P2 with H3-3D Gimbal Crashed

Reaction score
HI Guys

First post here. I wondered if you could help. I've just been flying my P2 in moderate wind. Third flight today. All going fine when I lost all control. The p2 started pitching and yawing and dropped to the ground. Unfortunately I wasn't filming. The motors were still working but it dropped pretty fast. I gave it full throttle but nothing happened.

MOST IMPORTANTLY it didn't hit anyone but it's given me quite a shock as there was someone nearby. I guess I've learnt a valuable lesson and will never fly again above or near people. In fairness I didn't know they were there but still…. It's brought home how dangerous these things really are.

So what may have caused this?

btw There doesn't seem to be any damage to the p2, gimbal or go pro.

Thanks
Mark

We experienced erratic behavior after switching props and using a prop that could have been out of balance. We've ordered a new prop balance to make sure all of the props are balanced. We always thought it was just for video quality, but it appears that vibrations can cause the autopilot functions to get rattled and make the craft uncontrollable. I'm still trying to verify the findings but once our prop balancer arrives I'll report back how far out of balance my props are.

Hi Guys,

I was descending but not quickly. I was bringing it in to land. It was about 20ft from the ground. I was up on a ridge so it was level with me hence I couldn't see what was below it. (stupid I know)

The props were used but I'd never crashed it before in the previous 30 ish flights. I check them all before I take off to make sure there aren't any nicks etc. One now has a slight chip so I'll bin it.

I'll also order a balancer to make doubly sure. The problem I have now is I'm on holiday doing some shots for a friend so I need to get it up flying again. I think I'll take it somewhere completely deserted when I try again. I still can't get over what could've happened had it hit someone. At least I had the protectors on but it would still have hurt a lot!!

Thanks for the ongoing help
Mark

If you have video of the crash, post it up and we can probably figure out what happened.

mikouk said:
Hi Guys,

I was descending but not quickly. I was bringing it in to land. It was about 20ft from the ground. I was up on a ridge so it was level with me hence I couldn't see what was below it. (stupid I know)

The props were used but I'd never crashed it before in the previous 30 ish flights. I check them all before I take off to make sure there aren't any nicks etc. One now has a slight chip so I'll bin it.

I'll also order a balancer to make doubly sure. The problem I have now is I'm on holiday doing some shots for a friend so I need to get it up flying again. I think I'll take it somewhere completely deserted when I try again. I still can't get over what could've happened had it hit someone. At least I had the protectors on but it would still have hurt a lot!!

Thanks for the ongoing help
Mark

DJI recommend not fitting prop protecters to the P2Z due to the weight so that probably explains you're crash.

Thanks guys but unfortunately I wasn't recording at the time! I was just doing a quick test flight to set up a shot.

Is that true about the protectors then? It was flying the other 30 times fine. Never seemed to struggle. It's just there are people and many trees where I'm flying and I'm not keen on flying without them. Obviously from now on I'll keep well away from people but just to be safe I'd rather keep them on.

If it's true they shouldn't be on I'll have to have a rethink.

Thanks
Mark

mikouk said:
Thanks guys but unfortunately I wasn't recording at the time! I was just doing a quick test flight to set up a shot.

Is that true about the protectors then? It was flying the other 30 times fine. Never seemed to struggle. It's just there are people and many trees where I'm flying and I'm not keen on flying without them. Obviously from now on I'll keep well away from people but just to be safe I'd rather keep them on.

If it's true they shouldn't be on I'll have to have a rethink.

Thanks
Mark

Bottom of page 2 mentions the prop guards, http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... ote_en.pdf

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl