New to drones - concerned about CSC

Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering the purchase of a new Phantom 3.

However, I have read accounts of people (mainly newbies to drones, as I am) inadvertently entering commands with the joysticks to shut down the motors. I also understand it is not common. However, it would be nice to avoid this altogether.

This is probably no issue for experienced pilots, but for new pilots who would be rather nervous during first flights, I can easily see how the CSC command might be accidentally issued by a panicked or unskilled pilot.

I have been on several forums including the DJI forum researching this topic and just found this forum tonight.

I do realize that one should thoroughly read the manual, however, there is no substitute for practise. Getting from zero to proficient pilot on one Phantom would be desirable.

So my question is how do you become proficient without accidentally sending CSC command?

Thank you

It's nearly impossible to do a CSC in the air unless you're horsing around. If this was really an issue, DJI would have disabled it a long time ago.

+2 there is not really any scenario where you would accidentally do a csc.

Don't fly like a dingbat. Treat your "toy" like a piece of nasa equipment and keep In the back of your mind the both sticks down and in or down and out is a big no no.

Keep your first few flights low. Under 100 agl. And just practice up and downs and pans and rotates. Until your sticks become second nature. The uav really does fly itself so don't need to be too concerned about correcting with full sticks. Minor adjustment only makes for a safe flight and smooth video.

Hope you get one. Best 1500 I've ever spent.

You have already solved the problem.

You have read and understood what it is an how it is triggered.
Once you know and understand that then the highly unlikely and kinda silly scenario becomes an impossible one.

I can't recall seeing a 'I knew doing this would crash my craft but accidentally did it any way' thread, rather I see 'I crashed my craft' followed by 'What's a CSC?' or 'I didn't think that could happen mid air' or 'I since found out about CSC' or variants.

I could be mistaken but I think there are 4 categories:
1. Those that are appropriately aware of CSC and other things and this won't happen to.
2. Those that are aren't fully aware of CSC but haven't done this as it is a way too aggressive maneuver to perform unless you are experienced in which case you fall into category 1.
3. Those who have accidentally done this not being appropriately aware, crashed and now are in category 1.
4. Those who aren't appropriately aware and are at risk of being in category 3.

Simply by doing your research you have avoided the problem. I'd also add that the P3 is so remarkably stable and 'boring' to fly that I can't think of an alternative for you that would have less risk. I'd caveat that by saying if you are completely new to quadcopters make it the best 1700 you have ever spend and grab a cheap-ish mini quad to practice on for understanding and control for reasons other than CSC

Agree with what other people have said, I can't see any way to trigger CSC.

I've heard one forum member did it while following around a high speed boat and turning while descending, but that stuff seems rare to me.

Just don't worry about it and you should be fine

I don't think I've ever had a need to put a stick to full extension in any direction, let alone full extension in 4 different directions!
Trumple is right. Anyway, JKD, it is strange to be here and say "I am planning to get P3". Honestly, the feeling of flying P3 alone costs more than a grand. Go buy it, do not worry, this thing will fly even if you make all mistakes possible (including compass calibration - I did it first time absolutely wrong) but it works.

I dunno.. Fast descent plus backing the quad to you can cause it? That can be relatively common in case of an emergency (battery failure). I thought it was down and to the sides only?

I dunno.. Fast descent plus backing the quad to you can cause it? That can be relatively common in case of an emergency (battery failure). I thought it was down and to the sides only?
No ...
There's no need for this sort of misinformation.
The manual is very clear.
These are the only CSC positions with the P3.
Check it out with your own on the ground with no props.
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

Seriously? Your second day on the forum you asked the same question and you received the SAME ANSWERS.

You should put your bird away. Some people just cannot be helped.

No .. the motors WILL NOT shut off if you push the throttle all the way down for 3 seconds in flight.
Repeat .. WILL NOT shut off in flight.
That will shut off the motors when you have landed or caught and the Phantom is not descending but not in flight.
It is completely safe to descend vertically at full speed from high up.
Here's what the manual says about it ...
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

Why so many ways to csc? I think DJI should reduce that to one way, other than left stick all the way down when craft is grounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly don't understand how people keep doing this. I have only ascended at full throttle a couple of times and that was early on when I realized I needed to gain altitude to avoid a tree or something. Once you become mildly competent of your craft you will find you use very slight and deliberate input into the sticks. If you were to enter CSC command you would basically be sending your bird into a batshit crazy downward spiral of death. Even when I am out goofing around, you are generally getting aggressive with one stick or the other - traveling at a high rate of speed but not ascending or descending much or ascending/descending quickly however not moving moving front/back/left/right much.

Long story short, if you are flying your bird in a manner to enter CSC accidentally, you are likely going to crash it into something before that happens because you flying like a crazy person.

My 2 cents. Though not worth much these days.

Why so many ways to csc? I think DJI should reduce that to one way, other than left stick all the way down when craft is grounded.

This is the one that scares me the most. I'm new to flying this way, so it worries me a lot that I might accidentally pull down the left stick too low and it turns off while I'm descending from a high altitude. I wish that could be disabled somehow in the software.

Pulling the left stick all the way down while in flight will not stop the motors. You need the 2 stick combos to do that.

It takes more than one stick and one 100% input.

It is well documented on the forum that descending with full left stick will NOT turn off the motors. It will NOT do that until it senses it has stopped descending (landed) and you then continue holding the left stick down for 3 seconds.

Reactions: 92lambie
My personal opinion (and we all have one) is that CSC motor shut down is probably not ideal. It seems a better solution would be to allow user activation or deactivation of this feature. For example, why would CSC motor shutdown be necessary if flying in areas where there are no people to injure or property to damage? Given human nature, I would not classify someone as an "idiot" simply because they are nervous and make a mistake. For some, $1300 is a significant purchase and I for one can understand how a person new to drones might get very nervous and make mistakes early on.

I have personally seen very highly skilled RC pilots lose their very expensive planes and helicopters to user error. For that matter, I have even seen real pilots make mistakes at airshows and lose their real airplanes.
Highly trained commercial pilots ran a Lockheed L1011 into the Florida everglades in 1972 over a burned out light bulb. So in the real world, highly skilled pilots do make serious mistakes even after years of extensive training.

Nonetheless, I believe the Phantom to be a very well made piece of equipment and simply hope to avoid making this particular mistake myself.

I have downloaded as much material as I can get my hands on and am reading it but I have this question....

Suppose I accidentally use CSC during flight and shut down the motors. Does the interface tell you that the motors have been shutdown? And can I simply quickly issue the CSC start motor command to restart the motors? Is there any audible warning for CSC motor shutdown?

Thank you again. the answers have been very educational so far.

Reactions: ScottyT
I have seen a video of someone intentionally do a CSC from a fairly high altitude and restart and recover. Not something i would even try. However i might try a recover if it ever did happen.

Reactions: JKDSensei

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl