Argtek for improving overall connection stability?

M_W

Reaction score
I've had occasional issues with loosing video feed and weak signal messages, even when I'm not flying that far away. The Argtek's main selling point seems to be for increasing range, which I'm assuming would mean that the overall connection would be stronger at close range as well.
One review I saw mentioned that the Argtek made it more sensitive to where you're pointing the remote.

Would the Argtek be a good choice for just wanting to improve the connection (mainly WiFi video feed)?
Or is it more suited for flying long distances with the antenna aimed directly at the Phantom?

You should be sure everything is working optimally before you mod anything, IMO. So in other words, in a clean environment, with stock gear, be sure you are getting the range you expect. If not, I would try to solve the problem with your stock gear. Once you are sure everything is perfect and you are getting the range you expect from your stock gear, then you can consider increasing range with a mod.

Otherwise you are just masking the problem.

MHO

Yes, what are limitations now?

Rod

Well, I'm not having any real issues, but the occasional video dropouts are a little nerve racking.

I guess my main question is does the Argtek make the remote more sensitive to the direction it's pointing in while using the tall antenna (not the panel)?

Your question is a little confusing.

You will be using both antennas at once. The one that stands up straight is for control, the panels are for FPV.

The one that stands up is omni-directional so it doesn't matter how you aim it as long as you don't try to point it like a rifle. Ideally it would be almost vertical while you AC is off in the distance close to the horizon.

The further the AC gets, the more important it is to aim it correctly so that you don't lose FPV - because the panels are directional. So pretend the panel is like the front of a flash light lamp and aim accordingly.

If you don't aim well while the AC is in the distance, you will lose FPV earlier than you should but likely will still have control.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: M_W and RodPad

You will be using both antennas at once. The one that stands up straight is for control, the panels are for FPV.

The one that stands up is omni-directional so it doesn't matter how you aim it as long as you don't try to point it like a rifle. Ideally it would be almost vertical while you AC is off in the distance close to the horizon.

The further the AC gets, the more important it is to aim it correctly so that you don't lose FPV - because the panels are directional. So pretend the panel is like the front of a flash light lamp and aim accordingly.

If you don't aim well while the AC is in the distance, you will lose FPV earlier than you should but likely will still have control.

Hope this helps.

Yes, Rifle and Flashlight, good examples. ;)

Rod

Well, I'm not having any real issues, but the occasional video dropouts are a little nerve racking.

I guess my main question is does the Argtek make the remote more sensitive to the direction it's pointing in while using the tall antenna (not the panel)?
Does it freeze or just go black or what? I've had issues where the video feed freezes but closing the DJI app and opening it again resolves the problem.

Does it freeze or just go black or what? I've had issues where the video feed freezes but closing the DJI app and opening it again resolves the problem.
Nothing serious, just the normal occasional momentary freeze or black screen.

I'm mainly just considering the Argtek for strengthening the signal so that I might not have to worry *as much* about the rotation of the Phantom relative to the antenna, if it goes behind a few not so dense tree branches, etc.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that pretty much answers my question. :)

I had this problem a little back this summer,, video you freeze grey while bird was very close to me (with Argtek), at first I didn't know closing app would work so landed the bird (still add control) and restarted everything, but don't know if a firmware or app update fixed it, but it as not happen in quite a while.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj