New update, weird response, massive crash

Reaction score
Ok, I had just updated the firmware for the controller and copter. Put on a new set of props and went for a flight.

It was all good, the battery started getting low and I brought it home. I was running out the last bit of battery just a few feet off the ground as I have done many times.

When it got to 10% I was informed that "critical battery level is reached, returning to home". The drone went straight up until it hit the trees, then fell about 40 feet and, well, you can imagine.

But guys I am trying to figure out why the response to critical low battery is to go into a "return to home" mode. You have 10% power and you're going to fly home? It gave me a 10 second warning, and I tried every combination of input to take back control of the drone I knew, to no avail. It was going home.

Just a warning on the new upgrade guys. Check carefully. Review the low battery level responses and all of that. I didn't, now I don't have a drone.

Comments? Questions?

Reactions: JJErrico
Well, firstly I've never taken a flight to a 10% battery and never will so I'd not get into that situation. Secondly, can I suggest to find exactly what happened, you upload your flight log here...
DJI Flight Log Viewer

Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here should be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

But guys I am trying to figure out why the response to critical low battery is to go into a "return to home" mode. You have 10% power and you're going to fly home? It gave me a 10 second warning, and I tried every combination of input to take back control of the drone I knew, to no avail. It was going home.
How very odd. It should auto land at critical battery, not RTH. Upload your flight log at the link below and lets see if we can find out why. Be sure and post a link back here for your log when uploaded.

DJI Flight Log Viewer

It was all good, the battery started getting low and I brought it home. I was running out the last bit of battery just a few feet off the ground as I have done many times. When it got to 10% I was informed that "critical battery level is reached, returning to home". The drone went straight up until it hit the trees, then fell about 40 feet and, well, you can imagine.
Did you move away from the home point after taking off? I'm asking because if you were within 20m of the home point when RTH was initiated, your P3 should have landed at its current location without ascending. Same for critical battery. I'm looking forward to seeing the flight log on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJErrico
After reading this again, you could have mistaken Low battery for Critical battery. At the low battery point it gives you the 10 second warning to cancel RTH. At critical battery the AC should auto land immediately with no warning. So is it possible that you simply did not cancel RTH at low battery?? The log can confirm that I believe.

Guys,
I have already disassembled to evaluate the damage. If there is a way to retrieve flight logs without reassembly I would love to post for your review.

(BTW, the compass connector pulled free from the main board, anyone have any success repairing that? That is the biggest issue other than the gimbal is trashed.)

I had a low battery warning set at 25%. I brought it back to the launch point. I then flew it nearby, if I was more than 20 meters from the homepoint it couldn't have been by much. I have typically done this just to evaluate the drones behavior. In the past it has attempted to land itself, and since I was typically over grass and only a couple of feet up this was not an issue.

I know that in the heat of the moment I may have made an error. That has to be the answer. I screwed up. But the sequence that I recall was that it reached critical battery, informed me that the drone would return to home in 10 seconds, I began trying to get it on the ground, but when the 10 seconds hit, it went into RTH. And I pulled levers every way I knew to no avail.

Ultimately, no mater what the details, it was pilot error. But I really want to research this RTH as a response to low battery. That just seems so wrong.

If there is a way to retrieve flight logs without reassembly I would love to post for your review.
As @Numone noted in his above post, follow the instructions in the link he posted. If you are still using an iPad, use that process. There's even a video. Unfortunately, the video shows uploading to Healthy Drones (Airdata), but don't do that. Instead, upload to the link provided earlier and then post a link to the flight back here.

Ultimately, no mater what the details, it was pilot error. But I really want to research this RTH as a response to low battery. That just seems so wrong.
No research required, its right there in the manual.

Manual.JPG

No research required, its right there in the manual.

View attachment 86727
The issue the OP stated..
"When it got to 10% I was informed that "critical battery level is reached, returning to home". The drone went straight up until it hit the trees, then fell about 40 feet and, well, you can imagine."
I think it's the bold bit that isn't in the manual and which, ultimately, caused the issue hence why we need to see the log?

"When it got to 10% I was informed that "critical battery level is reached, returning to home". The drone went straight up until it hit the trees, then fell about 40 feet and, well, you can imagine."
I think it's the bold bit that isn't in the manual and which, ultimately, caused the issue hence why we need to see the log?
Isn't that why we both said earlier to see the log? Being that the occurrence was apparently the opposite of what "should have occurred"? Its all speculation without that, wouldn't you agree?

Isn't that why we both said earlier to see the log? Being that the occurrence was apparently the opposite of what "should have occurred"? Its all speculation without that, wouldn't you agree?
Yep, I do... which was why I suggested it in the first place, and then a second place...what the hell, I'll go for a third...

Newt59? C'mon.... upload that looo-ooorg! :)

I tried to find how to load without reassembly. It is apparently beyond my meager ability. So as soon as I can put it back together I will load the logs. Can't wait to see it myself.

Patience guys, I have a business trip this week, so it may be a few days.

Thanks to all

The issue the OP stated..
If the bird was going into RTH mode, the first thing it does is to climb to the preset RTH height! Sounds like that's what happened here. OP was unlucky in that the bird was under a tree branch lower than RTH height.

If the bird was going into RTH mode, the first thing it does is to climb to the preset RTH height! Sounds like that's what happened here. OP was unlucky in that the bird was under a tree branch lower than RTH height.

That's the odd thing though- and I agree with the OP in not understanding why at "critical low battery" it would do THE RTH ascend and Return.
No way it should have done anything else but land.
Even if it was over 20m away.
That's just wrong.

If there is a way to retrieve flight logs without reassembly I would love to post for your review.
As @Numone noted in his above post, follow the instructions in the link he posted. If you are still using an iPad, use that process. There's even a video. Unfortunately, the video shows uploading to Healthy Drones (Airdata), but don't do that. Instead, upload to the link provided earlier and then post a link to the flight back here.
I tried to find how to load without reassembly. It is apparently beyond my meager ability. So as soon as I can put it back together I will load the logs. Can't wait to see it myself.
A reminder for when you return - you don't need your P3 to get and upload the log. Your P3 can be in the ocean and you can still do it. In fact, many people have uploaded their logs after losing their P3's with the hope that the community could help find it with the log data from their mobile device. Since you've noted a couple of times that you do want to upload the info, I hope that helps. Cheers!

Reactions: Numone
Unfortunately Richard, that not correct; in the case of a critically low battery - it just lands - see Fly Dawg post - its #8 above. This is the reason why we'd like to see the flight log, to ascertain why the AC suddenly ascended.

Guys,
I have already disassembled to evaluate the damage. If there is a way to retrieve flight logs without reassembly I would love to post for your review.
Just pull the micro SD card (on the main board) and read it directly on your computer. Standard format.

Reactions: Newt59
For heavens sake..... The flight logs are contained within the GO app; you do not need to tear-down your Aircraft to access the SD card on the main board.

For my second stab at this, please see this for instructions how to access them on your device and upload them....

you do not need to tear-down your Aircraft to access the SD card on the main board.
That was my thought as well. Why? Unless the data from the telemetry transmitted file did not reveal enough information. Why would you pull the engine to change a spark plug....Jees oh pete....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga