P4 firmware update

Reaction score
ok so I got the firmware message update and I agreed. Then was that it? I didn't have to connect to anything or download or what? I'm new and confused.

It was just a note to explain some important firmware changes. Here's the most important change:

"For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO 4 and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft."

The following video explains that change in more detail:

Excellent video. Now I no longer have to believe half truths or complete miss information. Thank u very much for the info and vid msinger

Excellent video. Now I no longer have to believe half truths or complete miss information. Thank u very much for the info and vid msinger

Here is the problem:

Why do they require that login at all? Two reasons, one, to hold your $1,000+ dollar drone hostage until you agree to a new orwellien terms of use, and two, to (if connected to the internet) force you to download the latest DJI NFZs which you have no control over, or say so in, and may not even be accurate. Basically, you may turn your drone on only to find out that you are no longer allowed by DJI to fly where you always have. Sure SOME of them can be unlocked, but that can take up to 5 days, in the meantime you have an expensive paperweight, and if you are now in a red zone? Too bad, no flying for you. It is even possible for the NFZs to update while in flight! Imagine flying along fine then suddenly being forced to land in a lake, it could happen.

It's nanny software. It is my job to comply with the law, not DJI's to try and not only force me to, but to interpret the law for me as well, and paint with a nice broad brush at that and leave no room for subtlety or individual or circumstantial exception.

Your only options are:
Don't do the "update" and hope the old version remains available and also never get any bug fixes, tech support, warranty service, or service of any kind because you won't allow a software update. And never be able to have automatic app updates turned on on your phone or tablet ever again. And ofcourse never use the app when flying when you have internet access so it doesn't try to force an update.

Do the update but have to go out of your way to never fly or open the app when connected to a WiFi network or cell service and never be able to download maps. Because as soon as you connect the latest NFZs will automatically download without your consent.

Do the update and be a good little sheep and hope that DJI never chooses to lock you down or restrict your flying "for your own good," and that the legislature never passes a new restrictive law.

Screw the latest version of the firmware, Go, and DJI, they have likely perminantly lost my business over this. I will never update.

I don't understand. I fly a Phantom 4 Pro. I use an iPad Mini 4 as the screen for the controller. Is it even possible to fly without a screen?

My iPad Mini does not have cellular, and often in the field there is no WIFI.

What a STUPID upgrade.

I was not able to lift the restrictions.

My iPad Mini does not have cellular, and often in the field there is no WIFI.
You just need to log into DJI GO once in a location where you have an Internet connection. After that point, you can fly in locations where you don't have an Internet connection as long as you don't manually log out of DJI GO.

My understanding;

Once the drone is connected he 'knows' about active logon and remain unlocked so we can do wathever we want with the device or use another app like Litchi - until craft not powered off. Then if per example we change craft's battery well need to 'show' again active logon by using (again) device and GO4 app.

Is this correct or any more to know?

You are correct when you say the craft needs to be activated again each time it's powered on. I haven't tried starting in DJI GO and switching to another app like Litchi. You'll have to give that one a shot to see what happens. If it doesn't work, then it's likely an issue on Litchi's side.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72