newbie no fly zone question

Reaction score
I have a phantom 3 pro, giving to me as a Christmas present.. I found out that I am now in the 30 mile no fly zone around D.C. I was not in the 15 mile one before.. So I am not allowed to fly at all?? I flew it in my back yard the other day I was not given any warnings on my tablet about it . My firmware etc it completely up to date. I fly in beginner mode. So am I risking huge problems and or fines if I continue to fly my drone? I have not flown it above 43 feet high nor out of the boundaries of my back yard. Just seems a little extreme not to be able to fly at all. I am very confused about the laws. Can anyone simplify it for me ? Do I need to sell my drone? I hope not!

Thanks

The rule wasn't written for UAS specifically. It is a restricted area for all aircraft unless they are on a pre-approved flight plan, squawking a discrete beacon code, and in two-way comm's with air traffic control. Since the UAS technology outpaced any new regulation, the FAA has deemed all UAS technically as "aircraft" and thus UAS fall under virtually the same regulations as a C172, Gulfstream, or a B747, when it comes to restricted airspace.

When the new geo update comes out, 15-30 miles will be an authoritative zone which means you can fly with your linked credit card. I live 13 miles from the white house in Bowie, MD. I drive to Laurel and Jessup and Columbia to fly locally now.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

When the new geo update comes out, 15-30 miles will be an authoritative zone which means you can fly with your linked credit card. I live 13 miles from the white house in Bowie, MD. I drive to Laurel and Jessup and Columbia to fly locally now.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Can you explain a little more? what do you mean by linked credit card? I also live in Bowie, Md.

thanks for the link... There is so much information out there, I can't begin to really know what is factual etc.. reading that seems as if you can fly in these zones with permission or at your own discretion which seems to be contradictive of a lot of other write ups out there. I am just trying to be safe and legal , and most of all have fun!.

I'm also in the DC region (Boyds, MD) just outside the outer ring SFRA. After doing some research on this, I pulled the trigger on a P3P...waiting for delivery now. My understanding is that DJI's firmware will prevent operation only within the 15-mile inner ring FRZ. This also seems to be clear in the explanation in the link. There's a lot of open land out here and the area's largest RC model aircraft field is also located here. Only one small GA airfield in the area, so I can't imagine the firmware restriction extends this far. On the other hand, the 15-mile FRZ radius around Reagan National has long been in effect (...I'm also a GA pilot) Only commercial/military flights can 'squawk' in and out so it makes sense that multirotors shouldn't be their either.

Can you explain a little more? what do you mean by linked credit card? I also live in Bowie, Md.
The new software will soon allow you to fly in what DJI deems to be authoritative zones. For us, that is the area located 15-30 miles from the white house. To do so, you will have to identify yourself to DJI in the software. This can be done by entering your credit card info into the software to gain authorization.

Now, we are out of luck when it comes to the "restrictive" zone that has been defined as the first 15 miles surrounding the white house. You won't even be able to start your motors of you are starting in this zone. This is the current restriction in place.

I live within the first 15 miles. So, I have to drive down towards Allen Pond area or the Soccer Fields to fly.

I hope this helps. Inbox me if you have any questions about flying this area. I've been flying Phantoms for about 2 years now.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl