Nvidia Shield recall!

A bit more information, it looks like some batteries are okay. What is surprising is they issue a recall when only 4 have reportedly overheated.
image.jpg

Now that's customer service. It took all of 5 minutes to fill out and complete necessary documents online and will be receiving a new tablet in 2-4 weeks. Hopefully we'll get some of the shield 2 hardware !!

New shield coming my way too! Thank you Nvidia for making this easy and painless!

I just flew my P3A down to 50% and the battery was quite hot to the touch when I removed it as it always is. I wonder if it will be recalled. As long as I have been using LiPos, I have been aware of a risk. Somehow, I think Nvidia is over reacting.

I just flew my P3A down to 50% and the battery was quite hot to the touch when I removed it as it always is. I wonder if it will be recalled. As long as I have been using LiPos, I have been aware of a risk. Somehow, I think Nvidia is over reacting.

They're recalling the units that have a certain model of battery in it, not all units. They obviously feel there is an issue with it. I doubt they made the decision lightly as there is a lot of cash involved in a recall.

Finally updated my firmware to find I had the dodgy battery. Never had any issues with over heating but would be nice for a new one. A shield 2 maybe :)

My Shield is also part of the recall after i updated the system to Lollipop 5.1.1, battery is Y01. Recall process was simple with just an online form to fill and filling in a couple of codes on the tablet. Email confirms that i will get the replacement withn 2-4 weeks and to back up the files of this one ready to dispose.
Not had any overheating issues, not sure if to carry on using now or to go back to my S5 until replacement arrives.

My Shield is also part of the recall after i updated the system to Lollipop 5.1.1, battery is Y01. Recall process was simple with just an online form to fill and filling in a couple of codes on the tablet. Email confirms that i will get the replacement withn 2-4 weeks and to back up the files of this one ready to dispose.
Not had any overheating issues, not sure if to carry on using now or to go back to my S5 until replacement arrives.
You are not scared of being burned are you??? lol

You are not scared of being burned are you??? lol

:D Thinking about it of course i'm going to carry on using the shield, a new one is on its way so no worries if this one goes up in flames.

Reactions: Fplvert
Oh I received OTA update notice, but I don't want to lose root... :p
And while repairing, how can I fly P3? Maybe after vacation season... but summer is the most dangerous season for battery. :)

Well, I did the update on my Shield and sure enough, it's got the recall. As soon as I got to the about battery page their instruction is to fill out an online form to recieve a replacement.

Now, I'm in a quandary.

I think I'll wait until some of you get your new tablets. I've never had heat problems with the Shield, unlike the iPad mini which screen goes dark. I'm going to keep using the Shield as long as it works.

Please let the Forum know when the new Nvidia Shields arrive!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

They're recalling the units that have a certain model of battery in it, not all units. They obviously feel there is an issue with it. I doubt they made the decision lightly as there is a lot of cash involved in a recall.

From July of last year to july of this year. It was introduced in July of last year so... Wouldn't that pretty much make 'all of them' without actually saying "all of them"? That's creative PR work right there...

From July of last year to july of this year. It was introduced in July of last year so... Wouldn't that pretty much make 'all of them' without actually saying "all of them"? That's creative PR work right there...
Dunno. It just says there are two diff batteries - one is affected and being recalled, one is not. I don't pretend to have the stats on each.

Reactions: damitjim01
FYI Just received email confirmation, my new replacement shield tablet is on its way

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439250481.339526.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439250481.339526.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 296
My new Shield is coming, anyone want to buy a brand new one!

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Shipment Details
BvQFvSW6Nxa2Ok5pW73qVtVkp9Z4G5I0lysox-DUeE7iw0qgl9R41gKtJwTpLIjiE682YkPpt2pj5AxP0OzCh73iYcNFZr5BU7W3N9Uctntd2TCXaXSbCkM=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear NVIDIA tablet owner,

Your replacement tablet has shipped via UPS. You should receive it in the next 3-7 days. Your tracking number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Please follow the included instructions to replace or dispose of your old tablet.

Please make sure to back up your photos, video and data files, so that you may access them from your replacement tablet.

As a reminder, when you set up your new tablet, your old tablet will be deactivated and no longer function.

Please remove all accessories – cover, SIM card, SD card, etc. – before returning your old tablet.

Thank you,
NVIDIA

Last edited:
Oh I received OTA update notice, but I don't want to lose root... :p
And while repairing, how can I fly P3? Maybe after vacation season... but summer is the most dangerous season for battery. :)
I updated mine to 5.1.1 and rerooted using 2 apps :)

Reactions: taroh
Has anyone had their new Shield delivered yet after the recall?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl