P3A vs P4: a brief comparison

Reaction score
While I have flown RC for years, the P4 was my first drone (and first RC purchase in nearly a decade). I broke a prop flying it inside (GPS really does do wonders with stability) but it has been great.

Then I thought "****, was this worth more than my computer" and considered downgrading to the P3 or P3A (for at least half the cost), so I picked up a P3A the other day.

I won't lie, I was rather disappointed in the P3A and feel that the P4 is an upgrade from the P3 for a few reasons:

1) P4 is MUCH more stable while hovering, or just in general. I don't know if it's because it weights a 1kg more, or because of the dual compass/IMU, but the thing is really rock solid and gives me more confidence flying around trees.

2)P4 P-Opti is actually the perfect speed and stability. The 22mph governor is nice for when you hand the controls to a newb and show them how to fly. The P3A just screams along at 35+mph.

3) P3A's gimbal 'drifts' slightly, whereas the P4 gimbal stays put.

4) Build quality: not to sound petty, but the P4 feels NIGHT AND DAY more durable and better built than the P3. Is it just me, or do others feel that way?

I felt naive for jumping into the P4, but after considering the downgrade and purchasing the P3A, I am having second thoughts.

Build quality: not to sound petty, but the P4 feels NIGHT AND DAY more durable and better built than the P3. Is it just me, or do others feel that way?
Agreed. DJI's products just get better and better.

BTW, I listed a bunch of other new Phantom 4 features in my summary here.

Reactions: TheGman
Just had to point out, the P4 does not weigh 1kg more than the the P3. It weighs 100 grams more (1380g v. 1280g).

And now you have 2 Phantoms which you don't like, 3 times more than your computer...
The wise choices we make chasing a "Phantom"...and why fly indoors??? Is like me flying a Cessna 172 inside a stadium.

well the OAS definitely works to keep it stable, it says that in the manual and when I disable OAS inside or on land, it is less stable than when it is enabled
do you have a P4?
Yes I have both the P3P and P4.

I don't agree.

Care to show more depth to validate your statement?

I had both, and now I only have the p4 since the video is much better, and it is also much quicker.

P4 is gorgeous and powerful. I think flying it inside should be far more reliable with the ActiveTrack
technology.

well the OAS definitely works to keep it stable, it says that in the manual and when I disable OAS inside or on land, it is less stable than when it is enabled
do you have a P4?

That's not quite correct, and not what the manual says. The P4 is equipped with an Obstacle Sensing System (aka Obstacle Avoidance System) and a Vision Positioning System.

The Obstacle Sensing System is not used for flight stability - just to avoid obstacles - and it can be turned off, but that should not have any effect on hover stability.

The Vision Positioning System is used for stability when close enough to the ground, and especially to be able to maintain P-mode flight when GPS is not available. It cannot be turned off.

Reactions: WWK888
Care to show more depth to validate your statement?

I had both, and now I only have the p4 since the video is much better, and it is also much quicker.
As sar104 has stated, the OAS has nothing to do with stability, just obstacle avoidance.

Do I need any more "validation"? Happy flying.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think the P3P would have been a fairer test. I am still pondering purchase of a P4.
Some of your comments may be accurate but I know my P3P is rock solid even in gusting winds and my gimbal is very stable.
Yes I have tilted horizon but so do many P4 owners by the look of it.
Also I have read of people having unexplained rising and falling during hover. My P3 doesn't do that either.
I really want a P4. I am determind not to update my P3P so maybe I will just by a P4 as well for all the trick features.

OAS doesn't stabilize the bird, VPS and GPS do..
As far as comparing, I have both the P3P and the P4. I think overall the P4 is an improvement in looks, build quality, performance, and features such as OAS, follow me, active track, etc.. It's an improvement in battery life as well, but only marginally. It's not an improvement in range, it's actually worse. But I stopped trying to decide which is better and just like both..

OAS doesn't stabilize the bird, VPS and GPS do..
As far as comparing, I have both the P3P and the P4. I think overall the P4 is an improvement in looks, build quality, performance, and features such as OAS, follow me, active track, etc.. It's an improvement in battery life as well, but only marginally. It's not an improvement in range, it's actually worse. But I stopped trying to decide which is better and just like both..

An honest response at last!
I also think that each model has it's plus points.

I agree....having both the P3P and P4 I can honestly say I like them both for different reasons. I do have to admit though that I do not fly my P3P as much any more. I love the sport mode to get some where fast, shoot the video and get back.

Thank you sar104 for explaining the OAS and VSP issue, you beat me to it!

Imo the p4 is worth getting just for the front facing sensors , not for the avoidance features, but because they help flying close to distant objects without fear. Judging distance is really hard for me with FPV alone, with these I fly out of sight with confidence, even get as close as 5 meters to solid objects.
I won't be getting another drone until we get a substantial battery life increase.

Last edited:
Imo the p4 is worth getting just for the front facing sensors , not for the avoidance features, but because they help flying close to distant objects without fear. Judging distance is really hard for me with FPV alone, with these I fly out of sight with confidence, even get as close as 5 meters to solid objects.
I won't be getting another drone until we get a substantial battery life increase.

I agree battery life is crucial.
There has been talk of hydrogen fuel cells which would be amazing. Some sort of hybrid would also be nice. A small glow motor charging the batteries. Noise would be a major problem though.

Reactions: Bratinov
Last week I bought a p4,I feel p4 much better than the p3p.
The p4 has 4 vision sensors which sense forward and downward. Their sensing accuracy is centimeter level, which greatly increases hover accuracy and reliability. Traditional self-built drones can only fly in open areas. If flying without GPS or in areas with strong interference, they may crash. Most crashes happen when flying drones near buildings because the GPS signal may be blocked or interfered with. But people always want to fly in urban areas, to take off indoors and fly out through windows. Think about it? How many times have you wanted to fly in confined areas? From a hotel balcony or on the rooftop surrounded by buildings? Even in the dining hall at home? Equipped with Vision Positioning technology, you can fly your p4 in places you never thought possible before.

Another factor is the larger battery capable of providing more power. P3 gets "output limited" if i fly at full throttle for extended periods. P4 does not have the same power limitation.

Just wrecked my p4 into a tree at 30mph, 60 feet up. Having felt and held a P3, I dont think it would have survived as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl