Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

New Phantom II motors and esc's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stinger, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Stinger

Hi,

I presently own a Phantom 1 and want to upgrade its' motors and esc's with the newly released Phantom II motors and esc's.
    Does anyone know if these new components are compatible with the Phantom I? I wrote to DJI and they advised me that they weren't and suggested that I purchase a Phantom II. If not, why? Will I need to make any additional upgrades to my Phantom I in order to make the new motors and esc's compatible?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. CityZen

They are compatible.

3. Stinger

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I wrote to DJI themselves and they advised that they weren't and suggested that I purchase a Phantom II, something Im trying to resist. I like everything about the Phantom II but the new battery. They are expensive and take too long to charge.

4. CityZen

Note that my answer isn't based on actual experience, but on the fact that the Naza module was originally made to be part of a kit that would work with any ESC's and motors. There's no reason it shouldn't work.

The Phantom 2 batteries are double the capacity of regular P1 batteries. You can expect them to take twice as long to charge. But yes, I hate the fact that they put the chip in them that prevents 3rd parties from easily making compatible (more competitively priced) batteries.

5. Stinger

Thanks, I don't believe there is any reason why they shouldn't work either and was confused when DJI advised me that they wouldn't work. That's why I came here in hopes to get an answer from someone who has more experience then me. I appreciate you response and tend to agree with you that there is no reason why they shouldn't work.

Regarding the new batteries. You can get twice the fly time as I can with my traditional batteries. I average about 8 mins or longer depending on the battery I use. with a gimbal but I can charge 4 batteries in 30 mins while still flying with my other 4 batteries. The new batteries take well over an hour to charge and even if you spend the extra $125.00 on additional battery you will still need to wait at least an hour or more before the first battery has completely charged. I can fly all day, non stop, if I wanted just by fly four and while charging four. Even the additional cost of having 8 or more batteries is less of an expense then purchasing 2 of the new batteries

This is the main reason why I want to keep my Phantom I and upgrade the motors.

Thanks