Newest Firmware and Happy?

Reaction score
I see all the posts about negative things people say and experience when upgrading to newer firmware. So I wanted to ask if I can see some responses from those that keep their bird on the latest firmware and have no problems and are happy with the newest firmware. I just got my P3P and it's on 1.3.20 and everything works awesome! I just don't want to void the warranty by not upgrading it.

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Thanks in advanced for your replys!
Steve

I received my P3A about three weeks ago. The first thing I did was to upgrade the bird to the most current firmware v1.6.0040, upgrade the smart batteries to the latest firmware, and upgraded the RC to the latest firmware. I am also using the DJI Go App ver 2.5.1. I've had about 10 flights so far and no problems. My P3A is flying perfectly.

I'm not one to upgrade to the "latest greatest" software upgrade when they first come out. Now if it is fixing a glaring problem, I'm in, but if everything is working fine, I'll wait and let the Bata Testers work out any issues, before I jump in. But that is just me.

Reactions: wheeliesteve
I'm running the latest 1.6 on an old motor type and a new motor type P3P. I haven't had any significant issue, other that one time I had a compass error during flight. I had 140 flights before that happened, I had never seen that happen before during flight. This was about my 8th flight after upgrading to 1.6 on my old motor P3P. I had 2 previous flights there in the previous 2hrs, I had no compass problems. Then all of a sudden 30 seconds into my 3rd flight about 300' away I get the compass error. It automatically went into ATTI mode, so I brought the craft back and landed. I recalibrated the compass and haven't seen the issue since. It was likely an anomaly with the area somehow, even though it was at the beach, far away from anything metal.

If you have 1.3.2 you might want to stay right there. You won't have the waypoints or POI support in the GO app, as that support was released in 1.4. However I think you can get that support from Litchi or Autopilot apps. You'd have to check with those vendors to confirm compatibility with 1.3.2. There is an major RTH issue with Autopilot in 1.6, but not sure if it's in 1.3.2, you'd have to check.

1.4 introduced a drifting anomaly in some craft. I didn't notice it very much, but others did. I have a friend flying 1.4 and I see no drifting issue on his old motor P3P when I fly with him. 1.5 was supposed for fix the drift, and it did, but introduced a fatal flaw that falsely triggers battery protection, sometimes turning off all power mid-flight. 1.6 fixed that, but they also included a governor in the battery to prevent full throttle accelerations when the battery gets low. I personally think that was the wrong approach. There were better ways to solve the problem IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheeliesteve
It's okay to run older firmware versions. That will not void your warranty.
I don't know if you got some insider information stating that, but my experience with DJI was they was going to charge me for my repairs when my bird fell from the sky stating I wasn't on 1.6 they ended up covering the repair only because 1.6 hadn't come out yet at the time of the crash. So from my experience they will tell you know on the warranty if you're not updated. That's just a personal experience I've asked before somebody can share an experience that they had where they was on older firmware and was still covered and I got no response.

I don't know if you got some insider information stating that
I do not. DJI has not stated otherwise anywhere on their website though. They also offer old firmware for download on their website (e.g. 1.5).

Well, I went ahead and updated my firmware on my P3P and the RC today to the latest version. After I made a couple of flights, I'm happy to report that everything still works great as it did before the upgrade. So far, so good. Just thought I would report the good news and happy to do so.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl