P3S - lost connection at only 250m

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forum and new to droning. Took my new P3S out for its second spin today and couldn't be more impressed by this little piece of engineering!

Anyway: I decided to fly over a narrow still lake. No wind, a bit misty and minus 2 degrees C.

I only made it about 250 meters before i got "lost connection to controller" warnings and had to turn back.

I thought the range of this thing is 1000 meters??

Could I have a defective unit or did i miss something? I had perfect line of sight the entire time.

Make sure your antenna is pointing at the drone. Horizontal for distance and vertical for altitude. Environmental factors could have played a role. Houses, buildings, trees etc.

Reactions: Brayan2134
Also spend an extra £10 to get windsurfer to put on the controller or even make your own. Makes a difference with range. Also are you flying near trees? These are signal blockers

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the input! I will mind how i hold the controller so its pointing at the drone when distance.

Its a very narrow lake (300 meters across and about 2.5 km long, its used for rowing championships actually) with trees on each side. Makes for a sweet fly over.

I will check the wind surfer thing!

Last edited:
Hello everyone, new to the forum and new to droning. Took my new P3S out for its second spin today and couldn't be more impressed by this little piece of engineering!

Anyway: I decided to fly over a narrow still lake. No wind, a bit misty and minus 2 degrees C.

I only made it about 250 meters before i got "lost connection to controller" warnings and had to turn back.

I thought the range of this thing is 1000 meters??

Could I have a defective unit or did i miss something? I had perfect line of sight the entire time.
Welcome to the forum!

If it is working correctly and in clear air, you should get what it says on the box, without out a windsurfer.

Don't point the antenna top / tip at the bird, use the side.

I thought this post was good.
Argtek for improving overall connection stability?

Rod

Reactions: Techcop50
Tried the same flight again with the antenna pointed up and easily made the 500m. Great advice for any new pilot, thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Like Rod said:

There is one basic error in that video ... it only relates to the Advanced and Pro Controllers in the Freq. statement. The Standard controller has 5.8Ghz for Flight Control and 2.4Ghz for Video .... The Advanced and Pro use 2.4Ghz for both.

Apart from that basic error - the orientation of antenna to aircraft is correct.

Not stated clearly is that aircraft antenna are vertical on inside of legs.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl