Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

P3S GPS could someone please explain

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Bailey, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Bailey

Hey I was thinking of buying a P3S but I heard that you need cellular data in order to use the gps features when flying. Is this true? Other apps on my phone use gps without cellular data but is it different with dji?
    Does the drone have gps built in or is that only on the pro?
    So if I don't have cellular data for the gps I can't fly at all? I'm not worried about maps not showing up, I'm worried about the drone not knowing where it is.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated :)

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

No.

Yes. All Phantom models have a built-in GPS receiver.

You can fly without cellular data. Many people are flying with Wi-Fi only devices.

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Your information source is very confused.
    The confusion is probably a scrambled idea that came from Apple only putting GPS in cellular enabled iPhones.
    But it still makes no sense as you don't need cellular data to fly any DJI Phantom.

4. sinxa

i guess you have missunderstanding about GPS here. you are assuming as A-GPS you see on cellphone.

don't be confused on those terms you've heard before.

all phantom 3 has GPS builtin already. and all GPS on any device wether it is a cellphone, gps tracker, cars, tablets, drones, ships, planes, ect... the don't have any dependencies to cellular network. GPS is working depends only on satelites signal.

the only cellular dependency here that might confuse you, is about showing maps. if you don't need to see the map, then you don't need cellular data at all.
    GPS vs MAPs is different thing.

5. msinger

Approved Vendor

There are some other uncommon dependencies too -- like uploading logs from the field or streaming live video to YouTube. For Wi-Fi only devices, the maps can be cached beforehand in a location that has an Internet connection so they are available later.

6. Bailey

Ok thanks for your help, I was worried for a second there. There isn't much information on the dji site (that I could find anyway) so thanks very much

7. Bailey

Ok thanks for your help, I was worried for a second there. There isn't much information on the dji site (that I could find anyway) so thanks very much

8. sinxa

Yes i know, but we are discussing about cellular according to GPS functionality here. . . .

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

9. CrispyClaret

On the iphone:
    Mobile/Cellular data allows you to have a live map view and upload videos and sync your flights.
    Privacy, Location Services turns your phones gps on and off and you can specify which apps use gps.

Personally I have my mobile data and location services ON for Dji Go when I fly, for myself, I don't see any need not to have them both turned on.
    Feel free to experiment and report back your findings.