P2V Motor replacement "methods" ??

Reaction score
Have seen several threads on motor upgrades, issues etc ....

But have not seen much on actual replacement requirements when trouble comes ....

I have a single motor on my P2V that has a small vertical give or loosness to it, other three seem fine and feel rock solid no lateral or vertical give at all (have been wondering if this one bad motor is giving issues on slight tracking issues I have noticed) as have been down the road of recal IMU, compass boogies etc etc etc ..... and could find no real outstanding problems except this one motor so thought might be my prob ??

My question is I have ordered full replacement set of stock motors, but am unsure whether I should just replace the "dodgy" one .... or replace full set of 4x at once ??

Craft flies ok now and holds position etc fine with GPS etc (just have slight slide when close to the deck at times ??) .... am just worried about things if this "dodgy" motor gives out when up and flying I may lose entire setup to the old gravity/ground equipment impact rearrangement ???

Anyone been down this track ?? do you just replace faulty motor or replace entire quad set ?? ... would appreciate any and all comments.

Re: P2V Motor replacement "methods" ??

I disagree, but then you don't have to look at the pictures, watch the video or read the post.

Bearing in mind this forum is supposed to be a helpful resource I'm sure people googling motor replacement will find your walkthrough helpful. :)

Those of us with little soldering experience look forward to any hints and tips specific to Vision motor replacement.

Pull_Up said:
Post up some pics/video when you do, please - it will be good info for anyone who's not done it (including me).

When I do it ???? ROFLOLOLOL ..... Ill get the pictures etc but am going to electronics tech to do the work (soldering, wiring etc) .... after many years jumping off buildings doing rope work, my hands are to shot to do small scale stuff like that without shaking, or being able to hold small things long, ..... plus I havenet soldered anything since I was doing electronics at school in the 80's :shock:

Given am not crash hot in this area, think may get tech to install/solder 3mm bullets conns in, so I can do further replacements myself ..... will check pros and cons with tech at the time.

spanktimonious said:
pault said:
spanktimonious said:
It must suck to be burdened with so much fear. You're making a simple task out to be hazardous and complicated. That's sad.
You obviously do not know how to solder - lol

What's the basis for your erroneous assumption?
I think that the many authors of books on the art and science of soldering would take issue with your sweeping use of the word 'simple'.

Re: P2V Motor replacement "methods" ??

spanktimonious said:
It must suck to be burdened with so much fear. You're making a simple task out to be hazardous and complicated. That's sad.

Fear? No. Realistic assessment of my skill level in handling an iron? Yes. Knowledge of the best way to prep the wires, heatshrink usage, best solder to use, precautions to protect the ESC, additional useful equipment to have to assist? None. Hazardous and complicated to those who know all of the above? Not at all. Quite mundane really. ;)

Sorry I made you sad, Pete. :(

spanktimonious said:
Pull_Up said:
Post up some pics/video when you do, please - it will be good info for anyone who's not done it (including me).

Remove 4 screws
snip motor wires
Solder wires from new motor to the snipped wires
Mount motor using four screws previously removed

Not pic or video worthy for normal folks.

...the erroneous assumption is that there are normal folks (who know how solder) on here.

So it looks like when it comes to motor replacement there are 3 methods.

1. Solder the wires right on the board. - I did this, if you know how to solder its not too tough. I am only an ok solderer and I did just fine, though it was a bit nerve racking. Everything worked out. I have seen some recommendations that you first remove the circuit board but I did not find this to be necessary.

2. Clip the wires and solder the motors wires to the pig tails left over. This could work well and would be less prone to error but not quite as neat and tidy. I would recommend using shrink tubing on the wires to cover the solder joints, not electrical tape.
For a novice solderer this is an easier way to go.

3. Installing bullet clip connections. This is also a nice way to go but again it it does not look as clean and adds even more solder points and weight. But some like it because you don't have to touch the circuit board and you can unplug the motor with ease.

For iron wattage. I have found that 25w is good for working on the board, though 20w worked. 40w also worked but was a bit hot. (My iron has several settings)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl