P3S auto-connect to wifi

Reaction score
I bought a P3S and Nvidia Shield K1 for my dad for Christmas. He is old and technologically challenged. He has no internet at home so I have installed DJI Go app. Have everything up and running. I'm trying to make things as easy as possible for him so having as few steps to get this thing up in the air will make for a more enjoyable experience for him.

I have found that the Shield K1 does not automatically connect to the remote controller wifi. I have to go into the settings > wifi > select Phantom_3XXX.XXX >select connect, etc. No big deal for me, but for someone who has never used a tablet these are a bunch of steps that would not b3e necessary if the shield would just auto-connect. I told it to "forget" my home wifi since it was auto connecting to that thinking it was giving that priority but it still will not auto connect to the Phantom RC.

Is the K1's firmware the current version?
I'm not at home to check right now, but I'm 99% sure it's 6.0.1. I remember seeing this thinking "hey I didn't up update". I wanted to stay on 5, but it must have auto-updated. You are talking android version, right??? This is my first android device. If you are talking device firmware then I haven't updated. Will that fix the problem?

Oh, I don't know. I just know when you buy a new device, it's usually a good idea to be sure everything is updated.

For the record, my K1 connects to the bird right away with no problem. It doesn't care whether it senses my home's wifi or not. But I don't use Go.

Seems to me, part of the loading process with Go should be to find the Phantom's wifi signal and connect to it.

Are you starting up the Phantom first? I would start up the controller, start up the Phantom, then start up the K1. Let it boot. Start up Go. See if it doesn't connect. That should work.

If that doesn't work...

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling Go?

Hmm. I bought a Samsung "Tab A 7.0" for the sole purpose of using it with my Phantom 3. It connects right up as soon as I turn the transmitter on. It's on Android 5.1. Perhaps you could somehow revert back to 5.1? Maybe the newest Android 6.0 is the issue? Traditionally most Android "point zero" versions are buggy, then they shortly release the "point one" version a few months later after getting user feedback.

Oh, I don't know. I just know when you buy a new device, it's usually a good idea to be sure everything is updated.

For the record, my K1 connects to the bird right away with no problem. It doesn't care whether it senses my home's wifi or not. But I don't use Go.

Seems to me, part of the loading process with Go should be to find the Phantom's wifi signal and connect to it.

Are you starting up the Phantom first? I would start up the controller, start up the Phantom, then start up the K1. Let it boot. Start up Go. See if it doesn't connect. That should work.

If that doesn't work...

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling Go?
Thanks. I tried all that. Didn't work. Thanks anyway.

Hmm. I bought a Samsung "Tab A 7.0" for the sole purpose of using it with my Phantom 3. It connects right up as soon as I turn the transmitter on. It's on Android 5.1. Perhaps you could somehow revert back to 5.1? Maybe the newest Android 6.0 is the issue? Traditionally most Android "point zero" versions are buggy, then they shortly release the "point one" version a few months later after getting user feedback.
I did a little research. You could very well be correct. This might be a 6.0 issue. So, I looked into reverting to 5.1... phew!!! What a process. I found some youtube "how to" videos. It can be done, but what a process! I might revert to 5.1 in the future if I have any other problems, but for now I went a different route that is working for me...

I went to the google play store and downloaded an app called "wifi prioritizer" made by Robert Botha. WiFi Prioritizer - Android Apps on Google Play I tried a different wifi app first called "wifi connection manager" without success, but "wifi prioritizer" is doing exactly what I hoped for.

So now it automatically connects to the Phantom 3 RC without having to go into the settings. Also, since I set the Phantom 3 set as the priority wifi connection. Now, I can be connected to my home wifi but if I power on the RC it switches over to Phantom 3 wifi. Power off the RC it goes back to my home wifi. Sweet!

I have 6.0.1 and it connects fine on start up. What it does NOT do is reconnect automatically after having lost the Phantom's wifi. This is why I believe finding and connecting to the Phantom's wifi is part of the start up process of the flight app. So the Phantom must already be booted up before launching the flight app.

To all take a look at just above How Tos. :)

DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

@stealle Glad you got a fix for the problem. :)

Probably no help, but I do everything backwards. :rolleyes:

Android powered on but locked.

Turn on remote, Unlock android, usually it will grabs the remote WiFi.
Load the app, power on the bird, wait for the connection.
Get my thoughts in order, drink a couple beers, watch for Home position message / RTH message.
Turn everything off, take a leak, No fly-always, no crashes, works every time.

Rod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing