New Firmware update for DJ I Phantom 4 Today

Like any software or firmware update these days.. early adopter beware. My p4 works fine so i simply dont update apps or firmware. If i do and they brick me or reduce features add limits id be kicking myself. If it aint broke... dont fix it!
Smart Person !!!

Smart Person !!!

I am a Software guy and was thinking as WHEN it makes sense to update firmware on my P4P. Each FW update has two lists: improvements and fixes. If I don't see myself using those features, I don't update. The problem is their update list use general words like " gimbal blah blah improvements.
Delaying updates frequently is also safer protecting me against nasty bugs at EARLY stages of release.

They can get fairly bad with their grammer and language they use. You almost need a DJI Technical Writing Translator App to figure out what they mean. :)

Don't forget, you can fly the drone manually with the remote, without being connected to any device or app at all (some people don't know that or forget that), so what they should probably say is, "when the DJI Go app is not connected to or being used to fly the aircraft", or something like that. They aren't actually talking about connecting to the internet. They are talking about the wireless connection from the app to the drone itself through the remote. Once you log into the app the first time, you stay logged in for good unless you manually log out, internet connection or not.

I'm not sure about Litchi, though.

When you are "connected" it generally means you are "communicating" with that device. It could be through a physical connection (USB) or wireless.
"Logged in" generally means you are logged into a device (like router) or internet site.
I also read on dji site from a dji rep that you don't need internet access to fly.
They also mention dji compatible apps. Litchi is a dji compatible app.So your explanation is exactly what I got out of all that.
By this, they are setting limits when using ONLY the sticks.

Only an observation, but maybe this thread has had its day, since there actually isn't any new P4 (std) firmware since last November. If and when there is NEW firmware released, we'll make it a new topic of conversation....

Good idea , as I re read this thread this morning and there was no need for me too lol.
Yep, I know the post is there, but every time I see it I get a strange compulsion to click on it just to see if there is really something new afoot...

Reactions: RémyHeli
No ...that's not what I'm saying at all.
I just posted the What's new straight from DJI.
I'm sure their (confusing) wording will be interpreted in all sorts of ways (again).
I wouldn't expect DJI to prevent you flying without an internet connection - it wouldn't make any sense if they did.

DJI don't refuse warranty just because the Phantom was being flown with Litchi.
But if you fly with a 3rd party app and can't produce the Phantom after losing it, they don't have the recorded data in the Phantom to back up the claim.
If there's a definite problem with the Phantom and you can hand over the wreckage, you stand a good chance of a warranty claim whatever app you fly with.

From the horses mouth, it's an aggressive safety measure for flying with just the controller, no tablet or phone connected to remote. Glad my old P2 can still get out there with Star Trek and friends.

I updated to new firmware version and now it won't fly as fast or climb as fast. Any ideas?

It "breaks" a lot of different things in a lot of different areas of software control ... this update was obviously not at all well tested ... thousands of people now have many new issues they never had before. I strongly suggest you revert back to the previous firmware for both RC and AC ... until DJI gets their act together and releases a new, well tested version that doesn't remove or reduce functionality, remove or reduce current capabilities and add communications instability like their most recent release currently does !!! It is a classic example of very poor software quality control and verification. Obviously there was little to no regression testing/comparison with former release functionality.

It "breaks" a lot of different things in a lot of different areas of software control ... this update was obviously not at all well tested ... thousands of people now have many new issues they never had before. I strongly suggest you revert back to the previous firmware for both RC and AC ... until DJI gets their act together and releases a new, well tested version that doesn't remove or reduce functionality, remove or reduce current capabilities and add communications instability like their most recent release currently does !!! It is a classic example of very poor software quality control and verification. Obviously there was little to no regression testing/comparison with former release functionality.
How do I revert back without the restriction in place
How do I revert back without the flight restriction in place

FInd a copy of GL300E_RC_V1130_20170307 for the RC and copy to your mini-SD card and load it onto the RC "local" option. Then go into the RC settings menu and select to reset all data to factory defaults. Next use DJI Assistant 2 s/w loaded on a PC and connect your aircraft up to the PC via the supplied cords. Open DJI Assistant 2 and when connected to the drone, reset all data to factory defaults then select version 01.03.0509 of available downgrade versions. Load that version. Then when done it will reboot ... then shut down the aircraft. Finally connect the RC to the AC, turning on the RC 1st, then the AC ... mine connected without issues. Do not allow the update banners that flash at startup to sway you do do anything ... choose to "delay" or "later" or "ignore", etc. ... just don't allow an upgrade. Also, go into the upgrade option in the menu and touch the 3 dots in the upper right corner to select NO WAN ... to turn off automatic downloads over wireless. The idea is to not allow ANY automatic updates to happen ... all updates should ONLY be done via the file on SD LOCAL card option. BTW, when 1st starting you will need to log in on the RC ... after logging in turn off the WIFI and keep it off until they finally release a PROVEN good new firmware update ... that is my strong recommendation to you :).

Reactions: Nick Mendocino
I am a Software guy and was thinking as WHEN it makes sense to update firmware on my P4P. Each FW update has two lists: improvements and fixes. If I don't see myself using those features, I don't update. The problem is their update list use general words like " gimbal blah blah improvements.
Delaying updates frequently is also safer protecting me against nasty bugs at EARLY stages of release.
Very wise words !!! Delay any impulses to jump on an upgrade when it appears !!! Give it time to be well vetted by thousands of other users first and if sound, then do the upgrade based on the criteria quoted.

FInd a copy of GL300E_RC_V1130_20170307 for the RC and copy to your mini-SD card and load it onto the RC "local" option. Then go into the RC settings menu and select to reset all data to factory defaults. Next use DJI Assistant 2 s/w loaded on a PC and connect your aircraft up to the PC via the supplied cords. Open DJI Assistant 2 and when connected to the drone, reset all data to factory defaults then select version 01.03.0509 of available downgrade versions. Load that version. Then when done it will reboot ... then shut down the aircraft. Finally connect the RC to the AC, turning on the RC 1st, then the AC ... mine connected without issues. Do not allow the update banners that flash at startup to sway you do do anything ... choose to "delay" or "later" or "ignore", etc. ... just don't allow an upgrade. Also, go into the upgrade option in the menu and touch the 3 dots in the upper right corner to select NO WAN ... to turn off automatic downloads over wireless. The idea is to not allow ANY automatic updates to happen ... all updates should ONLY be done via the file on SD LOCAL card option. BTW, when 1st starting you will need to log in on the RC ... after logging in turn off the WIFI and keep it off until they finally release a PROVEN good new firmware update ... that is my strong recommendation to you :).
Thank you very much. It may be several days before I have time to do so. Love the drone, hate the firmware.

It wouldn't be so bad IFFFFFF they actually did some true regression testing and functionality validation BEFORE releasing it to the masses. Their software quality control is horrendous !!!

Aircraft does know logon acceptance until powered off. If you exit GO app the logon is still active from P4 perspective aka unlocked.

Last edited:
I finally got to mess with beloved drone again today. Assist 2 doesn't show any older firmware updates. Cannot locate RC files to download. Wheat ahead and put latest firmware update in and drone will only fly 90 ft up and 50 ft away. I'm ready to use this thing as a 1500 dollar target. Please help.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z