P2 Repair Job - should i bother?

Reaction score
Hi, My P2 came down hard in a rice field and was powder off whe i got to it. 2 of the arms and engine were submerged in water and covered in mud for around 2 mins. The main central part of the drone was not submerged and when i opened it up the main motherboard was not obviously ruined. The H3-3D gimbal was wrecked and mud hoy into the motors but amazingly the Go Pro still works. I ended up getting a P2 vision plus which love and is great for photography but i miss the Go Pro 3+ for video - the P2 Vision plus camera for video is no where near as good as the Go Pro...sigh. I'd like to try and get my P2 going again if possible. After i cleaned dried the unit out it powers up with the start up sound and lights but the engines do not start. I figure changing the 2 submerged motors and circuit boards would be a good place to start. The USB connection looks messy as does the battery connector. If the engines aren't starting them perhaps something has sorted. Anyway my question is should i bother and just get a new P2 and start again or are there some relatively cheap options for replacing components that i might as well try. I am confident with soldering and just did a successful teardown and re build on my P2 Vision plus. I installed a iOSDmini and a transceiver on the P2 neither of which survived the crash into the rice field. My old P2 did seem very susceptible to VRS viewtopic.php?t=17468 after an earlier crash and i had to calibrate the unit with everything flight. I lost 2 gimbals and a couple FPV transceivers with the unit.... Any advice greatly appreciated.

It's obviously up to you... because of the water damage you may end up replacing quite a bit. However, on amazon a phantom 2 with no camera/gimbal is $580.00

The GPS unit and main controller are the most expensive parts - so I'd say if you can verify either or both of those are working - than repairing it is cheaper... If BOTH of those things are toast - then you might start looking for a new one (or a used one).

Of course, there's always a chance that you repair it and it is never quite the same... but the way i'd look at it is, if one of the two most expensive parts is still functioning.. (and especially if both are) - I would probably repair.

Buckaye said:
It's obviously up to you... because of the water damage you may end up replacing quite a bit. However, on amazon a phantom 2 with no camera/gimbal is $580.00

The GPS unit and main controller are the most expensive parts - so I'd say if you can verify either or both of those are working - than repairing it is cheaper... If BOTH of those things are toast - then you might start looking for a new one (or a used one).

Of course, there's always a chance that you repair it and it is never quite the same... but the way i'd look at it is, if one of the two most expensive parts is still functioning.. (and especially if both are) - I would probably repair.

+1

Replacing two motors and ESC's is relatively cheap...I'd start there and see if that resolves the problem. You may find that's all you need...or not ;)

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the feedback - sorry for the late reply! Yeah i might as well trying the 2 motorsand the ESC's and if that doesn't work can it and move on. I love my Vision 2 plus but find the video is not great...ok. Anyways thanks again and will let you guys know how i get on. Phantom 3 mightn't be far off!?!?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl