NEW WI-FI MODULE REQUIRED?

Reaction score
Flying P2V+ It's modified with both FPVLR 5.8 ghz & 2.4 ghz dipole antennas Also Itelite antenna boosted with 2.4Ghz Sunhas amp etc. I have been losing both 5.8Ghz control distance AND my video signal has gotten worse - darker & terrible resolution on my phone even though the 2.4Ghz signal is really very good & never drops due to it being amp'd up! The video from the P2V+ sucks & so do the pics.
So I changed my controller for the new gimbal jog wheel controller today. PLUS I modified it to accept the Itelite panel AND replaced the WiFi extender Also modifying it to fit the Itelite panel again.
STILL the same - no difference. Soooooooo - could it be that I now need to replace the on board WiFi module?
This was my 1st ever Phantom so I want to continue enjoying it - I fly the new Mavic ( game changer) also P3Pro but I still enjoy flying the P2V+
I know these old units are obsolete & there is not a lot of movement on this section of the site but hoping someone like myself can offer their opinion, new on board WiFi unit or something else less obvious?
Thanks guys
Paul

No obsolete in my eyes Paul as I enjoy flying my P2V as much as I did when I got it . Makes for great stick practice .
Lets see what my P2 go to man thinks @J Dot .

Reactions: Palliz
No obsolete in my eyes Paul as I enjoy flying my P2V as much as I did when I got it . Makes for great stick practice .
Lets see what my P2 go to man thinks @J Dot .
Many thanks for the response 'Dirkclod' As you can see I have been slowly working through the obvious problems by changing the Wifi Extender ( battery wasn't holding charge anyway ) Also new Controller with the new jog wheel which was well worth the change for sure but also because my 5.8Ghz range had dropped so much - figured that might have been the range problem solved.....NOT
Thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys,
( thanks for the alert Dirk! :) )

Ok Palliz,
I'll need more info.
When you say your video and pics suck, do you mean through your device, or through SD CARD?

If through your device
( check your PREVIEW QUALITY, IN APP SETTINGS MENU ) change to a higher bit rate for cleaner image.

If on SD CARD,
Then check your camera settings, you may need to make some tweaks to get better quality pics.

Does not sound like a wifi module problem, more like a settings problem, or camera issue?
Let me know?

Hope this helps
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey guys,
( thanks for the alert Dirk! :) )

Ok Palliz,
I'll need more info.
When you say your video and pics suck, do you mean through your device, or through SD CARD?

If through your device
( check your PREVIEW QUALITY, IN APP SETTINGS MENU ) change to a higher bit rate for cleaner image.

If on SD CARD,
Then check your camera settings, you may need to make some tweaks to get better quality pics.

Does not sound like a wifi module problem, more like a settings problem, or camera issue?
Let me know?

Hope this helps
J Dot
Hi - thanks for getting back on this.........quick answer - BOTH!
I used to get great FPV on my device @ highest resolution ( 2.4Ghz is amped ) now even when I mess around in settings it doesn't help.
The video AND pics from the SD card look really bad too - dark - soft & loads of jello on the vids - pics all around are just BAD.
So yes I have tweaked around in settings - hasn't helped. Preview quality is set at highest resolution - looks really BAD
I did change the camera a while back but it was working fine.
Haven't been using the P2V+ much since I also have P3Pro & Mavic but it is stored in proper case with batteries @ around 20% charge.
As I mentioned I just changed the WiFi extender & upgraded to the jog wheel controller - thinking it may help resolve both 5.8Ghz distance drop off & 2.4Ghz FPV/pic/vid quality but it obviously didn't!
I can attach a few pics of my set up if that'll help any at all?
Cheers & thanks for staying with me on this - much appreciated all around you guys
Paul

Hey Paul,
Ok

5.8ghz signal
The Tx that DJI uses ( any ) are highly regulated by FCC.
That being said, no matter what Tx you use ( dial wheel, 7th channel mod, or original , they only transmit a SET power ( FCC REGULATED ) so as you see, changing Tx will NOT help your signal. ( unfortunately )
NOTE: I'm sure there has been an instant, that the Tx might have been going bad, and signal had become weak, where a new Tx would boost it back up to STOCK, but no more. But most likely RARE.
( but your FPVLR setup should improve that. )

Ps, have you considered going to ( ittelite instead? ) have heard GREAT reviews on them, @dirkclod can help with range. ( and it does BOTH frequencies in 1 unit ) pretty cool!

Ok back to your CAMERA
If your image, and video on your SD card is bad, than your camera has a problem. ( have you CLEANED your lens lately? ) also jello, is either UNBALANCED PROPS, or WORN OR TORN jello-balls. ) please scrutinize those items mentioned. And get back to me, thank you.

J Dot

Hey Paul,
Ok

5.8ghz signal
The Tx that DJI uses ( any ) are highly regulated by FCC.
That being said, no matter what Tx you use ( dial wheel, 7th channel mod, or original , they only transmit a SET power ( FCC REGULATED ) so as you see, changing Tx will NOT help your signal. ( unfortunately )
NOTE: I'm sure there has been an instant, that the Tx might have been going bad, and signal had become weak, where a new Tx would boost it back up to STOCK, but no more. But most likely RARE.
( but your FPVLR setup should improve that. )

Ps, have you considered going to ( ittelite instead? ) have heard GREAT reviews on them, @dirkclod can help with range. ( and it does BOTH frequencies in 1 unit ) pretty cool!

Ok back to your CAMERA
If your image, and video on your SD card is bad, than your camera has a problem. ( have you CLEANED your lens lately? ) also jello, is either UNBALANCED PROPS, or WORN OR TORN jello-balls. ) please scrutinize those items mentioned. And get back to me, thank you.

J Dot
Hi J Dot
Thanks for the above - I will try to be as detailed as possible & answer all points you mentioned

1. Yes I understand the Tx signal setup I have attached a screen saver of my P2V+ reaching Distance 8039ft @ 720ft Altitude - I set the distance to 8000ft in the dji Vision Assistant but I guess went a little past the 8000ft mark as I was at full speed to get it back with battery to spare.
2. You mentioned the Itelite Panel setup - Yep the above long distance result was achieved with the Itelite Panel & FPVLR Dipole antennas fitted too ( see attached images ) From Tony Marcantonio @ fpvlr.com
3. I did set the FPV resolution as low as possible as I just needed a basic image to get there & back.
4. Yes lens clean as a whistle & vibration dampeners all changed recently ALL in great shape. Brand new props fitted & checked - ALL in great shape.
5. Have attached several pics to show my setup which I had installed prior to my distance flight 29 July 2015.

Getting kinda frustrating right now to be honest - Just wanted the P2V+ up & running without all the seemingly inherent problems associated with this model - Been flying drones for a while now & the P2V+ has always been the one that stood out most & needed the most attention/repairs etc.
I am still leaning towards new WiFi unit in the P2V+ itself - Any further pointers or advice having read the above is greatly appreciated.
Cheers again
Paul

Attachments

• 20170201_110945.jpg
    20170201_110945.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 354
  • 20170201_111009.jpg
    20170201_111009.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 20170201_111558.jpg
    20170201_111558.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 362
  • 20170201_111628.jpg
    20170201_111628.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 20170201_111655.jpg
    20170201_111655.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 365
  • Screenshot P2V+ 29 July 2015 Distance 8039.2ft Alt 720ft.jpg
    Screenshot P2V+ 29 July 2015 Distance 8039.2ft Alt 720ft.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 286
  • Screenshot_2017-02-01-11-19-17-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-02-01-11-19-17-1.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 342
Hey Paul,
I doubt it is the wifi module, as it only transmits and receives data from camera/bird, and extender. If the pictures on your SD card, are bad, that is a direct link from camera to card REGARDLESS, the wifi module or not. So that is where your problem lies. The camera.

My next suggestion , have you updated your CAMERA firmware lately? Fc200 firmware?

Please let me know.
J Dot

Also wanted to add
When you fly out of range, you'll get connection broken, RTH INITIATED. But your says " Distant limit reached! "
So that tells me you set a limit for your flights,
Hook p2v+ to PC assistant, and check your LIMIT settings.
You may need to increase them for longer range.

Let me know.
J Dot

Hey Paul,
I doubt it is the wifi module, as it only transmits and receives data from camera/bird, and extender. If the pictures on your SD card, are bad, that is a direct link from camera to card REGARDLESS, the wifi module or not. So that is where your problem lies. The camera.

My next suggestion , have you updated your CAMERA firmware lately? Fc200 firmware?

Please let me know.
J Dot
Camera ? ****** I was hoping it wasn't that - Yes indeed - actually 1st thing this morning I updated the camera firmware - AGAIN as I did it end of last year when I changed out the other camera that was giving trouble ( not the same trouble )
Can Camera & Gimbal unit be repaired for a reasonable price if there is somewhere to have it checked out or just replace it? Cost is a factor here because I am not about to go that route if it's gonna cost a pile - just don't need it that badly.............sorry to say but true.

Also wanted to add
When you fly out of range, you'll get connection broken, RTH INITIATED. But your says " Distant limit reached! "
So that tells me you set a limit for your flights,
Hook p2v+ to PC assistant, and check your LIMIT settings.
You may need to increase them for longer range.

Let me know.
J Dot
I can't get the distance I used to get NO & YES RTH is initiated around 2500ft distance nowadays. My distance limit is still set at 8000ft Altitude is set at 6000ft. Set in the Assistant but of course it cannot get that distance or altitude again which is why I am here........................

Do you still have your old camera/gimbal?
You can swap camera units, and check.
I know a guy that does camera repairs, in California, or look for just the camera unit on eBay, you should not have to replace the whole gimbal, the problem is most likely there, I doubt it is the main board, but your guess is as good as mine.

As far as distance goes, I'm not sure I can help you, as it is not my field, but there are a lot of things to take into consideration , antenna orientation, possible faulty antenna wires, bad connection, solar flares, RFinterferance ( could be the issue ? ) which version plus do you have?
The pic above shows you reaching the 8,000' mark, and some, so I see you have hit it before, if you have a v2 or earlier, you might try to shield the gps and wires, to reduce RF interference.? Not really sure?

Where in the world are you? I have a disassembled ( missing a few screws and button ) plus camera/gimbal, I might be able to part out to you, at least to use as a diagnostic, anyhow. ( if you do not have your old camera still.

Let me know
J Dot

Do you still have your old camera/gimbal?
You can swap camera units, and check.
I know a guy that does camera repairs, in California, or look for just the camera unit on eBay, you should not have to replace the whole gimbal, the problem is most likely there, I doubt it is the main board, but your guess is as good as mine.

As far as distance goes, I'm not sure I can help you, as it is not my field, but there are a lot of things to take into consideration , antenna orientation, possible faulty antenna wires, bad connection, solar flares, RFinterferance ( could be the issue ? ) which version plus do you have?
The pic above shows you reaching the 8,000' mark, and some, so I see you have hit it before, if you have a v2 or earlier, you might try to shield the gps and wires, to reduce RF interference.? Not really sure?

Where in the world are you? I have a disassembled ( missing a few screws and button ) plus camera/gimbal, I might be able to part out to you, at least to use as a diagnostic, anyhow. ( if you do not have your old camera still.

Let me know
J Dot
Hi Jerry
No I'm afraid I don't have my old camera unit
The distance isn't really the main issue anymore - having good pic/vid when I fly is.
I am in Belize Jerry - not sure you'd want to send down your disassembled camera/gimbal but I do appreciate the offer.
Thanks for your input my friend
Paul

Some time ago there was a guy selling complete camera/gimbal set ups from P2V+ that he was stripping for parts - any ideas?

Hey Paul,
If it was here on this site, it was member ( HUNCH ) his real name is Hani.

If it was eBay
This was the guy, and still is.
( Pboutin123 ) eBay seller name, his real name is Paul.

Actually Paul,
I have the parts, and don't mind sending to you, just don't want the shipping to kill us., it is funny, cause I have another guy/member needing the mainboard, as his is bad, so I'm going to be parting it out anyway. Up to you, let me know, or if you want to shop elsewhere first, if you will help with shipping, I'd be happy to send to you. I usually try to send FREE stuff, as I love to help people when I can ( not enough of that in the world any longer, plus I'm a rebel anyway! ) lol. The ENJOYMENT of making someone's day, is payment in full, as far as I'm concerned! But like I said, I'm not worried about the parts, honestly, but I'm sure shipping is going to ding us.

Take care, and keep me updated!

J Dot

Hey Paul,
If it was here on this site, it was member ( HUNCH ) his real name is Hani.

If it was eBay
This was the guy, and still is.
( Pboutin123 ) eBay seller name, his real name is Paul.

Actually Paul,
I have the parts, and don't mind sending to you, just don't want the shipping to kill us., it is funny, cause I have another guy/member needing the mainboard, as his is bad, so I'm going to be parting it out anyway. Up to you, let me know, or if you want to shop elsewhere first, if you will help with shipping, I'd be happy to send to you. I usually try to send FREE stuff, as I love to help people when I can ( not enough of that in the world any longer, plus I'm a rebel anyway! ) lol. The ENJOYMENT of making someone's day, is payment in full, as far as I'm concerned! But like I said, I'm not worried about the parts, honestly, but I'm sure shipping is going to ding us.

Take care, and keep me updated!

J Dot
Hi Jerry
Yes I believe the guys name is Hunch I found him whilst researching last night - he definitely is selling off a bunch of parts.
I have to say Jerry that your offer is very generous.If you have a 100% working complete gimbal with camera for the P2V+ that would be terrific my friend. I was also looking for the on bird WiFi unit (vented) I think the V3 version? As I really do believe that is part of the problem we discussed.
Do you have this unit also Jerry? If so I would be more than willing to pay for the shipping - possibly via Paypal if that would be ok with you?
It's funny you know I had a back up P2V+ that I sent up to my son in Miami November last year & he's loving it - I ended up with the dud one.....lol
Jerry I like the way you think - guess 2 rebels may just make this old bird work again????
Thanks again for the offer man it is very kind of you indeed
Hope you have a great weekend
Best regards
Paul

Hey Paul,
I do have several working plus camera/gimbals, I think 4, maybe 5?
Unfortunately I do not have any extra wifi modules, as they have gotten quite expensive, around $175 I believe, I do have a buddy that sells them, and I think that is his price, everywhere else is well over $200. Plus he guarantees his stuff. 100%.

If you want to get ahold of him, please feel free to, but he is California time, so please be courteous of that.

His name is Mike Holt
( he has cameras, and wifi's ) if you want everything sent together? Up to you, or I'll sell you the camera, whatever is more convenient for you ( mine are used, his are new, but he might have some used? )
He likes to pull new crafts apart, for just this thing.
Phone:
530-277-5366
Or his email is
( [email protected] )

Either way let me know,

J Dot

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members