P3P and Three-Bladed Carbon Fiber props...

Vmc

Reaction score
Hey guys....got a question....I bought a set of three-blade carbon fiber props and my P3 kinda freaks out and is very unstable....darts left and right and I barely got it on the ground.....what is the general experience with these? Anyone else have this problem?

I also have a major issue with the DJI Editor, in that I get the "failed to output video" message and I'm really frustrated with it.....

Thanks guys,

Happy Flying!

Best bet for editing is on a PC. The tri blades probably aren't worth the pretend carbon fibre they are made out of. Nothing gives better performance than the DJI OEM.

Reactions: deltamike
Hey guys....got a question....I bought a set of three-blade carbon fiber props and my P3 kinda freaks out and is very unstable....darts left and right and I barely got it on the ground.....what is the general experience with these? Anyone else have this problem?

I also have a major issue with the DJI Editor, in that I get the "failed to output video" message and I'm really frustrated with it.....

Thanks guys,

Happy Flying!
HI Yip props sound like it throwing drone off balance,,few post about but not recommended for motors apparently ,,phantoms designed with props that they come with,,,,,not sure about Vidor so won't come to on that:)

I bought a set of three-blade carbon fiber props and my P3 kinda freaks out and is very unstable....darts left and right and I barely got it on the ground.....what is the general experience with these?
If you search the forums here, you'll find that everyone who has mentioned these has not had a good experience. Some people have even crashed their Phantoms.

I understand that 3 bladed props are much better balanced and they are a little shorter and the width is slight!y less than OEM props. Alot of people say that the added wind resistance makes the motors work harder but since the blades are shorter and skinnier then that would offset the added resistance of a third blade. I really don't see that there would be much difference in wind resistance. I've seen comparison videos where the hover times is very minimal difference in battery consumption. I've taken off with my p4 on a couple of ocassions where it just did not fly right. It just acted weird and that's with OEM blades. I just shut everything down, restart, and everything will be fine. It just didn't like something and it flew weird. It might be worth giving it another try.

More blades = less efficiency.

Balance is balance.

There is no 'better balanced' and in fact odd blade counts are more difficult to balance.

Tri and other multi-blade designs were precipitated by the need to reduce disc diameter to allow for ground and/or fuselage clearance for aircraft designs needing to utilize the increased power as engines evolve.

Reactions: AyeYo
More blades = less efficiency.

Balance is balance.

There is no 'better balanced' and in fact odd blade counts are more difficult to balance.

Tri and other multi-blade designs were precipitated by the need to reduce disc diameter to allow for ground and/or fuselage clearance for aircraft designs needing to utilize the increased power as engines evolve.

Then why are 3 bladed 3-d helis the hot ticket right now?

I don't get the connection.
Your question is moot.
Because something is 'hot' does not change physics or history.

Reactions: AyeYo
I don't get the connection.
Your question is moot.
Because something is 'hot' does not change physics or history.

You stated more blades equals less efficiency and that a 3 blade design is done for clearance reason.

Both of those statements don't hold true for a 3 bladed 3-D heli. The fact that it's such a hot new thing right now (not new I guess), promoted me to ask the question. How is that moot?

There's a ton of research and engineering that goes into these machines so being "hot" right now is just a matter of times.

Have you considered efficiency is not important?
How about... Disc diameter is?

Your just being oppositional.

I will not argue beyond what I have stated regarding efficiency and the necessity of multi-blade prop development.

Cheers

Have you considered efficiency is not important?
How about... Disc diameter is?

Your just being oppositional.

I will not argue beyond what I have stated regarding efficiency and the necessity of multi-blade prop development.

Cheers
Well, actually I was asking a serious question to someone who seemed to have more knowledge on the subject I. Guess I was wrong....

3D helis do it for more thrust without more RPM, because most of them have already hit the structural stress RPM limit of the blades and head parts. Race quads do it for more thrust while maintaining small disc size for frame clearance.

There's no correlation to any DJI drone unless you plan on installing different motors and even then there's nothing to be gained.

Well, actually I was asking a serious question to someone who seemed to have more knowledge on the subject I. Guess I was wrong....
My apologies if it was a serious question. But when the crux is why something's hot I have no knowledge.
Can't explain the Kardashians popularity either. :)

Reactions: Meta4
I've read some horror-story posts from people trying out 3-blade props...have not read any posts boasting about awesome improvement over DJI props

hey, the ceiling fan in my RV had four "props". Two broke off due to the RV bouncing down the road, and the fan works much better. When a 3rd one breaks off I'll report on its efficiency at that point... LOL

I understand that 3 bladed props are much better balanced and they are a little shorter and the width is slight!y less than OEM props.
3 blade props are much more likely to be badly balanced and will be much harder to balance properly - as the OP's experience shows.
A lot of people say that the added wind resistance makes the motors work harder but since the blades are shorter and skinnier then that would offset the added resistance of a third blade.
A lot of people say a lot of things but only some of it is correct.
I'm not aware of any concerns about the surface area of the prop blades causing difficulties due to wind resistance.
And if there was, there's not much you can do about it as the only way to reduce it will reduce the amount of air your props can push and that will be of more concern that wind/prop interactions.
But if this was a concern, reducing the prop diameter by going to a 3-blade design still wouldn't make any difference as what prop area you'd lose with shorter blades would be gained by having 3 shorter blades.

The DJI design engineers are pretty smart people.
They put a lot of effort into creating a tuned propulsion system consisting of props, motors and ESCs.
You're not going to improve it by slapping on some bad*** looking black CF 3-blades that you picked up cheap on Ebay.

3 blade props are much more likely to be badly balanced and will be much harder to balance properly - as the OP's experience shows.

A lot of people say a lot of things but only some of it is correct.
I'm not aware of any concerns about the surface area of the prop blades causing difficulties due to wind resistance.
And if there was, there's not much you can do about it as the only way to reduce it will reduce the amount of air your props can push and that will be of more concern that wind/prop interactions.
But if this was a concern, reducing the prop diameter by going to a 3-blade design still wouldn't make any difference as what prop area you'd lose with shorter blades would be gained by having 3 shorter blades.

The DJI design engineers are pretty smart people.
They put a lot of effort into creating a tuned propulsion system consisting of props, motors and ESCs.
You're not going to improve it by slapping on some badass looking black CF 3-blades that you picked up cheap on Ebay.
I have no intention of putting 3 bladed props on my p4. I was referencing a video where this guy strapped on an accelerometer (his iPhone) to a p3 and compared the amount of vibration produced from 3 different style props, one of which was OEM and one set were 3 bladed. The 3 bladed props produced less vibration than the rest of the props tested. The flight times in a hover were pretty close to OEM props. I'm just basing my statement on what the data I've seen shows. Could be flawed data. I'm not an engineer. Don't claim to be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan