Oculus Rift dev kit vs cinemizer/Fatsharks

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to switch from monitor to goggles for FPV. The consumer version of Oculus rift still seems to be a while off, but has anyone had any experience with using the Developer's kit versions out in the field as an alternative to Fatshark/Cinemizer??
The Oculus dev kit is cheaper than Cinemizers and higher resolution too. Anyone?
Pete

You need a PC or Transporter 3D to convert your video in to something the Oculus Rift can deal with. I'm flying a Rift DK2 using RemoteEyes on a PC to do the conversion. It's pretty cool but is way more hassle than a FatShark setup. Much more immersive though.
Only go the Rift route if you are willing to lug a PC with you to your flying field (and know what you are doing with beta code and development environments) or are willing to drop the $600 on the Transporter 3D device.

Thanks. Was thinking that maybe you could just feed the same video into both sides and use it as a conventional screen put I guess it's not that simple!
One day I'd love to fly on a setup like yours, sounds AWESOME... The transporter 3D sounds like a good way to go, I have no idea about coding etc. I guess this type of setup is the future of FPV...

Thanks for the links. I just bought some fatshark base goggles but ended up returning them as the resolution really feels low and there is so much distortion, it's like looking through a crystal ball...!
I'm pretty sure there will be better options out there soon, BTW just on a different note, I tried google cardboard which is pretty great - using that kind of setup for fpv would be amazing, so immersive! No idea if it's possible yet or not. Will check out the Sony goggles, they look better than the fatsharks!

rilot said:
You need a PC or Transporter 3D to convert your video in to something the Oculus Rift can deal with. I'm flying a Rift DK2 using RemoteEyes on a PC to do the conversion. It's pretty cool but is way more hassle than a FatShark setup. Much more immersive though.
Only go the Rift route if you are willing to lug a PC with you to your flying field (and know what you are doing with beta code and development environments) or are willing to drop the $600 on the Transporter 3D device.
Wow! Videos please!!!

I'll be getting my OR DK2 in a few weeks hopefully. Feels like forever, I also have a transporter 3D. The Transporter 3D and the DK1 are far more immersive than any fatshark, but my biggest complaint was the screen door effect due to the DK1's low res screen. The DK2 should be much better. I will let you guys know how it turns out when I get the chance... and I'm hoping the new DK2 will work with few tweeks to the Transporter 3D. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl