Obstacle Avoidance Phantom 4 - How To Use

Reaction score
I am new to flying the Phantom 4. Please can you advise, should I fly with obstacle avoidance ON or OFF if using it for general flying over ocean/ open areas etc?

I am new to flying the Phantom 4. Please can you advise, should I fly with obstacle avoidance ON or OFF if using it for general flying over ocean/ open areas etc?
Don't forget that the side obstacle avoidance only works in Beginner Mode or Tripod Mode.

I leave mine on all the time, other than being able to fly dangerously close to things I can't see any other reason to have it off.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have it on or off depending on how I fly.

Normally it's turned off when I take off. I normally stay high enough so that I won't bump into anything so it's not needed. When I come in to land, there are trees, fences etc around my property. I usually pause on the way in and turn it on just to be on the safe side.

One thing to note is that with obstacle avoidance on, the top speed in P mode is reduced. With it on, you'll do about 10-15 Km/h, with it off you'll get up over 20 km/h. (Plus or minus wind). And, if that's not fast enough, then S mode will get you 40-50 Km/h.

I find 15 km (with obstacle avoidance on) is a bit too slow and the much faster P mode is a bit too twitchy for general flying, so the ~20 Km/h I get with Obstacle avoidance off is just right.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl