New used Vision2+ owner here to learn

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I just picked up a used Vision2+ v3.0 for the VP at my work. He stepped up to the Inspire and sold me his Vision2+ at a good price. Our company does some work with DJI so the last time the quad was serviced it was from DJI. I have not have time to fly it yet but have done some checks once I installed the DJI Vision app on my iPhone.

What are some of the things to look for that commonly fail or wear on these devices? Any must have upgrades?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd suggest starting with the "Ultimate Phantom Guide" on that page.

There really isn't much that wears on the Phantom. Most crash or get lost before any significant wear can happen.

Just off the top of my head..

Check battery and see If it is puffy.. check the cycles.. If puffy, time the flight and watch the battery meter. 18-25 minute is a good battery.
Look at the props, if grassy or scratched = tips overs.
Look at the landing skids = bent is a hard landing..
Move the props when attached to the motors. They should have some magnetic resistance and move "robotically" (hard to describe).
Turn her on without the props and rotate and see if the camera has any gimbal issues. Move to one extreme and the other to see if there is an angle the gimbal sleeps more than the other. Check if there is tilt issues, you cant see it unless you get some footage.
Look at the 3 grey cables coming down from the phantom to the gimbal board. Unplug the clip in one and inspect. If the clip is broken = whiplash crash.
if you have a smart/phone device for FPV, set it 640x480 @ 30fps. If you can't get this to display in close range, then the wifi module could have overheated.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots. Even though you signed up a long time ago.
When you do get all things lined up and ready to fly, don't forget the tracker.
So many stories of searching and searching and finding nothing. Don't let it happen to you.

Personally I would enable Naza mode in the Assistant right from the start. They say it's an advanced mode, but all you have to do is flip the s2 switch (the one on the top left) all the way up and it's exactly the same as flying in non-naza. In the meantime, you gain the benefit of home lock, which can be a life saver for bringing your phantom back when you get disoriented (and you will get disoriented - we all do). At the same time, make sure dynamic home point is NOT enabled, at least not to start.

Don't try to fly by FPV (first person view). Just use the video feed to help you frame shots and get yourself oriented from time to time.

Another tip to help you stay oriented is to turn your body in the same direction as your phantom. That way left and right for the phantom will be left and right for you. Sometimes this isn't possible if it means turning your back on your phantom, but otherwise, it's very helpful and could save you from a few crashes (a lot of tree crashes occur when someone tries to avoid a tree, but has gotten disoriented and ends up steering right into the tree).

UP is usually safe and throttling up (with your left stick) should be your first panic reaction in a pinch.

Do NOT crash your drone into the White House. They don't like that.

Do NOT run your batteries down to 0. Try to land before they drop below 40%.

Do NOT upgrade firmware right away when it's released. Wait for more experienced pilots to test it out and post back here if they find issues.

Flying backwards is a great way to fly fast with out the props ending up in your video - just be careful. Read the manual, but also read the guide linked to above.

If your experiencing problems with the tilt wheel for the camera, follow MoparBob's bobs instructions in the sticky to the letter, even if a step seems illogical or contradicts messages in the RC Assitant and/or Vision assistant (those are the 2 desktop apps for your vision plus).

There is more, but that's about all the advice that I can think of right now.

CityZen said:
I'd suggest starting with the "Ultimate Phantom Guide" on that page.

There really isn't much that wears on the Phantom. Most crash or get lost before any significant wear can happen.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the feedback. I will follow up on all your suggestions and read up. I haven't much fly time since I've had it. I'm finding it takes a while to locate the GPS and get the green lights going after compass calibration. First flight I forgot to remove the guard on the Gimbal, seems to work after I removed it. Second flight I wanted to test the Return To Home mode but didn't follow the first sentence in the Training Manual stating "Be sure you are in a large open area". A real bone head move. When taking off I was about 20 feet from a tree, when the RTH mode was active to landed the PV2+ right into a tree before I could intercept RTH mode. No visible damage. Battery was to low to start it back up again to do flight test. If the props are restricted in movement do the motors get damage?

PhantomMaxx said:
If the props are restricted in movement do the motors get damage?
That, or you could destroy the ESCs. If either happens though, you'll know when you try to fly again.

Before dusk/night flying, make sure you know the forecast for the following day. Trying to find a fly away tomorrow after 12" of snow tonight is impossible. Trust me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl