Night flying

I fly at night often. A lot cooler at night here in the desert. Hobby only. Yes, I do run some lights and stay around 400’ agl. I don’t think I would like living in Canada with a flying camera.

Thank you, this is nice to know. Too bad our government here in Canada couldn't be as generous as this.

Bud

If you come under the FAA jurisdiction, you can fly up to 30 minutes after sunset. You must have acceptable beacon lights. You must be within VLOS. If you want to outside of these boundaries, get an authorization to do so.

Thank you, this is nice to know. Too bad our government here in Canada couldn't be as generous as this.

Bud
Just a thought. You could round up a big group of like minded pilots and do a little sit down talk and see if they will listen. You might want to leave the big bore at home though. If you had a big enough group,they may not have a choice and with some persistence,it can’t hurt?

Reactions: Matchlock
We have groups and organizations that have done exactly right but our Liberal government just won't listen to reason. Each Minister in the Liberal Cabinet sees themselves as the "ultimate" authority on anything they've been given authority to oversee. A bunch of government Dictators is al they are, and never try to help, just TAKE AWAY.

Bud

Just a thought. You could round up a big group of like minded pilots and do a little sit down talk and see if they will listen. You might want to leave the big bore at home though. If you had a big enough group,they may not have a choice and with some persistence,it can’t hurt?

I wish we had the same drone laws here in Canada as our friends in the USA. It would make for some very enjoyable aerial night photography and perhaps even some interesting flights.

Unfortunately our Liberal left government does not allow Canadians to enjoy themselves. Only people like our Prime Minister has that right, as he even vacations on islands that are paid for by a lobbyer. He even breaks conflict of interest laws without consequence, so you can see there is one set of laws for our Prime Minister, and another set for us simple peasants.

You're also absolutely right. You would most likely not enjoy living in Canada as a drone pilot. The drone laws here are enormously restrictive and quite frankly, very unfair. We are limited to a maximum altitude of 300ft. Cannot fly at night plus many more overly restrictive rules with fines up to $3,000.

Not very conducive to the growth of the drone hobby or even small some businesses here in Canada.

Bud

I fly at night often. A lot cooler at night here in the desert. Hobby only. Yes, I do run some lights and stay around 400’ agl. I don’t think I would like living in Canada with a flying camera.

Actually as restrictive as Canadian flight rules are, two of them make no sense and imo should be even less. 90m max altitude is too high imo. Ive often observed small planes and helicopters that I'd swear are flying well below that altitude and i certainly wouldnt want to be surprised by one. And a 500m max distance is well beyond vlos so how does that make sense?

You're quite right, as some of our drone laws don't make any sense at all. Also, I find 300 feet to plenty high enough as there's not much higher than that to video or photograph anyway, at least where I fly. I live in a small town in rural Ontario, Canada and only ten miles from bush country and wide open spaces.

The 500 meter rule is ok by me, but then again I always fly line of sight anyway because I just don't care to lose my quad, and I get a little uncomfortable when I can't see it. Even the odd time when I lose sight of it after just taking my eyes off it gets to me as well.

We have certain laws here that prohibit us from flying too close to an airport, airstrip, heliports or wherever a helicopter or fixed-wing aircraft might land which means any lake or body of water big enough to land those aircraft types.

As you say, some of our drone laws don't make sense, but there are others that are simply far too restrictive, and even a bit silly as well, like not flying near animals (with no definition of what animals).

So, no fling over field mice? Chipmunks? Squirrels? How about a worm coming up for air?

No flying over sporting events, crowds etc., etc., etc.

Bud

Actually as restrictive as Canadian flight rules are, two of them make no sense and imo should be even less. 90m max altitude is too high imo. Ive often observed small planes and helicopters that I'd swear are flying well below that altitude and i certainly wouldn't want to be surprised by one. And a 500m max distance is well beyond vlos so how does that make sense?

I couldn't agree more, theres nothing at 300 feet that you cant photograph at 150 feet and thats what these AC were designed for, aerial photography. I dont need anywhere near that kind of height or distance to use the AC for what it's intended for. It's comforting to know that it can reliably operate at up to 2kms away, which means i should never have any control issues staying within vlos.

Yessir, and with keeping my drones at line of sight, I've never yet had a signal connection issue or any other problem that wasn't my doing. Flying drones is a wonderful sport and think I'll fly these things as long as I can.

I did get set back a little bit three weeks ago though, having a cardiac arrest, falling down our family room stairs and subsequently having a pacemaker implanted, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to continue anything, let alone flying my drones. It's been three weeks now and I've already been out flying a week ago.

Nice talking to you.

Bud

I couldn't agree more, theres nothing at 300 feet that you cant photograph at 150 feet and thats what these AC were designed for, aerial photography. I dont need anywhere near that kind of height or distance to use the AC for what it's intended for. It's comforting to know that it can reliably operate at up to 2kms away, which means i should never have any control issues staying within vlos.

Yessir, and with keeping my drones at line of sight, I've never yet had a signal connection issue or any other problem that wasn't my doing. Flying drones is a wonderful sport and think I'll fly these things as long as I can.

I did get set back a little bit three weeks ago though, having a cardiac arrest, falling down our family room stairs and subsequently having a pacemaker implanted, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to continue anything, let alone flying my drones. It's been three weeks now and I've already been out flying a week ago.

Nice talking to you.

Bud
Wow glad ur ok after that!!! Were you concerned the RC transmitter would interfere with the pacemaker?

PaceMaker.jpg
Actually I never thought of that until now when you mentioned it, other than when I asked about those sort of things the surgeon told me that I should avoid very large electric single phase motors. Little things don't bother it at all, and even Microwaves don't bother it. The thing with single phase electric motors is when they shut off the magnetic field collapses very rapidly and that sudden drop in voltage or wattage (I'm really not sure which) may affect the PaceMaker.

I don't think I'm going to be near anything like that anymore anyway so I don't worry. I'm 72 now and all I do is drink coffee at the A&W every morning and go flying afterwards if the weather is good. I get to fly three to five times a week for a few hours each time. I go around to a lot of my friends that have nice properties and video their property for them from the air and give them photos and video of their property. They really like that and I enjoy doing it for them so we both win.

Here's a pic I just took of where it's implanted up high in my left chest under my collar bone. The swelling hasn't all gone down quite yet but it's coming along nicely.

Bud

Wow glad ur ok after that!!! Were you concerned the RC transmitter would interfere with the pacemaker?

Last edited:
Geez, I am dumb this week. I don't think it's an insect either.

Ha ha!! You're quite right, it's an insect. Let's not give the Canadian government any new big ideas though, ok?

Bud

Don’t think the worm is considered an animal. So I think you’re ok there. ;-)

Last edited:
Ha ha!! You're quite right, it's an insect. Let's not give the Canadian government any new big ideas though, ok?

Bud
Ok. But beware of flying over the ocean where a whale may be hidden underneath. They are mammals you know. And you may not know where they are. ;)

I would normally take great care, but I don't live anywhere near an ocean.

Thanks for the heads up though, and perhaps I can use that tip should I fly over any of the thousands of lakes in my area.

Bud

Ok. But beware of flying over the ocean where a whale may be hidden underneath. They are mammals you know. And you may not know where they are. ;)

I'd like to add, on the P3 you can set one of the C buttons to toggle on/off the red front arm led lights. This is useful for both photography and seeing ur AC at night.
I have a set of bright white leds on the bottom of the camera protector which are turned on & off using the front leds and a simple light detector [those are covered up with dark gaffa tape so that ambient light doesn't turn on the white leds], and they don't shine into the camera lens. The C button is perfect for this.

Reactions: 3rdof5
I have a set of bright white leds on the bottom of the camera protector which are turned on & off using the front leds and a simple light detector [those are covered up with dark gaffa tape so that ambient light doesn't turn on the white leds], and they don't shine into the camera lens. The C button is perfect for this.
Thats really cool. Where did u get them and the light sensor? They would be great for close up video.

I made it using a Light dependant resistor looking at one of the front leds, a FET & a small 10 turn pot. The leds are 12v & in a stick, which is attached to the carbon fibre camera saver [ which also stiffens up the legs enormously]. I have tapped power off the back of the main battery connector inside the drone. There are 4 diodes in series with the led stick to drop the voltage to about 12v. It's a bit rough & ready, but it works perfectly. I don't notice any drop in airtime with the lights on. The pot is on top of the fet, which does not need a heatsink. I can draw you a diagram if that helps. The wires come straight down, rather than being tied to a leg, which is likely to upset the radio aerial & the compass.
20181003_134436.jpg

Attachments

• dronelight.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I made it using a Light dependant resistor looking at one of the front leds, a FET & a small 10 turn pot. The leds are 12v & in a stick, which is attached to the carbon fibre camera saver [ which also stiffens up the legs enormously]. I have tapped power off the back of the main battery connector inside the drone. There are 4 diodes in series with the led stick to drop the voltage to about 12v. It's a bit rough & ready, but it works perfectly. I don't notice any drop in airtime with the lights on. The pot is on top of the fet, which does not need a heatsink. I can draw you a diagram if that helps. The wires come straight down, rather than being tied to a leg, which is likely to upset the radio aerial & the compass.View attachment 103957
That's very ingenious. I was wondering about interference with the antennae and compass. Speaking of the compass, just how sensitive is it to surrounding ferrous metals and/or electrical signals? There's an area nearby here with what would be some amazing photography potential but there's a solid iron bridge over our river that supports CN'S main railroad line and I'd love to fly there and take video and I'm concerned it wouldn't be safe.

If it does interfere, it will probably change to atti, so you need to be aware that you might suddenly be flying it like a model heli [although a lot easier. It's a good idea to be downwind of your goal, so at least it will drift back towards you if it happens. I had it happen with large steel streetlamp poles, and it kept switching in & out. It pays to be proficient in atti mode!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94