New Firmware update for DJ I Phantom 4 Today

Oh OK. It was somebody here that said dji will not warranty your quad if you use third party apps. That's what I was going by. I figured if that was incorrect someone would correct it.

I don't know any other way to interpret "To ensure safety, the flight will be limited to 30 m height and 50 m distance if you’re not connected or logged into to the DJI GO 4 app during flight". I mean that's pretty cut and dry. Do I believe it? No but you know that statement is going to have everyone in an uproar, again.

I received the same pop-up msg today with my P4 but no update was required yet.
For the record, it does not say you must be "Connected to the internet" It says you must be "connected and logged into the DJI Go 4 app"
I don't understand why so many people are losing their minds over this stuff.

Well I'm not trippin, but it does say "you must be connected and logged into the DJI Go app".
In today's world "connected" usually refers to the net. So I can understand why some people are taking it this way. But we're all here to help and learn so when someone misunderstands something we should all be a little more understanding.

Ease up on the paranoia.
Yes, the firmware is related to the recent app update but that's not indicative of anything sinister.
Here's what's new for this firmware:
What’s New?
3. To ensure safety, the flight will be limited to 30 m height and 50 m distance if you’re not connected or logged into to the DJI GO 4 app during flight.

If this is the case how about third party software like litchi or FPV Camera. When using them the DJI GO 4 app must be closed. Will that mean that you Will be limited then. All third party software would be worthless then. Grt

With fear of sounding redundant.. #3 states as follows "To ensure safety, the flight will be limited to 30m height and 50 miles distance if YOU'RE NOT CONNECTED OR LOGGED INTO the DJI Go app during flight". Are they making us use data and a device that's connected to the internet to fly? Can we not use Litchi? I'm not being a hater or going against the update, I'm just wanting to know.

During flight.. Is the key phrase.

I'm quite certain that that statement means you just have to use the go app and log in to dji's registration site, like you did when you first set it up, one time. You just have to log in once and from what I understand at least once every 90 days. After that you use whatever you want to fly.

I bought my P4 refub last Thursday, flew until Saturday evening with the firmware warning. I updated with assistant, piece of cake. I hovered in my wife's tiny back yard to check for drift and test the OA and lots of flights this weel, no need to log in again, no changes to performance that a newbie like myself can notice.

Reactions: schlepprock
I bought my P4 refub last Thursday, flew until Saturday evening with the firmware warning. I updated with assistant, piece of cake. I hovered in my wife's tiny back yard to check for drift and test the OA and lots of flights this weel, no need to log in again, no changes to performance that a newbie like myself can notice.
I didn't have to log in either. I haven't updated the firmware, the app updated itself. I haven't been prompted to update the firmware. I did get a notice this week that there would be a firmware update but it says I'm current when I fly.

I've done the update yesterday and since then my gimbal horizon level problem is worse ... my gimbal level is around 20 to 30 % out of level

Was the "update" actually a firmware update to the P4 itself? To my knowledge there is as yet no new firmware since the November one last fall.

It's not mandated, just don't update.
This is what I did , I just don't update mine , fly up to 400 feet and then out like I want to . I have had my p4 nearly one year and only did one update .i have a iPad 2 and just turn off my internet service and leave the wifi one. The same for my phantom 3 4K . Every thing is fine with me.

I've done the update yesterday and since then my gimbal horizon level problem is worse ... my gimbal level is around 20 to 30 % out of level
Dang that's a bummer. I think I finally got my horizon tilt issue worked out. I did a IMU and gimbal calibration with everything perfectly level and the horizon stayed pretty level when I flew today. Last night I wanted to get some full moon shots and the horizon was 20-30 (maybe more like 10-15) degrees off and I couldn't adjust it out. Its was pretty dang horrible. I took a screen shot but the quality is horrible. I never got around to changing camera settings since I couldn't get the horizon straight.
Screenshot_2017-06-10-21-45-45.png

I suspect craft firmware update for P4 is not yet available in DJI servers for your region (and mine) so GO4 app pop up message does appear just too early.

New flight restrictions if not logged must be probably located in craft as pilots are not necessarily using GO4 app.

Edit: GO4 app with logged account has to be used to unlock restriction, which then remain active until craft still powered on. No internet connection is needed at field as GO4 app keeps logon.

Last edited:
With fear of sounding redundant.. #3 states as follows "To ensure safety, the flight will be limited to 30m height and 50 miles distance if YOU'RE NOT CONNECTED OR LOGGED INTO the DJI Go app during flight". Are they making us use data and a device that's connected to the internet to fly? Can we not use Litchi? I'm not being a hater or going against the update, I'm just wanting to know.

During flight.. Is the key phrase.

They can get fairly bad with their grammer and language they use. You almost need a DJI Technical Writing Translator App to figure out what they mean. :)

Don't forget, you can fly the drone manually with the remote, without being connected to any device or app at all (some people don't know that or forget that), so what they should probably say is, "when the DJI Go app is not connected to or being used to fly the aircraft", or something like that. They aren't actually talking about connecting to the internet. They are talking about the wireless connection from the app to the drone itself through the remote. Once you log into the app the first time, you stay logged in for good unless you manually log out, internet connection or not.

I'm not sure about Litchi, though.

Last edited:
Interesting! I have flown with Litchi ever since November when DJI GO kept crashing. I did one update and I got the program for an Inspire 2, not the Phantom 4. So, I dumped DJI GO and have flown Litchi since, very happily indeed! It works great and I love the Mission Hub, being able to use the Google maps to plan a flight, program the POI's and Waypoints and then it appears on my iPad ready to fly! Can't beat that. \
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Why still dji go request update at latest version on my phantom 4......my version already v01.02.0602... my remote control 1.8.0...but when i open dji go ii request to update...i already downgrade n upgrade agian....but when i open dji go it still request to upgrade v01.02.0602...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor