Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

NJ senate passes draconian "critical infrastructure" drone bill.

Discussion in 'News' started by LuvMyTJ, Jan 12, 2016.

1. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. JKDSensei

Here we go...California will follow suit.

I knew this was coming and I posted it long ago. But hey, registration is harmless....right?
    I'm just a bit surprised NJ couldn't wait a bit longer to get past any possible challenges.

Next we'll get an "updated, expanded, ever growing list of what "Critical" means

Have fun! ;)

J.James likes this.
  3. snerd

LOL! The Donut Man Christie wants you to vote for him for President too! Gun bans and now drone bans!

kphantom and NormanNormal like this.
  4. 750r

Don't forget medical marijuana he wants to go after all the states that are allowing it . Guy is a turd :p

5. DrJoe

Bill passed senate. Not assembly. Christie didn't sign it, its not law.
    Lots of things don't pass the assembly, and lots of things aren't signed by the governor. Here is hoping!

I don't thing a presidential candidate would trounce the FAA's authority or make this a national debate, if it could be helped. Then again, drones play well in the mainstream media. He could beat Trump if he became the Anti-Drone Candidate. I hate the media.

How the hell am I supposed to know where every "critical infrastructure" is and avoid filming it?
    The most absurd part of this bill is that they seem to not be aware of publicly available satellite imagery (Google maps) or aerial imagery (Bing bird's eye view) or street views (Google street view). The NJ Senate is going on as if a ban on taking a picture of the sewerage treatment plant was going to be the one thing that will keep the terrorists away. EXASPERATED!

6. J.James

Hum well so much for my hunch that just maybe the FAA reg thing would keep state and local governments off our backs for atleast a lil while longer.

Tho if this were to pass in NJ it would then soon be in ny as the scum bags that run both states seem to work in lock step on every thing. Just like Commifornia does also.

JKDSensei likes this.
  7. ScatSpeak

I noticed that in the proposed bill there is sub-section 1(c) which states:

c. The provisions of this section shall not apply to a private individual or business entity that has received authorization from the Federal Aviation Administration to operate a civilian unmanned aerial vehicle pursuant to the "FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012," Pub.L.112-95, provided the operation of the civilian unmanned aerial vehicle complies with any operating conditions or limitations imposed by the Federal Aviation Administration.
    So, if you've registered with the FAA then they have authorized you to fly your drone(s) so doesn't that mean that as long as you're following their "guidelines and recommendations" that were agreed to when you registered that this proposed bill cannot apply to you?

Seems if they did try to apply it and you were registered with the FAA and in compliance that this could easily be challenged.

8. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

California already passed drone laws in a very effective manner by extendeding existing privacy laws. It is Los Angeles that has an ordinance slightly similar to this. NJ is really making a pig's ear of it. (Christie will probably want to eat that pig's ear. And the pig. And the pig's friends.)

All these different laws are going to make it impossible to know what to do. I expect the supreme court will need to rule on a case before states and cities back off from regulating federal airspace.

J.James likes this.
  9. Wolfiesden

Welcome to the 10 round magazine limit people. Enjoy it while you can because they are trying their damnedest to make drones illegal. And UAVs have no protection under the constitution.

Apilot101 likes this.
  10. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You get 10? :eek: We only get 7. :(

11. Wolfiesden

I get as many as it holds. :) Others are limited to 10, or 7 in your case.

maseman88 likes this.
  12. bbfpv

Sometimes I miss Wisconsin :)

Apilot101 likes this.
  13. Apilot101

....I dont miss the snow and cold up there. But thanks to Milwaukee, things may go downhill some.
    (Edit: I know its still not as ridiculous as Maryland DC Virginia area)

14. DrJoe

Just an update. The Senate bill died in the Assembly when no action was taken before the end of the legistlative session. The sponsors would have to start all over again. Yay us !

fastsmiles likes this.
  15. Trackman1

From a quick read it seem to be more concerned about surveillance

SYNOPSIS

Criminalizes using drones to conduct surveillance of or fly over critical infrastructures; requires certain drones to be registered and insured.

16. AMC724

My quad identifies as a bird, so it can use what ever restroom it wants!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

17. NormanNormal

Glad I live in a free state. (for now at least)