Newbie having second thoughts

Reaction score
Hi all I'm a total newbie. I recently purchased the p4 as it looked very user friendly. After I found this forum and I'm having serious second thoughts about my decision. I have left in unopened sitting in the corner. It sounds like the p4 is plagued with technical problems. I purchased through Amazon so returning would not be difficult. I recognize it was an expensive unit for a newbie, however the user friendliness had appeal. So two questions: is my impression that there are lots of unresolved tech issues correct? and can a newbie start with the p4 if I am patient and through in my approach to learning? Thank you for your valued responses.

Many of the posts in a forum like this are naturally going to be people with issues. I have six Phantoms with hundreds of flights and all fly & perform very well. Things are a blast. Read the manual, watch videos to learn to fly successfully, be careful, & have some fun!

Hi all I'm a total newbie. I recently purchased the p4 as it looked very user friendly. After I found this forum and I'm having serious second thoughts about my decision. I have left in unopened sitting in the corner. It sounds like the p4 is plagued with technical problems. I purchased through Amazon so returning would not be difficult. I recognize it was an expensive unit for a newbie, however the user friendliness had appeal. So two questions: is my impression that there are lots of unresolved tech issues correct? and can a newbie start with the p4 if I am patient and through in my approach to learning? Thank you for your valued responses.

Like you, I bought the P4 as a complete newbie. I had never flown any RC at all. I did some time on the simulator and watched videos before my first flight. I've had great success with mine. I've updated the firmware and IOS app each time when available without any issues. I have 60 flights for about 100,000 feet of flying. That's not a lot, but it's what the weather and my time have allowed. Factor in that there are probably hundreds of thousands of P4s already sold and forums are a place for those that have had issues to discuss them. I have no data to support this, but I believe it is a very small percentage of the total units that have issues. Just my guess. I say crack that sucker open and start learning, flying and videoing. It's fun.

Bob

I had these same thoughts when I bought my 1st drone, a P3 last year.
Went to a large open field for my first flight and could not believe how easy it was.
The Phantom basically flies itself, you just tell it where to go.
My second flight was out of my backyard between trees and telephone lines, piece of cake.

Reactions: DBrian
My opinion is this P4 is an amazingly stable machine, for me that is my main requirement, the video system is a bit mickey mouse, everyone has trouble from time to time tried loads of different tablets, but its all hit and miss and asking DJi support is a farce!, they havent a clue and give it the old unplug it and plug it in again, LOL!, but as I said as a fully stabilised flying machine for someone that cant fly RC, ie Me!!, its a breeze and highly recommended for a newbie, i have flown about 50 missions now and it flies fantastic, love it!!

Call me crazy but for a new flyer A P4 would probably be my first recommendation, leave it in P mode, take it to an open space and get her flying you will quickly learn it and love it. The downside is the P4 will give you too much confidence and you will quickly be trying to do things outside your ability if you can avoid this the P4 will last you a long time. Inside the GO app, you can't set such things as maximum distance, height etc. I suggest turning on and connecting to your P4 and going through every step in the app and adjusting the perimeters your confident in understanding, if there are any questions you have about ANYTHING before your maiden flight, ask here.

A lot of neigh sayers are comparing the P4 as reiteration to their previous P*, as a new flyer you will be absolutely amazed with your new Phantom.

Keep it. A lot of problems are caused by user interference with the unit (like adding the gimbal protector causing the yo-yo effect).
Or return it and for $500 more get the Inspire, much bigger flying platform with much more options.

I have to disagree that the P4 is a good choice for a new
drone flyer. Although it's very advanced the biggest problem I think with people having problems is there is so much to learn. I have flown rc since about 1989. I can tell you no matter how much I knew at my work bench about the craft didn't stop the weak knees and nervousness first time flying. You have to get your Sea Legs so to speak. When you are nervous you are bound to make mistakes. It's not that the flying is hard to do...it's what to do if it does something you don't expect.
I think a cheap quad is good to start so you can develope your motor skills and get your feet wet and at the same time you are reading and learning about these
things. I wouldn't put a first time driver in a Ferrari. I'm a good pilot but I personally haven't upgraded to the newer quads because I want to just fly and have a good time and not be bothered by all the restrictions, software issues, phone or tablet problems, etc. It also depends on how you adapt to this sport and your skills. Just read the posts on this forum to help you make a decision . Everybody is different.

is my impression that there are lots of unresolved tech issues correct?
That's likely your impression if all you're doing is reading forums online. Pick any quadcopter though and you'll likely have the same impression. In reality, I'd say the Phantom 4 is the most problem-free Phantom released so far.

@Monte55 I understand your point, but I wouldn't consider a P4 a Ferrari, I would consider it a Volvo XC90, a middle priced technically advanced machine jam packed with redundancy and safety features.

Ibmftw said:
@Monte55 I understand your point, but I wouldn't consider a P4 a Ferrari, I would consider it a Volvo XC90, a middle priced technically advanced machine jam packed with redundancy and safety features.
I could not really recommend a craft to someone unlessI knew what their skills are. Sure, its easy to say, SURE ..KEEP IT AND JUST FLY. The people will not be there to help much after the crash as many will do. As far as the Ferrari thing....that's what its probably like to someone that has never done this. Even with a P1, there are so many things to consider. RTH altitude may not clear many tall trees. That can be reset once in the air. Understanding the led flashes....IOC and how it works...etc. Many get anxious. ...stop reading..and just want to get up into the air. Sadly they come back here to tell us about the crash. If no one wants to heed words of advice...so be it.

Hi Bob - well I have moved closer to it since reading your response to my earlier post. Have you uploaded the latest GO app? If so I assume without issue as many are describing. I have no choice but to download the latest version. There is a lot to learn and some of it sounds daunting; however insuspectbitsbmuch easier once you start the process.

[/QUOTE]
Like you, I bought the P4 as a complete newbie. I had never flown any RC at all. I did some time on the simulator and watched videos before my first flight. I've had great success with mine. I've updated the firmware and IOS app each time when available without any issues. I have 60 flights for about 100,000 feet of flying. That's not a lot, but it's what the weather and my time have allowed. Factor in that there are probably hundreds of thousands of P4s already sold and forums are a place for those that have had issues to discuss them. I have no data to support this, but I believe it is a very small percentage of the total units that have issues. Just my guess. I say crack that sucker open and start learning, flying and videoing. It's fun.

Bob

Look for somebody close to your location that is an experienced flyer and ask for some hands on training and guidance.

Open it. You will love it. I think it is a fine vehicle and I have a 3 also. I do not have range issues. It is such an intuitive machine. You will geek on it big.

The maiden flight on my new P4 was over 7 miles round trip...needed to know if I go home or to the store. I have flown lots of R/C before so my "crap" factor was non existent.
In your case keep it, fly it, it will be a good starting platform for whatever is in the future regarding drones, you need to start sometime.
Never understood the mentality of start small and cheap and progress...money wasted and time lost. Just go in a VERY open field and have fun. Always fly well above anything is around you.

Reactions: Gasturbine
Ignore the negs, i was the same, saved and bought it only to be bricking myself about flying it after all the horror stories but have been going out and pushing it a little more each time. I can honestly say it has performed flawlessly and then some. Charge it up, take it out, do all the pre flight checks and fly it, you will love it and gain in confidence each time you use it.
Take mine out three or four times a day with two batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl