P3P at 1080P, open to suggestion

Reaction score
I just recently did the video and I was wondering what is wrong with my camera, I mean should I use filters or post production.

I am open to suggestion from you professionals pilots. Thank you

Defenetly ND8 as minimum a lot of lights. Play with CPL filter, it adds a very good contrast and vivd colors.

Just keep flying.

Definitely invest in some ND filters. Your movements are a bit too quick, sometimes jerky. Slow the YAW down some, but leave the Forward/Reverse alone if you are happy with the performance of the aircraft. Try to ease the stick more than move it especially in YAW. You may have to do some color correction in post with such a varied land - water - greenery subject. YAWing into and out of the sun will also create some post color correction no matter the degree of ND, but also creates some awesome effect video/stills. Your camera looks as if it is working like it should.

Thank you so much for that detailed analysis. Do you recommend polar nd filters?

And which website do you use for post production (I am on PC) ?

Thank you again, others suggestion welcome :)

Do you recommend polar nd filters?
Yes. And, if you want to see what else is available, you can find a list of other commonly used filters here.

While filters are worth having there is nothing in this video they will *fix*
The movements are a bit too jerky, accentuated by some sections being speeded up.
These rapid movements in quite detailed scenes are resulting in pixelation which has been introduced at rendering then made worse when youtube applied their compression algorithms.

Try to pan and tilt much slower, speeding footage up is OK in moderation but to reduce the length it's often best to ruthlessly cut sections out, at least for public consumption in a 3 minute youtube sequence.
In particular avoid speeding the footage up when turning or panning if you want to retain that part.
You will notice that a lot of the better youtube offerings are pretty short and thoughtfully put together with minimal duplication of similar scenes. Sometimes it's very effective to hold still or move slowly like a tracking shot, as something happens through the frame.

You can try Windows Moviemaker or (better) gopro studio for free.
There are other free ones.
If you are going to seriously get into video do consider the more hefty programs like Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere.

Thank you very much for all your answers and suggestions. Will keep that in mind to have better results

I'm no expert when it comes to photography, but I did spends so time researching the video part on the P3. The others were right with slowing down the Yaw and Gimbal tilt speed. You should be around 1/2 of what those setting are at now based on your video.

As for the visuals, know that the histogram is one of your best friends when it comes to tweaking and knowing where you're at. If you don't know about, it's super easy to learn and just as easy to use. It's a tool that is beneficial if used. I watched a few videos on youtube to learn the basics and now I wouldn't buy a video device without a histogram. One other thing I like to do personally, is to record all my video with the camera tilted just below the skyline. The video detail appears much better without a bright skyline. Btw, I also bought and tried a ND8 filter and it was a little too dark for my liking.

Thank you FlyNFrank, so you won't recommend ND8. What about ND4 and CPL?

I will have a look into the histogram a bit more. To be honest I only heard about it without really getting into it.

What do you exactly mean by being 1/2 of the Yam and Gimbal settings?

Thanks again for all your answers, really helping.

Thank you FlyNFrank, so you won't recommend ND8. What about ND4 and CPL?
If you are considering the Polar Pro 3-pack filters (PL, ND4 and ND8), personally I think it is a poor value pack. PL filter is not much use. ND4 is not dark enough in most situations. Only the ND8 is useful. I personally only use ND16 on bright sunny days, ND8 in cloudy days, or just the stock UV filter when it is dark.

Well thanks for that Noodle, I was gonna buy the polar pro 3 pack!

What brand would you recommend then? Polar pro but only the Nd8 or nd16 single?

Also the filters will fix the pixelation to a degree. Mainly it will allow for the shutter speed to be set properly which will introduce a natural blur to the video. Try them and slow down on the turns.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was out at the beach to try some of your advice and find a cheap filter (that I won't use again I think).

I also tried to use some post filming software. Thanks for all your help.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl