P3S Crash on Litchi waypoint mission. Need help

I pulled out a SD card from my P3A, everything I tried it said it needed be formatted, I never have and have set a side, thought a friend that knows Linux, etc, would have a tool, never happened yet.

The mission I shared is the last mission that P3A flew, I used Marco to help find it.

Rod

Bud thank you. Will try that. I only have about 8 .dat files on the SD card. The oldest started the day after the crash and the rest very obviously are reflecting each time I powered on trying to download through the disconnected micro USB port.
In retrospect I should have opened the shell and retrieved the SD the first time the download failed. But, I figured I was doing something wrong being new to the analysis side of the ac.

Hope this works, will let you know either way. Any thoughts on what it was doing in the video I attached on 8/3? Definitely unusual behavior.
It's still possible the .DAT will be there.

As for the video, if the P3S lost a prop the result would be a spin rate in excess of 2 or 3 revolutions/sec. But, if just one blade were lost the P3S may have entered a partially controlled uncomnanded descent. Hard to say. Maybe @sar104 has an opinion.

Reactions: RodPad
"It's still possible the .DAT will be there."
Yeah, I'm thinking the same, the old days it was called FAT, File Allocation Tables.

My card was recognized as a removable, but showed no properties.
"Format to use Removable Drive" :rolleyes: :mad:

Rod

I guess your file system got damaged and only the new .dat files are being saved. You did try the check disk utility on the SD card as Bud suggested?

What I would do, is look at the properties on the SD card so you can see what the total space and how much is left. If you add up the files that are displayed, is all the space counted for?

The easiest way to share your mission
Private has to be unchecked..
Mission Hub - Litchi

Rod
I think i did this correctly. BTW i did run the file utilities. No errors, however there is a lot of free space the card and only 8 or 9 .DAT files. All since the crash. Even more interesting is all the .DAT are labeled with the same date and time of the crash video.
Litchi Mission

Nope..

If it takes me to the Hub, and no mission shows just says new, then it is usually means its marked private. When you go to open your missions, look for the private checkbox, all your missions you make are marked private until you change them.

The card thing?
Normal it would be full, when full and the oldest files get removed.

I'm only see to very small files on your one drive 31kb?

Rod

Nope..

If it takes me to the Hub, and no mission shows just says new, then it is usually means its marked private. When you go to open your missions, look for the private checkbox, all your missions you make are marked private until you change them.

The card thing?
Normal it would be full, when full and the oldest files get removed.

I'm only see to very small files on your one drive 31kb?

Rod

Sorry private was checked. For some reason my onedrive is slow to populate. there are .DAT files loading. The video (corrupt) has completed loading.

Mission loaded, now I'm headed home. ;)

Rod

I have created a one drive folder with everything in it. litchi mission corrupted video of crash flight and the full contents of the sd card taken from the craft. hopefully there is an answer in there from people who know a lot more than me about this stuff. I just loaded all the files so they may need time to populate the drive (if you see this post right after i made it)
The P3S starts over writing the .DATs when the SD card gets to about 2.5 GB (out of 4 GB). The .DATs you provided occupy about 2.5 GB. I think you're right - the .DAT we want has been over written.

UPDATE- I was able to recover the video file finally. It only gives me about 3:12 of video and does not include the crash. What's interesting though is at 1:15 into the video, the camera pitched up and remained there the rest of the flight. The aircraft or gimbal also struggled, making uncommanded rolls and yaws. I have never seen that behavior before. The camera did not pitch down to observe the multiple points of interest as in previous missions. Definitely strange. Link to my One drive below. File is DJI_008.mov

UPDATE- I was able to recover the video file finally. It only gives me about 3:12 of video and does not include the crash. What's interesting though is at 1:15 into the video, the camera pitched up and remained there the rest of the flight. The aircraft or gimbal also struggled, making uncommanded rolls and yaws. I have never seen that behavior before. The camera did not pitch down to observe the multiple points of interest as in previous missions. Definitely strange. Link to my One drive below. File is DJI_008.mov

Will check the video when I get home. Possibility it may have been attacked by a bird. Do you have any eagles where you are Just by the off chance ?

Just by the off chance ?
Large Buzzards ( Vultures ) or Hawks, certainly. But I would highly doubt any Eagles. The OP is only around 50 miles or so from me. ;)

@gmonatl,

Do you still have the corrupted movie? Last night I was downloading the file to laptop thought it had finished, you must have uploaded the repaired one, I watched the repaired one and wow. I would like to try to repair the corrupted one, what did you use.

Rod

Just curious did you know that if you have curve size set to zero, the Phantom will stop at the waypoint then start again?

So its going 33 mph from WP#15 stops to zero at WP#16, then back up to 33mph, that would be kind of hard on the Air-brakes. :rolleyes:

Did you always loose connection on this mission?
Your gimbal settings and speed, will not change without signal from the remote.

Rod

Just curious did you know that if you have curve size set to zero, the Phantom will stop at the waypoint then start again?
)
So its going 33 mph from WP#15 stops to zero at WP#16, then back up to 33mph, that would be kind of hard on the Air-brakes. :rolleyes:

Did you always loose connection on this mission?
Your gimbal settings and speed, will not change without signal from the remote.

Rod
Rod-Thank you! All good points and informative. I did not catch the curve size in the mission. (although it crashed before those points.) I think it crashed going into 12, 13 or 14 based on where it was recovered.
I guess I don't understand exactly how the curve size works. would no curve have played into it stopping regarding WP 15 and 16. WP 16 was essentially in-line and on a straight course from WP 15 to WP 17. Would it stop? Also is there a minimum curve size necessary to keep it moving at full cruise speed? If so, how would I know i've met it?

I did not know the camera and gimbal would stop at signal loss with litchi. that explains some of the unusual video. I have felt that camera and gimbal worked on previous missions where i was in and out of signal.

@gmonatl,

Do you still have the corrupted movie? Last night I was downloading the file to laptop thought it had finished, you must have uploaded the repaired one, I watched the repaired one and wow. I would like to try to repair the corrupted one, what did you use.

Rod
Here is a link to my crash folder. I have reloaded the corrupted original and titled it DJIbridgecorrupt.mov Watching the recovered video again, the craft makes its heading changes and yaws as commanded but the camera never looks down. I guess that's what you were referring to regarding litchi and signal loss.

Large Buzzards ( Vultures ) or Hawks, certainly. But I would highly doubt any Eagles. The OP is only around 50 miles or so from me. ;)
Dead on Fly Dawg, more hawks, crows, buzzards, and vultures than you can imagine. The only evidence working against that is the fact the front left propeller could not be found anywhere which really leads me speculate the prop departed the aircraft, leading to the crash. but i suppose a raptor could take a prop off.....

PS for Fly Dawg--I'll be in Athens a good bit this fall. Grew up there, went to school there and my parents still live there. If interested in getting together to fly or have a drink let me know

I will look for some informative threads.

But I will guarantee these are facts.

With or without remote signal, Phantom will stop at every waypoint that curve setting is zero.
Even if seams to be a straight line.
No actions will take place at a waypoint that curve is greater than zero.
The Phantom never makes it to the waypoint.

Without remote signal, speed, video, gimbal will remain the same.
No actions will happen at waypoints.

Other notes.
When you are inserting waypoints between existing waypoints the curve setting defaults to zero.

That weird stutter that you had seen on a prior flight, maybe that was something to do with a pausing at a way point?

Rod

UPDATE-
I have repaired (75% complete) by buying $95 worth of parts and doing some really bad soldering. as of right now it will fire up, leds on, props will turn on. still working on the gimbal arms and ribbon connector. may need to add a power port module as it was forcibly separated in the crash and it takes a lot of abuse with batteries in and out. will post when i finish.

PS for Fly Dawg--I'll be in Athens a good bit this fall.
Hmmm...I can't imagine why. ;) My dad was a sideline photographer for over 35 years.....Did a few myself. I am assuming that unstated reason is why.....I realize this is off topic, but had to throw that out..and this too.... GO DAWGS!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl