P3 Pilot solves all FAA regs for drones **Edited**

Reaction score
I think we can all agree on two points: 1. The FAA's guidelines/rules are way too restrictive and complex for small drones (small UAS). 2. Drones, airports and manned aircraft should avoid one another.

Given that drones now outnumber manned aircraft, I believe this whole thing can be simplified in two paragraphs:

Drones should be restricted to a 400 foot ceiling, clear of clouds, stay outside of 3 miles of any airport without a letter of agreement with the airport operator, no flight active emergency zones without authority from commander on the ground, and restriction of flight to 150 feet above people, structures, or vessels unless liability insurance is in effect.

No IFR approaches for manned aircraft are below 600 feet at 1.7 miles, so UAS and manned aircraft should never exchange paint. Manned aircraft should be restricted to a 500 foot floor outside of airport traffic patterns or within one half mile of heliports. No one should be flying manned aircraft any lower, with the exception of medical/emergency/military helicopters, which should perform a half mile circle at 500 feet before executing a landing or slow flight below 500 feet.

Wow! I solved the whole problem!

Last edited:
You do know that the FAA is working on new rules for small UAS, right?

cool you left out night flights like that

Bush pilots? Lots of low and slow.

Not too bad overall however. Lol

Fire Response water drops from helicopters is a consideration. Fires in metropolitan and surrounding areas seem to bring out all the drone pilots looking for video and photos.

Fire Response water drops from helicopters is a consideration. Fires in metropolitan and surrounding areas seem to bring out all the drone pilots looking for video and photos.

BDOG, right you are... can't fly in active emergency zones without authority from commander on the ground. Done. Will edit.

You do know that the FAA is working on new rules for small UAS, right?

MSinger, of course I'm aware. Word on these forums is that those regs may come out end of this month. Furthermore, the US senate just sent the FAA appropriations bill to the floor with Congress's intentions attached. AMA isn't thrilled with it according to their press release.

The point of my post is simple: The current guidelines and restrictions is a ridiculous burden upon commercial operators and those that have found a new and economical way to enjoy flight. We have quickly and vastly outnumbered manned aircraft and pilots. It is in everyone's best interest to keep things as simple, and thereby as safe, as possible. Over regulation will lead to mistakes, be they purposeful or innocent, which can have dangerous results.

The current guidelines and restrictions is a ridiculous burden upon commercial operators and those that have found a new and economical way to enjoy flight. We have quickly and vastly outnumbered manned aircraft and pilots. It is in everyone's best interest to keep things as simple, and thereby as safe, as possible. Over regulation will lead to mistakes, be they purposeful or innocent, which can have dangerous results.
Isn't that what the FAA is working on -- making the rules less restrictive for small UAS? That's what it seemed like to me anyhow.

Isn't that what the FAA is working on -- making the rules less restrictive for small UAS? That's what it seemed like to me anyhow.

I certainly hope so, but I worry that too many kids and non-aviation types will be baffled. Do you really think it will be simplified? Certainly not to 2 paragraphs, LOL. And I doubt they will change a rule dealing with the manned flight community (of which I am a member), though they should in order to protect pilots, passengers, aircraft and the public on the ground.

Look, I doubt the FAA will make anything as simple as a two paragraph set of rules, but I hope they do, and I hope they change some manned aircraft rules to allow for it.

Not sure you proposed anything new. And you posted in the wrong section. Moved to General.

Fair enough. It's new to me

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

There's still a lot that needs to be addressed - some day. There will be more and more drones in the sky as we move forward. Why not move the manned aircraft up to 1000 feet min. Yes, I'm serious. Give the helicopters 900 feet, no more no less unless they're taking off, landing, or in a rescue. Package delivery and autonomous UAS flights are 400-800 feet. Non-autonomous hobby aircraft at 400 feet max. Let's get the ball rolling and stop fooling around.

Why not move the manned aircraft up to 1000 feet min. Yes, I'm serious. Give the helicopters 900 feet, no more no less unless they're taking off, landing, or in a rescue. Package delivery and autonomous UAS flights are 400-800 feet. Non-autonomous hobby aircraft at 400 feet max. Let's get the ball rolling and stop fooling around.

Im all for higher, but it has to come with wider restrictions around airports (IFR glideslopes).

Since I have to choose, I'll choose lower altitude

To OP. That is very vague. You know in 21st century you'll need to be specific on all of the detail or else someone will somehow sue or find a loop hole.

I also don't agree with the "X miles away from airport". There are 100s of airports that see one departure/arrival a day, if that. People should be encouraged to fly there, if anything, when runways aren't active.

With that being said, should you fly your P4 at LAX or JFK? No.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl