Comparing carbon fiber props in weight lifting

Reaction score
I just tested my Phantom 4 with fully charged battery in lifting a weight. I started with a drinking cup, 8 oz of water and it lifted without any trouble. I then started adding sockets one at t time until I had loaded all 8 of my metric deep well sockets into the cup. Each added weight caused the drone's blades to become louder but it still held its position. Out of weights, I landed and swapped props for the black carbon fiber ones and again, lifted all the weight. However, the roar from the props was not as loud as the stock DJI props. I did notice that the DJI props started to bend slightly under the load and the carbon fiber ones did not. When I finished, I weighed the water and sockets and it was 2 pounds, 10 ounces. I figure it would easily go three pounds or perhaps more but that's another day testing. Has anyone else measured the lifted weight from their drone?

Jim
WA5TEF

Hey man that was a very useful experiment that yielded some great results. I was wondering where you got the carbon fiber blades from?

Hey jlborne, I got the carbon fiber props from amazon.com. I ordered two sets and flew one set prior to today and they performed great. I did not do enough heavy weight lifting to see which one could lift the most weight yet but I will do it later. One thing though, half of the carbon props were out of balance. I balanced then with small strips of Scotch tape and that worked fine to balance them. The DJI props are more flexible and probably safer should you walk into one. The carbon fiber ones are probably twice as stiff as the DJI, if there is a measurement on that.
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Jlbourne
I wonder if you repeat the experiment you might check to see how much electricity gets used in the battery? Would be interesting to see how much flying time would be available with the heavier weights. Nevertheless, very interesting even as it stands, and surprising.

Yes embayweather. I plan on doing some more experiments along this line but we have been under high wind advisories for past few days and looks like at least one more. I'll measure voltage of fully chrged battery and again after the test, however I don't run the motors at max very long. The last series of tests lasted maybe 4 ot 5 minutes and battery percentage was down to 56%. I forgot to also test it in Sport Mode, which I will do. Thanks for your comments,
Jim
WA5TEF

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan