Newbie having second thoughts

Must be British, or European.

"Touch Wood" is "Knock on wood" here and "touch wood" sounds like something you would want your wife to do in the morning. ;) :-X (I've always thought that phrase sounded weird in the UK).
Haha, yea touch wood here is to not tempt fate with what you've just said. Example: ive never crashed my drone. Then next flight you crash because you havent touched wood (tree variety)

While there are people that are happy with their P4s there are others who have not been so fortunate. I don't know what percentage of P4 owners are in either camp and I'm not sure anybody else knows that either.

Personally, I returned mine because there were just too many problems with the drone, DJI's support, and also the DJI forum. I was spending more time trying to get things to work properly than I was flying. Your experience may or may not be the same.

I am of the opinion that waiting for a few months to see what kind of chatter is going on here might be a good idea. You know, to see if the bugs have been squashed. I may buy another P4, but not until then.

Apart from the software and firmware issues I am also concerned about the stress fractures that--it sounds like--almost everyone can expect to develop. Did you see that thread where somebody flies another drone, crashing it intenionally over and over, breaking a whole bunch of props, kicking it over and over? I don't know what that drone was but it seemed **** near indestructible.

Anyway, regarding your situation, why not fly yours and see how it goes? Be prepared for the problems you've read about and be prepared to return it if you have to. The longer you wait before flying the less time you'll have to decide.
Lol@ this post. If the P4 was made
Haha, yea touch wood here is to not tempt fate with what you've just said. Example: ive never crashed my drone. Then next flight you crash because you havent touched wood (tree variety)
ill knock and touch wood now, probably for the rest of my life.

Thanks for that: ;)

Hi all I'm a total newbie. I recently purchased the p4 as it looked very user friendly. After I found this forum and I'm having serious second thoughts about my decision. I have left in unopened sitting in the corner. It sounds like the p4 is plagued with technical problems. I purchased through Amazon so returning would not be difficult. I recognize it was an expensive unit for a newbie, however the user friendliness had appeal. So two questions: is my impression that there are lots of unresolved tech issues correct? and can a newbie start with the p4 if I am patient and through in my approach to learning? Thank you for your valued responses.

I concur. I was new to the Drones as well and initially purchased the P3 Pro but it never flew. I sent it back. Then went to Best Buy and bought the P4. After 4 weeks I feel like I've been flying it forever. Take your time. Find a field to "exercise it" and work on the basics of flying. Forget about shooting footage initially. Once you have command over it then hone your camera skills.

They are addicting and fun. Now looking to buy a cheap one just to work on speed flying. Do not fly over / around people and use common sense.

Beach Eagle out!

Take me about a year to decide to buy the drone... And really was lucky shoot that while browsing eBay I end up finding my FC40 at excellent price... Now I'm tempted to get a small one on the 250 category for speed!

If i get another drone for video or picture I will get a P3 without doubt... I'm not a expert pilot but i know that the platform is excellent and really friendly for new users as long as i follow common sense and basic steps.

Many of the posts in a forum like this are naturally going to be people with issues. I have six Phantoms with hundreds of flights and all fly & perform very well. Things are a blast. Read the manual, watch videos to learn to fly successfully, be careful, & have some fun!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That's a great video. Where did you take that? Were you inside the truck the entire time? And how many minutes in average do you get? That was quite a long flight..!

Thanks. Yes I was flying from inside the truck the entire flight. Been doing that often it's very convenient & comfortable. The video is of Baltimore's Inner Harbor & I launched from Port Covington about two miles south of the harbor. Depending on conditions & which Phantom I'm flying I usually get 18-22 minutes of flight.

That's a great video. Where did you take that? Were you inside the truck the entire time? And how many minutes in average do you get? That was quite a long flight..!

3 months ago I was a newbie, I've clocked over 1.200,000ft, well over 200 miles, it's a great hobby. The ppl who by these drones are the most **** of any hobby I've ever seen, if a sticker is on backwards, or missing they want to know if it's been used before or should be returned!
As a group for some reason "we" are nuts, sorry but true.
When I say **** compared to other hobbies, let's see, RC planes, RC cars, RC helicopters, pellet gun, high end $2000 pellet guns, real guns, 1911 pistols, telescopes, 4wheel RZRs, quads, computers, liquid cooled computers, I mean, I've done any cool hobby there is, cars, name it, turbos, cameras, astrophotographer, literally, I've been lucky to work a good job and be able to do what I want up until recently, and not one hobby have I met a more **** crowd, it even comes off on you, I replaced a perfectly good P4 for TiHo and of course new one has it too, it's something they all have to an extent.
You should return it if you really feel it's too expensive to lose, but for $5 a month, insure it, and quite the worrying, if it flys away, or crashes you'll be OK

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oh, yeah and like others have said, I was so scared at first I thought it was gonna fall out of the sky, I'd literally be shaking hands after or during a flight. Every time I've flown my P3P and P4 the bird has performed 99.99% flawlessly, the times I've had a small glitch, it was minor and rectified with cleaning the camera sensors or whatever

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.