Why no true 1080p FPV goggles available ???

Reaction score
Just wondering why in late 2014 there are no FPV goggles with true 1080p LCD screens inside them ??

The Epson Moverio BT-200 are at 960x540 --- the Zeiss Cinemizer are at 870x500 --- and the Fatshark Dominator HD are at 800x600. Google Glass isn't even a viable FPV solution.

I understand that manufacturing true 1080p LCD screens to fit inside goggles are expensive, but I'm sure there is a market for them. I'm contemplating upgrading from a Phantom Vision+ to a bigger multi-rotor with Lightbridge HD video link and I want true 1080p goggles to complement this system. Right now I am SOL on this! Do I need to hack the Oculus Rift to get what I want, for Pete sake?

:( :( :(

Sony HMZ-T3W have 1280 x 720 OLED panel for each eye. That's pretty darn good.

But you're forgetting that it is only in 2014 that we are finally getting a decent system that can actually transmit HD over good range without costing a fortune. (And Lightbridge kinks and compatibility issues are still being worked out as we speak.) Teradek sucks from everything I read on it. Until now, realistically speaking, analog was the only option for most people.

But most importantly; it's a tiny market. I wish Zeiss would update the Cinemizers.

witold said:

But you're forgetting that it is only in 2014 that we are finally getting a decent system that can actually transmit HD over good range without costing a fortune. (And Lightbridge kinks and compatibility issues are still being worked out as we speak.) Teradek sucks from everything I read on it. Until now, realistically speaking, analog was the only option for most people.

But most importantly; it's a tiny market. I wish Zeiss would update the Cinemizers.

Tiny market for now --- but it's easy to see how multi-rotors and FPV flying are exploding in popularity. 2015 and 2016 will be breakout years for the drone industry, with tens of millions of units sold worldwide. Even your Grandma will soon be flying an octacopter and showing off her flight videos to her knitting club members.

Flying FPV while looking at a 640x480 display on a phone screen with sun glare is woefully inadequate by today's standards. If manufacturing tiny LCD's at 1920x1080 is too expensive then somebody needs to make a "poor man's Oculus Rift" with basically a HD smartphone screen inside a pair of goggles. Why is this so **** hard to make cheaply?

MadMitch88 said:
Tiny market for now --- but it's easy to see how multi-rotors and FPV flying are exploding in popularity. 2015 and 2016 will be breakout years for the drone industry, with tens of millions of units sold worldwide. Even your Grandma will soon be flying an octacopter and showing off her flight videos to her knitting club members.

Flying FPV while looking at a 640x480 display on a phone screen with sun glare is woefully inadequate by today's standards. If manufacturing tiny LCD's at 1920x1080 is too expensive then somebody needs to make a "poor man's Oculus Rift" with basically a HD smartphone screen inside a pair of goggles. Why is this so **** hard to make cheaply?

It's like the spread of DLSRs. Does everyone have a DSLR today? Not really. 90% of people never bother to buy a second lens and barely use their cameras. They usually buy some overpriced bag with a ton of foam and little else. Very similar to Phantoms. :)

You can already put your smartphone in goggles; cheap, average, and there is also some Russian startup selling $500 pairs with screens in side.

The good news is that that things seem to be progressing quickly. Not because of drones, but because of regular commercial/gaming market. Gaming - and possibly home theater - are really the driving forces behind this stuff.

What I would like to see is some sort of wifi converter to take my FPV signal and stream to these commercial goggles. I know it's not a problem for Vision guys, but for everyone else using standard Immerision/Boscam setups, our problem is getting that last step and getting that image from Black Pearl into my cell phone...

witold said:

Hey Witold,

Curious what you read and where? I think the poor experiences you are reading about may be due to our Clip device requiring a little more love than your average analog transmitter. Its true that out of the box, the Clip can only get you 300ft. You will need a wireless access point like the Ubiquiti Rocket m5 to get the distance most like to fly at. Moreover, there is a lot going on when streaming HD video over WiFi and to get the most out of it, you will need to know how to select channels that have the least interference on them and you should also be aware of the tradeoffs between low latency and higher bit rates.

Helicam Aero has been using our Cube and Clip for quite a while to great success. Admittedly, they are a very technical company flying very expensive gear. You can see a short clip of their copter with our gear here: https://vimeo.com/96728338

The Bolt is also a popular choice, especially the 2000 model, but it is much more expensive than our encoders. When paired with a directional antenna, you'll be able to achieve a very resilient and uncompressed long range transmission.

If you're in Southern California, feel free to come by our offices. And of course if you ever have any questions, just shoot me an email: [email protected]

TeradekMike said:
Hey Witold,

Curious what you read and where? I think the poor experiences you are reading about may be due to our Clip device requiring a little more love than your average analog transmitter. Its true that out of the box, the Clip can only get you 300ft. You will need a wireless access point like the Ubiquiti Rocket m5 to get the distance most like to fly at. Moreover, there is a lot going on when streaming HD video over WiFi and to get the most out of it, you will need to know how to select channels that have the least interference on them and you should also be aware of the tradeoffs between low latency and higher bit rates.

Helicam Aero has been using our Cube and Clip for quite a while to great success. Admittedly, they are a very technical company flying very expensive gear. You can see a short clip of their copter with our gear here: https://vimeo.com/96728338

The Bolt is also a popular choice, especially the 2000 model, but it is much more expensive than our encoders. When paired with a directional antenna, you'll be able to achieve a very resilient and uncompressed long range transmission.

If you're in Southern California, feel free to come by our offices. And of course if you ever have any questions, just shoot me an email: [email protected]

Thanks Mike, appreciate the insight.

This is one of the more recent videos I saw on Teradek. Not sure what went wrong for these guys...

From what I see, Lightbridge is proving to be quite a performer. Very long actual range, relatively cheap, and relatively easy to setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20