News report from Australia uses illegal footage

Hey SeeUAV,

I was also watching this. Being a licensed operator (awaiting approval on my OC) They really blew it in my opinion! There was a perfect chance to publicize the correct use and the requirements to operate commercially and it is obvious that they in the media and the general public now will still have no idea about the requirements. All that did was attract more hobbyist into the idea and that they can go buy one and fly the thing anywhere and however they want.

Just my rant on it all :lol:

Yeh, and saying that the laws are a grey area.. CASA's public website says specifically that it is not and that the laws are clear. Just policing them on CASA's budget is tough.

Last night must of given the impression you can go out and just buy a drone and start a business as today I've seen some video production business offering aerial footage. .$3000

Are we really surprised? It's not as if we have many decent journalists. I have seen a few links to illegal footage by commercial stations. My bet is even if you are a licensed operator and trying to follow the law your producer will tell you he can replace you the moment you refuse to fly.

I have dealt with people like that and they generally think that they are above the law. I was forced to land my Phantom at one point in a park in the Melbourne cbd by the Channel 7 news chopper; which was hovering at treetop level next to a major protest. ****** could've killed hundreds.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl