P and replaced the top half, was going to do both but didn't need it, plus it was exchanged. I learned that day that I had no reason to be flying like I was in the yard with the dogs, since then I've clocked 15 more hrs and 50 extra miles.
Hopefully you can get out of it relatively cheaply and chok it up to a learning lesson.

Well it seems that flying too close to a vehicle can cause erratic behavior and that's exactly what happened. Got too close to my truck and it unexpectedly shot up into the branches of a tree after doing a little jog backwards. I'll remove the lower end and the top end this week to see if there is anything going on by reseating all the plugs. I also noticed the two screw holding the camera to the yoke are missing. In fact I don't remember them ever being there. Only thing holding the camera to the yoke is the black ribbon cable being glued to the yoke arm and behind the camera. and before the crash, I was having camera positioning issues during turns. anyways, lesson learned. Now to get it fixed.

Reactions: Sim597
Wow, yeah u know the other day was rare for me to be in my car with the kit, and I set it outside the door to fly off in a huge quad baseball diamond parking lot in middle of nowhere, sure enough it gave me an error on compass and I knew immediately what was up, but that was first time besides reading about it, see this is great that you shared that tidbit, you may have inadvertently saved a couple guys who may read this later from doing just that, heck I even used activ-trac to follow me around a little bit. (I have a Titanium Challenger RT with the super trackpac option and a single red warpaint on right side) and it looked good in the sun, lucky for me I had a safe distance, now I'm going to walk around the car with the bird on but not active and see own it responds on the app, I know the driver side is hot, your lucky you didn't damage your car or yourself or someone else, so that's always a good thing, good luck!

Any large metal structures will possibly cause compass problems. I knew that but afteer injuring my ACL on my right knee working in the yard, I chose to fly and neglected to move the truck. And due to the pain, I wasn't paying attention. I should not have been flying that day. The consequences are a broken bird. It came down about 5 feet from the truck, a brand new Dodge Ram. After it skewed a few feet back, I though it was directly over the truck. I couldn't respond fast enough to keep it out of the tree. I quite pissed at myself for letting this happen. We do have a local shop that works on drones. I have a note off to him to see if he works on Phantom 4's. Web site says he mostly works on P3's and older. Gimbal work in a P3 pro is listed at $250 - $599. Ouch!!!

I've poored through many posts and searches on this site. Maybe I missed it but I've found very little technical information for trouble shooting. Like U, I have a limp gimbal also. Someone with technical knowledge is making a killing fixing these things. It seems that if we had a schematic of that cable(s), anyone with a multimeter could check for continuity and maybe confirm a bad cable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart