On the fence about the Litchi app

I'm curious as to why you bought it and then made them give you your money back? You knew what it was for, right?

Because I wasn't happy with it.
It's not like I kept it and demanded a refund, it removes it from your device.

Worth it just for the Mission Hub,plan your flights at home on your laptop/pc, in as much detail as you want,when you save a mission it will sync with your tablet or phone.
You can always tweak your mission when you reach your flying site.
Others have mentioned that you are able to fly and film in a way that is near impossible to do manually.

Just bought Autopilot. So far it looks great. It is very technical but I like that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What I like and need that Autopilot does not do, litchi will continue your mission even if signal to the controller is lost. Autopilot will not. I need this in the areas I fly due to wifi congestion.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What I like and need that Autopilot does not do, litchi will continue your mission even if signal to the controller is lost. Autopilot will not. I need this in the areas I fly due to wifi congestion.

It does have that from what I read it's called LCMC. It's talked about in the flight school tutorial.

It does have that from what I read it's called LCMC. It's talked about in the flight school tutorial.

Can someone confirm this.
I can not find anywhere how you activate LCMC.

Ok so I bought my P3A I have a few dozen flights under my belt learned a few lessons and now I'm considering getting the litchi app. I've heard mixed things about litchi and was looking for some input.

I use Litchi App with my Phantom 3S,..and my remote device is an iPad mini 4. Here are my results:
I downloaged Litchi App from App store,..thinking it would be fun to use the advanced Waypoints Missions, Track, Orbit, Pano, Track and Follow, ,..as well as Screen Recording. Also, I mistakenly thought it would be easy to download pics and videos directly from the Litchi App to my iPad(Not). I think it was $19.99 or $24.99.
So,..Litchi Waypoints works great. Track works sometimes, but intermittently,..losing target subject. Track and Follow connect, but almost immediately lose contact with the "target"! Orbit is no better than DJI GO app,..Pano I can't get to work,..and neither will Screen Recording work.
As for uploading to HealthyDrones.com, that is a nice feature.
In sum, I do not think it was worth the $$, since I really have no need for Litchi's more 'exotic' features,..and cannot get them to work consistently anyway. I have read on this Forum that Litchi works best with Android??
I wish I had just kept my $$. I am back to DJI GOapp......
Hope this helps you make up your mind.

Reactions: CPflyPS3 and HWCM
I believe LCMC is still in beta. Not positive, but I think thats the case.

Actually, checked their site, and in ground school, section 5.8.1, Lost Connection Setting set to Continue Mission turns on LCMC. But it is definitely still in Beta.

Last edited:
I use Litchi App with my Phantom 3S,..and my remote device is an iPad mini 4. Here are my results:
I downloaged Litchi App from App store,..thinking it would be fun to use the advanced Waypoints Missions, Track, Orbit, Pano, Track and Follow, ,..as well as Screen Recording. Also, I mistakenly thought it would be easy to download pics and videos directly from the Litchi App to my iPad(Not). I think it was $19.99 or $24.99.
So,..Litchi Waypoints works great. Track works sometimes, but intermittently,..losing target subject. Track and Follow connect, but almost immediately lose contact with the "target"! Orbit is no better than DJI GO app,..Pano I can't get to work,..and neither will Screen Recording work.
In sum, I do not think it was worth the $$, since I really have no need for Litchi's more 'exotic' features,..and cannot get them to work consistently anyway. I have read on this Forum that Litchi works best with Android??

I have a different perspective on this.

First, Waypoints and mission hub are WAY better than DJI GO. You can plan in advance, on your PC or MAC, and sync to your device. I use that a lot.

Orbit. I don't like that you have to fly to the center point, set your point, then fly to your radius, etc. etc. to do an orbit in DJI Go. I really like that I can go someplace, open the app, select the center point and the radius, and then go have the aircraft fly it. GO makes you waste battery time and manual flying to setup your orbit. Litchi lets you setup everything before you take off.

Not sure what your issue is with PANO. Works fine for me. I have not tried screen recording but will shortly just for the sake of it. As for downloading pics and videos from the Litchi app to your iPad, why? They are low bitrate, 720P videos that are basically there for two things. One, as a record of your flight. And two....uh, no, make it one reason. Your good quality video and pics are stored on the SD card in the camera on the aircraft. The video on the tablet/phone will have any video dropouts, noise, etc that you may see while flying. If you fly any kind of distance you most certainly will have that. Again, I don't see the point of using those.

Track works OK, but you have to understand, its new tech, based on visual algorithms. You need a good contrast target, in an open area. If your subject passes under branches, etc, and the camera looses the target, it will lose track. If you want better tracking, you should use Litchi leash, which will install on another device that has GPS (tablet or phone), and you can have the aircraft follow that device consistently.

Follow mode, and I believe leash, are currently Android only. But Litchi has been very quickly adding features to iOS to bring it up to parity with Android. To be fair, the Android version was out for quite a while before they offered an iOS version. On their website though they are clear which features are currently supported on which OS.

Frankly, I think the intelligent modes in DJI GO are pretty dumb. No preplanning, you have to fly everything first, set for points, then fly it again, etc. Not the case with Litchi.

I would ask this question though. Did you start using Litchi soon after getting your P3? If so, I think its benefits become apparent after you struggle with GO for a while. Also, I think you should have a pretty good understanding of the P3 and GO before using a third party product like Litchi or Autopilot. They all have their learning curves, and will take some time to really understand and master.

Reactions: mikesmiley
As far as transferring videos to iPad, I recently purchased a
Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Adapter MK0W2AM/A B&H Photo, it works great not just for litchi but also any videos on SD card. It's much faster than the wireless transfer from the quad to iPad, it takes only seconds to transfer videos.

The Litchi app will not affect the video quality in the least. If you've been using the video from your mobile device itself, you're doing it wrong. :) It should come off the microSD stored on the drone itself. That video will be the same regardless of what controller app you use. The stuff on your mobile device is absolutely lower quality than the drone-stored footage.

If you're talking about the live FPV stream, the Litchi app has a bitrate chooser for that, which the GO app doesn't have. You probably just need to bump the downlink bitrate a bit.
Absolutely correct!!!

Yes I love making videos. I'm looking for something to help plan and automate the process a little more. I'm also considering Autopilot. Anyone have that?

I have spent hours with Litchi shooting photo and video missions that cannot be done with DJI GO

As far as transferring videos to iPad, I recently purchased a
Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Adapter MK0W2AM/A B&H Photo, it works great not just for litchi but also any videos on SD card. It's much faster than the wireless transfer from the quad to iPad, it takes only seconds to transfer videos.

Thanks for confirming that the SDcard-to-iPad adapter works as I thought it would. I edit MY P3P videos on a computer and transfer the edited footage to iPad so I don't need that adapter.

I wasn't aware that it is possible to wirelessly transfer footage from the AC (P3P ?) to the iPad.

I too am ready to try a 2nd pilot program and am giving consideration to the Android Litchi.
2 questions:
1) For $24.99 do I get a complete operating program or do I have to pay XX to add leash, another XX to add follow, etc??
2) Some of the other programs require installation of SDK stuff and/or launching DJI Go before launching the other party's program. How is Litchi on this?

Thanks for confirming that the SDcard-to-iPad adapter works as I thought it would. I edit MY P3P videos on a computer and transfer the edited footage to iPad so I don't need that adapter.

I wasn't aware that it is possible to wirelessly transfer footage from the AC (P3P ?) to the iPad.
With the controller on and hooked to iPad and the AC on if you access the SD card through the go app you can transfer content to iPad wireless, but it doesn't work for 4k( maybe with the iPad Pro it would, I have an air 2). It takes like 30 minutes though.

Reactions: matti
I too am ready to try a 2nd pilot program and am giving consideration to the Android Litchi.
2 questions:
1) For $24.99 do I get a complete operating program or do I have to pay XX to add leash, another XX to add follow, etc??
2) Some of the other programs require installation of SDK stuff and/or launching DJI Go before launching the other party's program. How is Litchi on this?
For iOS Litchi is $22.99 and includes all features with more coming via updates. Magic Leash is free. Easily confirm able by simply looking in the App Store. Not sure about Android but I would assume similar pricing.

Launching DJI GO is not required before use of Litchi.

I believe LCMC is still in beta. Not positive, but I think thats the case.

Actually, checked their site, and in ground school, section 5.8.1, Lost Connection Setting set to Continue Mission turns on LCMC. But it is definitely still in Beta.

What does this mean? LCMC was made a production feature about a month ago. Why would you say it's still beta?

Anyhow - if you (the OP) are using iOS - you've gotta thaw the Litchi enthusiasm with a grain of salt if it is coming from Android users. Autopilot is not available for Android yet. And Litchi does not have feature parity on iOS and Android. The Android version can do significantly more than the iOS version. You're best to find an iOS user that has used both Litchi and Autopilot for the best advice.

Neither Litchi, nor Autopilot were designed to compete with and be full replacements for Go - even though there is a lot of overlap. They are meant to be supplements and they were designed using an SDK that DJI provides.

Litchi and Autopilot have different capabilities. Whether one is "better" than the other depends on which of those capabilities are more important to you. For some people - the right answer is to buy both! Asked whether Litchi or Autopilot is better is almost like asking whether a Philips or a Flathead screwdriver is better! The answer will change depending on what type of screws you have and many people have both!

They are also not the only 2 games in town although they seem to be the most popular and most well known. FPV Camera is another one I bought recently. It had 1 feature that I needed that was not available in AutoPilot (not sure about Litchi) - but I needed to create a waypoint using GPS co-ordinates. To do that in Autopilot would have required doing it on a computer and exporting the file into Autopilot - so it was possible - just not natively.

Anyhow - there are also plenty of niche apps for mapping - like Drone Deploy and Pix4DCapture and more seem to pop up every month....

Ignore what the person said about the video quality being poor when using a third party app. All the theirs part apps do with pictures and video is tell the drone to take a picture or start recording. They don't change the optics and they don't do any image processing. It's the exact same image you'd get using Go. I have no idea what that poster was talking about.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl