P2V+, Data Link and Ground Station - WORKS!!!!!

wattsn said:
DronePilot said:
I removed the adapter and soldered my leads just as wattsn did earlier in this post. No need in having any extra weight.
Also the stock air end antenna is rather huge and wouldn't fit nicely under the phantom. I removed it from its shell so that is basically just the coax trimmed, added some heat shrink to the end so it looks much like the stock antenna's running down the legs. So my antenna is basically invisible. The range is still awesome. Much more datalink range than control or FPV.

Air end antennas on my unit are just two thin grey wires :?

He's got the 900Mhz kit.

wattsn said:
Everything you need to know is in this thread, including parts list and links etc.

viewtopic.php?p=168292#p168292

Does the Blutooth part of the system work with a ipad 2? I read somewhere the it will not and people have to upgrade to a newer ipad then the ipad2. The ipad I have is actually a ipad2 so I would like to know if this is indeed true or not?

flyNfrank said:
wattsn said:
Everything you need to know is in this thread, including parts list and links etc.

viewtopic.php?p=168292#p168292

Does the Blutooth part of the system work with a ipad 2? I read somewhere the it will not and people have to upgrade to a newer ipad then the ipad2. The ipad I have is actually a ipad2 so I would like to know if this is indeed true or not?

Checking the specs in the DJI manual for the 2.4 Ghz iOS datalink, it requires ipad 3 or newer. I think it is Bluetooth 4.

wattsn said:
Woo hoo! I took a chance and ordered the 2.4G Data Link to install in my P2V+. By simply adding a Can-bus module it allowed me to install the Air end data link to the underside of the bird next to the upper camera plate. Whilst I have not yet done a first flight it all works as have tested without blades and she starts up, lands etc all under control of the iPad GS app. I am sooooo pleased. Here's an external pic of the install. Internally it was just the grey cable with mini connector being fed up inside the case and connected to the CAN connection on the main board.

DSC_0013.jpg

Hey wattson , do you think the new firmware update changes things for us? What I'm referring to is the low battery self dismiss RTH. Let me explain a situation. You've planned the entire trip on iPad , uploaded and the bird is away (no wifi contact , no 2.4 Ghz GS contact). Will it ever not complete the mission

andersonpaac said:
wattsn said:
Woo hoo! I took a chance and ordered the 2.4G Data Link to install in my P2V+. By simply adding a Can-bus module it allowed me to install the Air end data link to the underside of the bird next to the upper camera plate. Whilst I have not yet done a first flight it all works as have tested without blades and she starts up, lands etc all under control of the iPad GS app. I am sooooo pleased. Here's an external pic of the install. Internally it was just the grey cable with mini connector being fed up inside the case and connected to the CAN connection on the main board.

DSC_0013.jpg

Hey wattson , do you think the new firmware update changes things for us? What I'm referring to is the low battery self dismiss RTH. Let me explain a situation. You've planned the entire trip on iPad , uploaded and the bird is away (no wifi contact , no 2.4 Ghz GS contact). Will it ever not complete the mission

No idea. Good point but not sure I want to find out :)

wattsn said:
andersonpaac said:
wattsn said:

DSC_0013.jpg

No idea. Good point but not sure I want to find out :)
So here's my understanding, no if the following. The release notes suggest that it'll rth on low battery only if enabled. So disabling it will be a good thing to do for our case. The dismissable intelligent return to home is an application side update. The phone does the calculation to suggest an rth. There is no main controller side implementation.
I'm going to update the app but not the firmware.

Read the first 10 pages and seems to be that with the following:

1x DJI Phantom V2 CAN Module (spare part No 2)
1 x DJI Wireless Data Link Module Kit

This will enable the P2V+ to use the iPad Ground Station.

Has there been issues to be warned of and are you still statified this - WORKS !!!!!

... as the thread title is quite convincing I am looking forward to enjoy a Full Version of GS rather than the latest software update.

thanks in advance.

If you don't use FPV, then there is no interference issues. However, this is not a good radio practice to have 2 transmitters on the same band in such proximity.

I did mine different than the others. I left the Can bus (so I can easily disconnect the air end without a dangling cable). I also wired a jack for the antenna because I do a lot of experimental work with antennas and want the flexibility of using a tiny antenna for close work, and a large one for long distance work.
This is more of a purist kind of thing, because of my background. I had a discussion about this on an engineering forum, http://www.electro-tech-online.com/thre ... na.141911/.
Everyone seems happy with the 900Mhz one, it is more costly though.

DronePilot said:
I have flown many flights with the 900 Mhz datalink now and am very pleased with it. I wish however that it did work with the ipad as that would be lighter to carry. I did place the 900 Mhz antenna along one of the landing struts. I took apart the stock air antenna and put the wire along the inside of that strut. I think the power cost probably reduces my flight time by 1 or 2 minutes.

The range on the 900 Mhz is quite impressive. I have flown many times loops > 7 km without loosing the 900 Mhz link the entire flight. I have seen it flicker a couple times and by this I have found that the datalink signal quality indicator in the app is a little less than I expect. There are bars in the PC app to indicate datalink signal strength but what I have found is the bars don't actually indicate anything. Basically all bars show up as green, yellow or X'd out. There is no reduction of bars ever. When the signal strength has flickered for me was in a turn some 3 km out and I know there are some trees between me and my bird.

It is kind of spooky to send your bird on a 15 minute autonomous flight. Its great that you can at least keep telemetry the entire distance.

The 900 Mhz datalink does not seem to interfere with anything else. It is nice that the ground end of the datastation only uses USB for power so no other supply is needed as the 2.4 Ghz iOS one does need its own source.

Forum members:

I just upgraded to the P2V+. I decided to add the Ground Station so I have read this thread with much interest.

I would appreciate some guidance on the installation and maybe I can contribute to the discussion as I learn more. Here are my questions: 1) What pin assignments do I use between the LK900 cable and the four conductor Can-bus cable? 2) How do you modify the existing antenna and what configuration have you found to be best? 3) Will the LK900 easily fit behind the gimbal and how do you attach?

I haven't see any photos of the 900 Mhz installation. Are there any available?

Thanks for any help,

kennca

kennca said:
Forum members:

I just upgraded to the P2V+. I decided to add the Ground Station so I have read this thread with much interest.

I would appreciate some guidance on the installation and maybe I can contribute to the discussion as I learn more. Here are my questions: 1) What pin assignments do I use between the LK900 cable and the four conductor Can-bus cable? 2) How do you modify the existing antenna and what configuration have you found to be best? 3) Will the LK900 easily fit behind the gimbal and how do you attach?

I haven't see any photos of the 900 Mhz installation. Are there any available?

Thanks for any help,

kennca

900Mhz info

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20664

1- I found it better to just purchase the CAN-BUS Module so I could use a meter and "ring out" the wires for my self
2- I used a dremel tool and a cut off wheel in a vise and took my time cutting it all off. I ran the antenna cable down the leg and continued along the base as well due to it is rather long. I have had it out 2 miles with good elevation and had constant PC interface with out interruption.
3- Fits fine flat or on it's side. The CAN-BUS cable and antenna nut do stick out pretty good which causes it to go a little askew, but not that noticeable.

Good Luck

Hi to everybody,

I got a phantom 2 vision plus. I put the Ground End(part of ipad groundstation)and BTU module, connected to my PC and the air end (part of ipad groundstation) on the P2v+.
The GS goes correctly.
Now I'd like to put also the MINI IOSD on the p2v+. Does anyone knows how connect camera to the MINI IOSD??????

Thanks a lot.

I doubt that why do you add data link and GS ? Phantom vision + have all function of this already.

sangfhas said:
I doubt that why do you add data link and GS ? Phantom vision + have all function of this already.

It doesn't have "all" the functionality. It has a cut back version of the functionality. I, for one, don't want to waste battery sitting on be ground planning my route. I'd rather pre-plan indoors and be able to play with different waypoints prior to starting up my bird. I can also save plans. There are also speed, distance and waypoint limits that GS overcomes. Bottom line its a more professional solution until DJI improve their stock app (which I don't think they'll do, at least not to the GS level).

zizzi said:
Hi to everybody,

I got a phantom 2 vision plus. I put the Ground End(part of ipad groundstation)and BTU module, connected to my PC and the air end (part of ipad groundstation) on the P2v+.
The GS goes correctly.
Now I'd like to put also the MINI IOSD on the p2v+. Does anyone knows how connect camera to the MINI IOSD??????

Thanks a lot.

I'm not sue this can be done without a separate FPV system onboard.

job2310 said:
zizzi said:
Hi to everybody,

The GS goes correctly.

Thanks a lot.

I'm not sue this can be done without a separate FPV system onboard.

Ok. But if from camera comes out a signal and goes into phantom electronic control, I think that is posible.
I hope someone just did it! I hope!!!

hi,
i m using my datalink on my s900 and working perfectyl, now i want to try it on p2v+, i m interesting about photogrammetry, my question is when i connect on phantom, can i set automatic trigger with p2v+ camera? Thansk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor