Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

New Phantom FC-40

Discussion in 'Phantom FC40 Discussion' started by Uhrlto, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Uhrlto

Dec 4, 2013
    ok, I hope that someone will have the answers to these questions before tomorrow at 8pm pst.
    I had to send back my phantom 1 to amazon due to ESC and motor problems. My options were to get another Phantom one or to order a phantom FC-40, I went with the 40 thinking that the 5.6ghz freq would be better and that it has to be a better craft then its predecessor. After it was ordered I started to do some research which prompted this hectic email. It seems that the FC-40 is a lesser piece of equipment then the Phantom 1. So I need to know some basics stuff.
    My phantom one was for aerial videography mostly. I have a GOPRO hero 3 and tarot 2d gimbal plus carbon fiber props. I did not use it with FPV or did I care about fantastic range.

1. I do need to know if the FC-40 will support the 7th X1 channel for tilt functions?
    2. Do I need to buy a separate kit for tilt functions?
    3. What is the real range (line of sight) for the FC-40 (stock)

I called a number of hobby shops and got varied answers to these questions, USA hobby in Las Vegas said that if I had a Phantom 1 the FC-40 is virtually identical Is that the truth?

Thanks in advance for any help here.
  2. Mandrake

Mar 29, 2014
    1. Yes it does have the 7th channel -
    2. Needs the lever add on kit ..
    3. Should be the same as Phantom 1 - I lose sight of mine around 300 metres ( bad eyes !! )
    4. See 3 above ...

The big problem with the FC40 is getting OSD to work as the thing runs on 5.8Ghz not 2.4Ghz - however the little FC40 camera is pretty good for FPV - with the right phone / tablet / monitor ..

Hope that helps ya a bit ...

3. Jermz

Mar 8, 2014
    The difference in the phantom itself us the 5gig transmitter vs the 2gig. There isn't any other difference in the hardware. It comes with a 2.4 wifi camera, and that's really it. The controller doesn't have the pitch control lever on it, that's a ten dollar part and about half an hour to get it going. The gimbal goes on, no trouble. I have the cheap Chinese gimbal on my phantom, and it's no issue.

You can use the wifi from the gopro, it's helpful for setting up shots, I never use it to pilot the phantom. A hero 3+ has about the same lag time as the fc40 camera, the hero 3 is a bit more laggy. The fc40 camera is actually not too darn bad, obviously it's not a gopro, but it's much better than I expected.

If you want to add osd or do serious fpv, it's a bit more difficult with the fc40. Most of that is made yo tin on 5.8, and finding it on 2.4 or 1.2 is a bit harder, it doesn't seem to work as well on the lower freqs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk