No GPS data in exif

Reaction score
I am very disappointed about the quality of the camera on the vision, and I didn't have high expectations knowing the size of the sensor. Eagerly awaiting the update to be able to shot in DNG RAW format. One of the reasons i bought it in the first place was that it shot RAW files... false advertising!

However, another issue I'm having is that i don't get the gps data in my exif. not there before or after updating software and firmwares and IOC. (I haven't updated the firmvare on the camera yet, though)

Anyone have any idea why the data is missing for me? Is there a settings choice that I have altered?

UPDATE: The vision don't tag the JPG that are created alongside with the RAW file, only if I shoot in JPG mode will the GPS data be in the EXIF.

Klick on image for the unaltered original file

EDIT: The below is WRONG and is based on my particular setup not reporting FULL exif data - the co-ords ARE saved with the standard jpeg and data are are visible if you have the appropriate tool to display it!

There is none. The GPS is part of the Vision flight systems, not part of the camera. You can fly the Vision in GPS mode without the camera switched on, and you can fly with the camera on but the GPS off (in NAZA mode, anyway). The two systems aren't linked, so there's no data going into the exif.

This bit is either correct, or less wrong than the above ;)
Oh and it always did shoot in RAW... just in a proprietary format nothing could read properly! I think the original plan was to have a converter software, but looks like they teamed up with Adobe in order to actually save in DNG. It can't be too far away, the creative director of Adobe has posted an image on facebook he says was taken in DNG with a Vision running a prototype of the firmware.

Pull_Up said:
There is none. The GPS is part of the Vision flight systems, not part of the camera. You can fly the Vision in GPS mode without the camera switched on, and you can fly with the camera on but the GPS off (in NAZA mode, anyway). The two systems aren't linked, so there's no data going into the exif.

Don't think that is true tbh.

My imported P2V photos have GPS data embedded and show their location using Lightroom 5's map feature.

i-v5ndZSz-M.jpg

http://photosignals.smugmug.com/photos/i-v5ndZSz/0/X3/i-v5ndZSz-X3.jpg

Pull_Up said:
Thanks for that guys - like the OP, it seems mine aren't, I had just assumed that was the norm. Having said that, I always import direct from SD card, never via the app - might that be the difference?

Nope - I only pull from the SD card. Odd

Think I've got it - and it might be a linux issue on my side. None of the standard image properties dialogues ever pulled up GPS data, so I assumed there wasn't any. I've dug a bit deeper and found some specific exif reading tools and.... there are the co-ords! So that's a great new discovery for me! Unfortunately it might not help the OP. I'll dig into this a bit deeper later and see if I can find out why some things are not reporting the exif, and some are in my setup .

Some of mine have GPS data, some don't. I think the difference is whether the camera was set to shoot in RAW (no GPS) vs JPEG (GPS). When set to RAW, you can still extract a JPEG image if you use the DJI app to transfer the image to your phone. So perhaps there are GPS coordinates if the camera creates the JPEG, but none if the DJI phone app creates it.

That might be it. I have always shot in RAW+jpg (the camera creates the jpg file along with the RAW) and and only imported directly from the SD through a card-reader.
Will try to turn off raw tomorrow and test other ways to import the files

juarboleda: thats good for you, but if you open the image in my first post you will see that the gps information is not present. See attached image.

Did you shot with raw+jpg or only jpg?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 710
Yes, Pull_up, I can confirm that I always had a good amount of satellites and full GPS mode.

Today I did test the camera after i switched from raw+jpg to just jpg, and I all the new photos are geo-tagged! :D That means it doesn't include the gps coordinates when shooting in RAW, only in jpg mode.

I also noticed that lightroom don't even ask to import the jpgs created by the vision along with the RAW. :!: The unusable RAW files may still be tagged with GPS, but no way to verify this.

I guess it is an photographic habit of mine to shoot in raw+jpg, but i won't be doing that with the vision anymore. I guess I also shot in RAW in hope that there would be a converter awailable soon. I'm not used to dishonest companies as DJI that advertise and market certain features and gets away with it.

I did not dare to fly today because i was foolish enough to update to an unstable version on the iOS, but kept it on the ground only to check the camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl